Dr. Yellow Traveling South on Dec. 7th.

jrf whatever age you are you can still learn it's about willpower.

when I was studying there was a 75 year old lady learning computer engineering.

she said she did it for something to do. she had a list of other stuff she wanted to go through after that, while she didn't catch on quick she ended up finishing.

nuff said about that  :grin

I’m currently self studying Japanese. I don't know too much besides basic conversations and words in terms of talking.

Mostly I am learning to read and write for now, once i know a fair bit of the characters and I can read most pages in a book i will start building my vocabulary.

I guess my way of doing this is I can spend plenty of time on flash cards with pictures written in Japanese and learn the words that way and through dictionaries etc.

If you can understand Japanese, this video would be informative.

summary

Based on the 700 series, with a top speed of 270km/h.  Introduced in 2005 to JR West service this is the T5 trainset.

No. 7 car:

Basically a regular car no different from revenue cars, this is used for staff meetings as well as training sessions.  There is a flat panel screen which displays the view from the cab.

No. 6 car:

Contains the "high pressure room".  Directs current from the catenary via the pantograph to measuring/analysis instruments.

No. 5 car:

Contains the observation bubble for pantograph/catenary inspection at speed, also a break room.  Backup batteries to preserve data in case of power outage on the railway line.

*at 4:34- fiber optic cables to transfer data through the train

No. 4 car:

The floor is higher on this car to house the track measuring equipment.  These are connected with the bogies to measure curvature, distortion(slack?), and elevation deviations.  How are these measurements done at high speed?  Using lasers.  The lasers are calibrated at a certain base point, and the deviations from this point is recorded.  The data is collected and displayed on monitors.  Data is then sent to a central Shinkansen information facility and any necessary track maintenance is then scheduled if required.

Guest JRF-1935
If you can understand Japanese, this video would be informative.

summary

Based on the 700 series, with a top speed of 270km/h.  Introduced in 2005 to JR West service this is the T5 trainset.

No. 7 car:

Basically a regular car no different from revenue cars, this is used for staff meetings as well as training sessions.  There is a flat panel screen which displays the view from the cab.

No. 6 car:

Contains the "high pressure room".  Directs current from the catenary via the pantograph to measuring/analysis instruments.

No. 5 car:

Contains the observation bubble for pantograph/catenary inspection at speed, also a break room.  Backup batteries to preserve data in case of power outage on the railway line.

*at 4:34- fiber optic cables to transfer data through the train

No. 4 car:

The floor is higher on this car to house the track measuring equipment.  These are connected with the bogies to measure curvature, distortion(slack?), and elevation deviations.  How are these measurements done at high speed?  Using lasers.  The lasers are calibrated at a certain base point, and the deviations from this point is recorded.  The data is collected and displayed on monitors.  Data is then sent to a central Shinkansen information facility and any necessary track maintenance is then scheduled if required.

Thanks Bikkuri Bahn

Great Info !

Rich C

Grant,

Don't stress if you do miss it, you have done well with the photos that you have already taken of the 923 Dr. Yellow. As I was just placing the markings on my TOMIX 923 Dr. Yellow today :) and noticed that the No.4 car has a yellow 4 due to the white roof whiile all the rest had white number lettering. If you do get the extra photos it would just be a bonus for you and everyone here on JNS.

Linkey

After several missed attempts, I got these shots this morning. Sorry, it isn't the best but it shows that car number four has the white roof. The lens refocuses on the nearer barbed wire just as the white section appears, sorry.

DSC_0001-9.jpg

DSC_0002-9.jpg

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0004-6.jpg

DSC_0005-5.jpg

DSC_0006-7.jpg

DSC_0007-4.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

DSC_0009-5.jpg

DSC_0011-3.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

DSC_0013-3.jpg

DSC_0014-3.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0016-4.jpg

DSC_0017-5.jpg

DSC_0018-5.jpg

DSC_0019-6.jpg

DSC_0020-4.jpg

DSC_0010-3.jpg

I'll try again on the 27th.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 2

This is where I've been taking the shots of Dr. Yellow. It's in Ota Ward and is about 1 km south of where Route 317 (AKA Kannana Dori) crosses the Shinkansen tracks. It is between Nishi-Oi and Musashi-Kosugi Stations. The Yokosuka Line emerges from under the Shinkansen viaduct just before this bridge. The high fence makes shooting a challenge. Most fans that I've seen here shoot from the bridge through the fencing wire.

Bridge nameplate.

DSC_0090-1.jpg

The north side of the bridge.

DSC_0091-1.jpg

Looking East.

DSC_0092-1.jpg

I also shot the D500 Kintaro that passed on the Yokosuka Line about 20 minutes later. A number of people waited around to do the same. Even after that there were a couple of people waiting around. But it started drizzling shortly after this.

DSC_0093.jpg

Looking the other way from the above photo. The road crosses the bridge behind me. I followed this road and it took me back to Route 317 and is a more direct route.

DSC_0094.jpg

I usually come from that direction and follow the viaduct, but usually get a bit lost as there is a facility that forces the lane to cut around and I end up several streets past this spot. Lots of undulating hills here and I hate to go downhill unnecessarily. Plus I'm usually about four minutes before Dr. Yellow when I come racing down that road.

DSC_0095.jpg

At the top of the hill yonder and past Dainikeihin Hwy is the spot that I sometimes shoot the D500 Kintaro on the Yokosuka Line. Route 317 is past that. There is also a pedestrian overpass that you can shoot the Shinkansen track. But it crosses the highway and not the the Shinkansen viaduct. Not that this info would be useful to anyone who doesn't live in Tokyo. Sorry.

DSC_0096.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Grant, the info on location is interesting, even for someone like me who isn't in Tokyo.  Someday I might get there, and if not it still helps to provide a "you are here" feeling to see the area where the photos were taken, and to understand where it's located.

I shot Dr. Yellow twice since the last post, on Apr.6 and May 7. The latter didn't come out very well.

I tried out another spot near the Nihongi Bridge, but felt the test shots were too cramped.

DSC_0003-6.jpg

DSC_0005-5.jpg

I went back to the old spot but there were two other guys there so my field of view wasn't the best.

DSC_0046-2.jpg

Even thought I tried not to focus on the pylon, when Dr. Yellow came by and I panned the camera, it refocused on the pylon and most of the shots turned out blurred.

DSC_0060-3.jpg

DSC_0065-2.jpg

Something interesting came from standing next to the two men. There is a clear sheeting on the fence at this spot and I had put my backpack against it. One of the guys said that I should take it down. When I asked why later, he said that it wasn't a terrorist thing but some people throw briefcases over the fence in front of oncoming bullet trains, so that sight of a bag placed near the fence would cause worry and i guess distract the driver. I had a 1000 ml water bottle next to it but he said that wouldn't be a problem. I'm  grateful for the information.

The ones from Apr. 6 came out much better. I went back to the stairs at Tamachi Station. I'll post those next.

Also when I uploaded this batch of photos, I rearranged some of the older Photobucket Dr. Yellow photos and they seem to have been deleted here. I'll repost them.

Best wishes,

Grant

These are the photos from the Apr. 6 shoot at Tamachi Station. I positioned myself on the top of the stairs to get a better shot of the white top. I got there at about 10:05, about 1 1/2 and 2 hours before Dr. Yellow passed in both directions. A few other photographers came and i felt a bit bad for taking the best spot. I tried to adjust my position to give them some room.

The first set is Dr. Yellow heading towards Tokyo Station on the far tracks. I shot it at full speed and although I uploaded all of the shots in my photobucket account, I'm posting every other shot of the first set here.

DSC_0500-2.jpg

DSC_0502-3.jpg

DSC_0504-3.jpg

DSC_0506-2.jpg

DSC_0508-3.jpg

DSC_0510-1.jpg

DSC_0512-2.jpg

DSC_0514-1.jpg

DSC_0516.jpg

DSC_0517-1.jpg

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0519-1.jpg

DSC_0520-1.jpg

DSC_0521.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0524-2.jpg

DSC_0526-1.jpg

DSC_0528-1.jpg

DSC_0530-3.jpg

DSC_0532-1.jpg

DSC_0534-1.jpg

DSC_0536-1.jpg

DSC_0537-4.jpg

DSC_0538-3.jpg

DSC_0540-2.jpg

DSC_0542-2.jpg

DSC_0550-3.jpg

DSC_0552-3.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

These are the shots when it came back down heading South. Much larger, I'll post most of the photos.

DSC_0616-1.jpg

DSC_0617-1.jpg

DSC_0618-1.jpg

DSC_0619-1.jpg

DSC_0620-1.jpg

DSC_0621-2.jpg

DSC_0622-2.jpg

DSC_0623-1.jpg

DSC_0624-1.jpg

DSC_0625-1.jpg

DSC_0626-1.jpg

DSC_0627-2.jpg

DSC_0628-2.jpg

DSC_0629-1.jpg

DSC_0630-1.jpg

DSC_0631-1.jpg

DSC_0632-1.jpg

DSC_0633-1.jpg

DSC_0634-1.jpg

DSC_0635-1.jpg

DSC_0636-1.jpg

DSC_0637-1.jpg

DSC_0638-1.jpg

DSC_0639.jpg

DSC_0640-2.jpg

DSC_0641.jpg

DSC_0642-1.jpg

I'll try again next Wednesday on the 16th.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1
JR 500系

Oh nice!

Thank you gmat for the great shots! Appreciate the effort! Also nice to see so many other rail fans in Japan all waiting in the stations to take snap shots of this exclusive train! The Doctor is in town!

HHhmmm... is it me or is it true that the Doctor Yellow's train carriage is shorter than the normal N700 carriage? It just feels shorter...

I'm pretty sure they're the same dimensionally as the passenger-use 700s.  Also, notice they're 700s, not N700s.  If these are used as long as the previous generation of Doctor Yellow, we won't see any new ones until... the 1100 series  :grin.

gmat,

you are excelling with greatness with the photos of the Dr. Yellow and it looks like the location of the recent shots are pretty awesome. Keep up with the great work.