300 Series Shinkansen retirement date announced

bill937ca

Not really a surprise.  No storage space.  They've scrapped Shinkansen prototypes pretty much as soon as they are finished with them. But at least Japan does have some museums like the JR East museum.

Totally true, but doesn't explain the fact about newer trains getting scrapped earlier than older ones.

Also re 200 series vs 300 series, the 200 is JR East's, and they're not making as much money as JR Central is with the Tokaido.  JRC has got enough ridership on that line to warrant continuous upgrades.  There are the N700s and a newer variant, the N700A--English wikipedia says one set of the original 700s has already been scrapped!

English wikipedia says one set of the original 700s has already been scrapped!
What? That is really unbelievable. Probably the reason for them replacing such new models is that they want to make a more uniform fleet, but even so it costs a lot of money.
jappomania

Proof of the first 700 Series biting the dust - anyone know which set number?

I think C4, the first scrapped the past year..  :sad5:

In JR Tokai`s view slow trains restrain capacity.  Over the long term they can probably justify this by the increased revenue. Life spans can be shorter in Japan.  Example: many buildings are demolished rather than being renovated. Part of the reason is seismic provisions.  There is a constant focus on updating of products, services and processes  in Japan.

Martijn Meerts

I'm also guessing the average shinkansen travels much greater distances over shorter period of times compared to most other trains in other countries.

I'm also guessing the average shinkansen travels much greater distances over shorter period of times compared to most other trains in other countries.

Thats an interesting point of view! It makes it rather logical.

Imagine a Hakata-Tokyo round-trip a day: roughly 2000km every days. That makes 14'000km a week and a million kilometers reached in less than 18 months. Considering the speed of the train, I think that the rolling stock must use quickly.

The first 700 series set was put in service in 1999, only one year after the last 300 series. Ok, some countries have trains that are older than your grandma, but this is Japan we're talking about! ;-)

Kumo,

Spare a thought for us Australians with our pathetic rail infrastructure.  We'd be ecstatic to have a bunch of old 300 and 700 series shinkansens, and the track to run them on, of course.

I'm sure someone has done the math on the cost of service/upgrade v recycling replacement.

What has surprised me though is it appears that the very last running 300 series was scrapped - I would have thought it worthwhile preserving that one! 

If I was running JR East I would try to organise one weekend per year (perhaps during golden week) where one of each retired series was run, purely for charity and/or tourism.  I'd organise sponsors, famous people, competitions, sell tickets at premium prices, etc. and coordinate special events at certain locations.  Perhaps they do this already?

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

What has surprised me though is it appears that the very last running 300 series was scrapped - I would have thought it worthwhile preserving that one! 

There are a few 300 series cars in JR Central's new museum.  If you mean preserving the whole train, I basically agree.  I'd like to see a full consist of a few different types preserved, preferably in running condition, but I don't think this can be done with any practicality, especially in this case, with a full set being 16 cars.

If I was running JR East I would try to organise one weekend per year (perhaps during golden week) where one of each retired series was run, purely for charity and/or tourism.  I'd organise sponsors, famous people, competitions, sell tickets at premium prices, etc. and coordinate special events at certain locations.  Perhaps they do this already?

Well, I think all the JRs have at least a few excursions per season, the private railways may too although I'm not knowledgeable on that.

Even 8 cars would be good Miyakoji.

Where is JR Central's new museum?

Cheers

The_Ghan

Yeah but still, where are you going to put those 8 cars all the time?

Here's the museum:

http://museum.jr-central.co.jp/en/

obligatory wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCMaglev_and_Railway_Park

JR East's:

http://www.railway-museum.jp/en/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_Museum_%28Saitama%29

JR West's new one will be coming along in a few years near the Umekoji roundhouse.

bikkuri bahn
JR West's new one will be coming along in a few years near the Umekoji roundhouse.

That has potential to be one of the best around, especially if the private railways contribute from their collections. I hope Keihan, Hankyu and Kintetsu get involved, at least.  Recent news on this project seems nonexistent, just announcements from back in 2009.  Also, message to JR West (or JR Freight)- uncage that EH10 in Awaji!!

post-167-13569930805529_thumb.jpg

That has potential to be one of the best around, especially if the private railways contribute from their collections. I hope Keihan, Hankyu and Kintetsu get involved, at least.  Recent news on this project seems nonexistent, just announcements from back in 2009.  Also, message to JR West (or JR Freight)- uncage that EH10 in Awaji!!

It's screaming "Let me out, Let me out and be in a real museum"

It's screaming "Let me out, Let me out and be in a real museum"

it always surprises me when some things in japan will be behind a really nasty wire mesh like this. some of the temples have the same thing going on a very cheesy chicken wire that is not security but perhaps keeps out some hands but looks just awful. just moving the barrier back a foot would prevent hand from touching things. there seems to be more reverence for things in japan to not touch as bad as elsewhere. the metal cages though just look so bad. it just seems to happen at the oddest places in japan.

we have found in exhibits that when ever you armor something you get it beaten on so much more by the public. when you dont armor it and just do subtle things like positioning to help prevent folks from touching they really do respect it. so you respect your audience and they respect you. you dont respect them and the go after you!

we did a museum in the inner city in california that has lots of school groups and very little supervision in the exhibit area (one security guard downstairs and a couple of cameras, thats it, no full time exhibit guards or docents). we have 8 42" monitors for the main media presentation. thought was all of these needed to be encased in plex frames to prevent anyone touching/marring the screens or fiddling with controls. well these were going to be quite expensive and just look butt ugly and just scream we dont trust you. we decided that for the cost it was worth the risk to try w/o it and we just set them back about 24" with a low base sticking out below. if you wanted you could still reach out and touch the screen. well virtually no fingerprints ever and no damage, tagging, etc at all. we just put little black plastic covers over the controls that stick on with velcro. again no one has removed these or fiddled with controls now for 5 years.

jeff

bikkuri bahn

While the wire cage pretty much prevents anyone from enjoying a decent view of the EH, I am thankful that it also has prevented it from being vandalized, and that the sturdy roof has protected it from the elements.  However something as historically significant as this deserves a place inside a railway museum, where more people can get up close and touch it, like the rolling stock at the JR East and Central museums. I think other than local residents, no one other than railfans know this locomotive even exists, being tucked away in a mazelike Awaji neighborhood (could they even haul it away now, the road clearances being as they are??)

• Like 1

I could not find the damned park that the EH is in.  Higashi-Awaji Minami Koen right?  This is the Higashi-Awaji neighborhood that's near Hankyu Awaji right?

bikkuri bahn

Yep, that's right.  The park is not labeled in some online maps, I used the nearby Higashi Awaji Elementary school as a landmark.  Awaji is undergoing some kind of urban renewal program now, alot of old buildings are being torn down in the station shotengai area, and there are noticeably wider roads, it has gotten a little bit easier to navigate, just from the fact that there is more open space to orient yourself.

http://goo.gl/maps/gry4

(it's the locomotive length block in the open space adjacent to the Higashiawaji Kaikan and "Douell Fuijita", there is also a childcare facility playground adjacent)

http://goo.gl/maps/uyY1

looks quite creepy in there.  Cleaned up, both inside and out, would be great, especially if visitors to the museum could board it.

Yep, that's right.  The park is not labeled in some online maps, I used the nearby Higashi Awaji Elementary school as a landmark.  Awaji is undergoing some kind of urban renewal program now, alot of old buildings are being torn down in the station shotengai area, and there are noticeably wider roads, it has gotten a little bit easier to navigate, just from the fact that there is more open space to orient yourself.

http://goo.gl/maps/gry4

(it's the locomotive length block in the open space adjacent to the Higashiawaji Kaikan and "Douell Fuijita", there is also a childcare facility playground adjacent)

http://goo.gl/maps/uyY1

Had no clue that was even there when I was in Awarji a few years back. Would have been nice to see it