Great Train Expo Show

Guest Closed Account 1

they dont do the northeast, but are associated with greenberg train shows in this area (i think the same guy owns both circuits now). we always do greenberg's competitor show locally (Great Scale Model train show (http://www.gsmts.com/) as they give us a better honorarium to show the club layout and put us in the middle of the show. unfortunately most of the local greenberg trains hows are in the horse arena and layout are usually placed in side rooms that get very poor traffic. we keep talking about trying one, but activation energy has not yet been reached to do this. GSMTS also was great last time when they saw our flyers on omocha express and made a donation, thought that quite nice.

enjoy the show, are you going to have your japanese n trak modules ready for the show?

jeff

I went to the one in Columbus, Ohio over the weekend and it was a huge disappointment! But this is where I pickup the Japanese prototype bug and decide to sell off all of my Marklin.

Train shows can vary a lot. Some of the big ones just seem to be dealers' tables (which isn't bad, but I like to see modular clubs showing their stuff). The NMRA puts on regional shows which (at least the ones I've been to) have more of a focus on layouts (with plenty of dealers). On the other hand I've been to a few that seemed to be a half dozen dealers and two layouts in one room (one literally was that size, but it was a specialized show for narrow-gauge modelers, and there aren't many of those around here).

For the Northeast (and I'm not sure I'd call DC the Northeast Jeff :)  ) the big one is the annual Springfield Mass show (this coming weekend). They were up to five exhibit halls last year, and "miles" of layouts.

But I've never been part of a modular club, so I just go to these things to gawk at all the amazing layouts, and cool stuff I shouldn't buy, and sometimes come home with a few Kato buildings and some new books, some Unitrack, or occasionally a Japanese train (although that's a rare find).