Dr. Yellow Traveling South on Dec. 7th.

I heard the rumor that Dr.Yellow will run this weekend, Sat.7 (from Tokyo) and Sun.8 (from Hakata)

Please do not blame, even if wrong.

Yes, except vacation week, inspection on "Nozomi" diagram 3 times per month.

in addition, "Kodama" inspection is excuted 1 routine per month.

I think that the third date posted every month is a make up day, if one of the two earlier days can't be run, as twice I've waited on the third day but nothing came.

If I can wake up on time, I'm gonna try and shoot Dr. Yellow.

Best wishes,

Grant

I think that the third date posted every month is a make up day, if one of the two earlier days can't be run, as twice I've waited on the third day but nothing came.

Best wishes,

Grant

I hope you mean this by taking photos of the Dr. Yellow. :P

I'd always wondered what these were made for, now I know: Shinkansen hunting.

On a more serious note, photos of the good doctor are always worth seeing.  If you ever get a chance, I'd be interested in seeing photos of the JR East "East-i" inspection trains (the Shinkansen or the EMU/DMU ones).

Hi all,

I tried to shoot Dr.Yellow on 7th, and actually he was coming.

But there were so many photographer on the location,

I couldn't keep my position and failed.OMG...

According to this blog,

http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/e74384.html

He runs on 16/17 Jan and 25/26 Jan.

the timetable is here

http://speedbird.mediacat-blog.jp/e37387.html

11:47 bound for Hakata ,on next day 9:50  bound for Tokyo

Here are the photos that I took last Saturday, Jan 7, 2011. I used the Seishun 18 pass to travel to Odawara Station as I wished to take photos of the train passing through a station. Someone asked a while back on a good place to see the Shinkansen passing at full speed. My suggestion would be to travel one or two stations outside of the city that you are visiting and buy the 140 yen ticket for visiting the platform. You can stay for about two hours then you must pay 140 yen more. While I was at Kuroiso Station, I could hear the Shinkansen roaring on the tracks above the station, but there was no station there. So when I went to Koriyama, I went up to the Shinkansen platform and shot some photos there. The trains that didn't stop went through the station with an impressive roar. So when Dr. Yellow ran on the 7th, I went to Odawara as it's the closest station that some trains will skip.

As it's out of the way, not so many people showed up. Also the curve in the tracks allowed you to shoot around the people standing before you. The one problem was that the angle of the sun meant that at 13:00 the sun was on the wrong side and I didn't dare to move to the opposite tracks as I might miss Dr. Yellow and the angle that the train would approach didn't seem so promising. So these shots are pretty poor, colorwise.

First some shots that show other fans taking photos. There were a number of parents and children there, mostly father and son, but one mother and her children, girl and a boy. A father, with his wife sitting patiently nearby, took pictures of his very young son standing by the barrier as the trains passed by. A little too worrisome for my taste.

After shooting you check the shots.

DSC_0461.jpg

View of the station tracks.

DSC_0511-2.jpg

The mother and her children were up ahead. They were there an hour and a half before Dr. Yellow passed.

DSC_0568-1.jpg

DSC_0523-1.jpg

More shots of fans.

DSC_0509-2.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Here is the set; Frankly I shouldn't post all of the shots as with continuous shoot there isn't much difference between shots at the beginning end end, but something of interest might show up.

DSC_0748.jpg

DSC_0749-1.jpg

DSC_0750.jpg

DSC_0751.jpg

DSC_0752-1.jpg

DSC_0753.jpg

DSC_0754-1.jpg

DSC_0755-2.jpg

DSC_0756.jpg

DSC_0757-1.jpg

DSC_0758-1.jpg

DSC_0759-2.jpg

DSC_0760-2.jpg

DSC_0761.jpg

DSC_0762-1.jpg

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

The rest of the photos.

DSC_0763-1.jpg

DSC_0764-1.jpg

DSC_0765.jpg

DSC_0766.jpg

DSC_0767-1.jpg

DSC_0768-1.jpg

DSC_0769.jpg

DSC_0770-1.jpg

DSC_0771-1.jpg

DSC_0772.jpg

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0774.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg

DSC_0777-2.jpg

DSC_0778-1.jpg

DSC_0779.jpg

DSC_0780.jpg

DSC_0781-1.jpg

DSC_0782-1.jpg

If I can, I'll try to go back on the 16th and shoot from the other platform.

It'll be much better in the summer as the sun will be further west.

Best wishes.

Grant

Nice shots gmat.

Does anyone know what those trucks/bogies are on track inspection trains that have some kind of extra bracing or reinforcement on the outside?

Oh, yeah, I agree, you shouldn't post all the shots.  :grin:cheesy

But it's nice to be able to move the scroll bar very fast, it transforms the pictures into a movie.

And I almost forgot, thanks! :)

You can never have too many photos of Dr. Yellow.  :grin

Actually, it's nice to be able to see all of the cars like that.  It's the kind of detail you can't always find with just one photo.

wow Great shot,Mr.grant !

Very Nice Picturers - Question?  Does anyone know why the fourth car roof is white??

Hi Rich,

I heard that the sun makes a bad influence on measureing from the increase of temperature.

Kindry regards,

ISO8

Very Nice Picturers - Question?  Does anyone know why the fourth car roof is white??

Thanks,

Rich C

I just found this youtube video on the 923 Dr Yellow and there is no white roof on the No. 4 car.

You can see how many people loves the Dr Yellow as they are seeing it through the crossing.

Thanks,

Rich C

I just found this youtube video on the 923 Dr Yellow and there is no white roof on the No. 4 car.

You can see how many people loves the Dr Yellow as they are seeing it through the crossing.

i can see the white roof ??? you sure you counted right ??? lol

Very Nice Picturers - Question?  Does anyone know why the fourth car roof is white??

Thanks,

Rich C

i can see the white roof ??? you sure you counted right ??? lol

Just noticed it but it was a very thin to see the white roof (slightly white of the curve on the No#4 car), if it wasn't pointed out you would easily miss it.

Just done more research on it and seen a few youtube videos dated back to 2010 the No #4 car has a yellow roof so is the question is when did they repainted the roof white?

Guest JRF-1935

wow Great shot,Mr.grant !

Hi Rich,

I heard that the sun makes a bad influence on measureing from the increase of temperature.

Kindry regards,

ISO8

Hi ISO8

Thanks - that makes perfect sense! I  thought the roof was painted white to reflect the sunlight, but didn't know why.  Must be some critical measurements being performed in the #4 car.  Would be nice to find a site that explains the function of each car and what measurements are performed.

Kind Regards,

Rich C

Guest JRF-1935

Would be nice to find a site that explains the function of each car and what measurements are performed.

If you can understand Japanese, this video would be informative. They're interesting even if you don't!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV6pOIqTizA

Thanks Cap

Saw this vid before - no I don't understand Japanese and at my age I doubt I ever will :laugh:  Nice video tho but no help to me  :grin 

Thanks,

Rich C

That's a nice video. Because they used so many English loanwords and because of my little knowledge of Japanese at least I understood the main story.

Guest JRF-1935

That's a nice video. Because they used so many English loanwords and because of my little knowledge of Japanese at least I understood the main story.

Densha

Could you please share what you know.

Thanks,

Rich C