Shinmei Line Photos/Info?

DanMacK

Aside from Wikipedia. anyone come across any info on the former Shinmei line?  My interest in finding a place to locate my fictional line has led me to Hokkaido, and for some reason, this line seems like an interesting one. 

Anyone?

Google pictures

last runs:

front view Shumarinai-Fukagawa (sample):

at Fukagawa, a rapid service bound for Nayoro:

I rode a kiha 53 on this line in its last winter of service.  Unfortunately, it was late afternoon, too dark to take pics with my color slide film.  I remember the wood floorboards and leisurely pace of the single-engined railcar.

• Like 1

BB, I can always count on you for the links!  Thanks.  Looks like an interesting line.  So many of the Hokkaido lines gone now :(

likeablerodent

Hey guys. Out of curiosity I was searching to see if there was any information in English on the Shinmei Line, and I was completely surprised to find this thread (and forum). I had no idea that there was an English-language forum dedicated to Japanese trains.

I'm not sure how kosher it is to do this as a first post, but if you're still searching for info on the Shinmei Line, I think you may be interested in this video I made about the Shinmei Line:

I actually also have exchanged emails with the people who made the videos that have already been posted and received permission to integrate them into my video. Funny how that all worked out.

This video is part three of a planned four videos about four abandoned lines in Hokkaido. The first two videos (Haboro Line and Tempoku Line) are also up on YouTube if you're interested in them.

Part 1, The Haboro Line:

Part 2, The Tempoku Line:

Anyway, sorry about busting in here and posting my own stuff on my first post. I'm just really excited to find this place!

• Like 4

Cycling abandoned lines is an interesting idea.  I haven't had time to watch these yet, but I plan to.  Definitely nothing to apologize for.  It's not running trains,  but it's certainly about a prototype.

agreed. would be an awesome thing to do, I've alaways loved treking abandoned and closed down things.

Just last year a mate of mine and myself hiked through several abandoned coal mines in blue mountains. We have the intentions to do more one day this year and on top of that some areas still have the old rail and bits in place. When we get around to it will post pics.

BTW i watch a 2 videos and interesting watch.

These kind of lines are exactly what i want to do in a section of my next layout but it's just so hard to make it all fit in with shinkansens taking up the whole board just can't get the rural look unless i hide  the shinkansen under for ages.

likeablerodent

Hiking through those mines sounds pretty cool. I'll keep an eye out for the photos.

And good luck figuring out how to fit the old with the new. I hope you got some inspiration for your lines from these videos.