Vegetable Market

Mr Frosty

It sure is ... and the surprise is at the end ... of course you can buy food that has REALLY been run over by a train.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Ghan, the Maeklong railway is a line that has always interested me. They ran for many years with a collection of tiny 4-coupled tank engines built by Krauss, then bought 2 4-6-2 tender engines from Henschel in 1952. These were quite modern locos, and they were also the last steam locos built for any Thai railway.

The railway then bought two very distinctive 1-C-1 diesel-hydraulic locos from Henschel in 1957, which were the first main-line DH locos in the country.

henschelworks.jpg

Some of the 1931-built Henschel/Sulzer diesel-electric locos were also transferred to the line when it was nationalised. They remained in service until 1977!

siamsulzeradvertloco.jpg

Even though I'm mainly a steam fan, I reckon these early diesels are very appealing. The line also had a fleet of Japanese-built diesel railcars dating from 1959. So you can see why I find this line fascinating!  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

Mate, They're so hot I could sleep with either of them.

Kinky! I bet Mrs Ghan would have something to say about that!  :laugh:

Seriously, glad you like them. It amazes me that these early diesels had such long working lives. I doubt anything being built now will last that long.

Cheers,

Mark.

Love the Henschel/Sulzer. :grin

Gorgeous machines, aren't they? There were some similar locos running in Argentina, that were still in service in 1989... tough old things.

argentinarosario3.jpg

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1

Yes, they've got more character than Thomas the Tank Engine ... and yes ... Mrs_Ghan would have something to say about it ... trains are banned in the bedroom.  :grin  :grin  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

That would amke an excellent "personal loco" if you had the space to run it.  :grin :grin

Wouldn't it just ... I'd love 50 - 100 acres to have my own private railway ... if I win the lottery.  I'm more interested in these old diesels and railcars than I am steam, actually.  I bet that puppy would handle a 20m radius too!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Wow, great locomotives !

I only knows today's maeklong line with diesel car made in Japan.

Unbelievable!

recording video on my trip

Knowing how enterprising the Thai people are, they probably charge more if your Taro was mashed by the 1st class car.

Cheers

The_Ghan