Taiwan high speed train 700T

HiSpdTrainFan

Wow it used to be selling for $800 dollars.  I have the whole set and I got to say it was a little disappointing because the compartments are too light and would derail if the train is running at full speed.

Wow it used to be selling for $800 dollars.  I have the whole set and I got to say it was a little disappointing because the compartments are too light and would derail if the train is running at full speed.

Yes Leo, but how was the watch....if it's a Rolex, it might be worth it.  :grin

Yes Leo, but how was the watch....if it's a Rolex, it might be worth it.  :grin

Umm $1,000 for a Rolex? That would be an absolute BARGAIN. The cheapest Rolex is double that LOL.

This has been on eBay for over 2 years. 

The watch is a Seiko.

To me, if I was into Taiwanese trains, it would be worth around $600-$700.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

The price isn't all that outrageous. Considering only 999 of them were made it seems, it's probably something that collectors will want to stick in a cupboard somewhere, to be sold for more 20 years from now ;)

The price isn't all that outrageous. Considering only 999 of them were made it seems, it's probably something that collectors will want to stick in a cupboard somewhere, to be sold for more 20 years from now ;)

I'm surprised you haven't snapped it up then!!!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

hmm, this set was sold originally at around 600 to 700 USD in Taiwan.

The company made a clearance sale to their employee at500 USD last year.

I bought one set from my friend but never open it anyway.

Consider all 700T models are limited edition, if you really want one the choices are not many now.

However I think it's bit overpriced.

There are two versions of the Kato-made Taiwan 700T train. One came rather normally packaged in folio cases, with a basic 4-car train, and there were four-car A and B add-on sets to make a longer train up to the correct 12-car formation. (By the way, if you line up the three folio cases on your shelf, the graphics on their edges combine to produce a three-part image of the front of the train.) The other was a special 12-car set with the watch and a special case. That one is the rarer and more costly version.

I was lucky to somewhat belatedly get all three folio sets, two from the U.S. and the third from Taiwan. Video of my 12-car train:

Rich K.

Hi Bill,

Did you set have a problem in negotiating curves?  Mine has coaches derail when negotiating curves at high speed.  I have no problem with other Shinkansens (E4, 500, E3) when going thru the curve at the same speed.

one of our members has a full 12 car set and it seems to run fine on the club's kato double viaduct track. we run them at prototypical speeds.

jeff

Hi Bill,

Did you set have a problem in negotiating curves?  Mine has coaches derail when negotiating curves at high speed.  I have no problem with other Shinkansens (E4, 500, E3) when going thru the curve at the same speed.

leo,

What radius curves?  Shinkansen don't like tight curves.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I am using the Kato Viauct Curves V12s, the Double Track Viaduct sets and V11s for all my mainline curves.  The funny thing is the wheel sets for the Kato 700T is very similar to the 500 and yet I never had any problem with the latter when negotiating curves.

I am using the Kato Viauct Curves V12s, the Double Track Viaduct sets and V11s for all my mainline curves.  The funny thing is the wheel sets for the Kato 700T is very similar to the 500 and yet I never had any problem with the latter when negotiating curves.

That's because in the real the 500 and 700T has the same bogie  :cool:

I think that 700T train would do better on the V16 super elavated curve.

Actually the best option in sectional N double-track would be the wide Tomix 539/502mm curves. Super-elevating a tighter turn is like making it a "wild mouse" ride.

Rich K.

I use Tomix so I have no idea what a V12 curve is ... 12" radius perhaps? ... if so, it isn't really enough.  I use the Tomix 354mm radii or larger for my bullets.

Cheers

The_Ghan

The v11 & v12 double viaduct is 414 / 381 mm radius so that should not be a concern. All Shinkansen models run fine on these curves w/o the superelevation in our experience at JRM (except perhaps the kato n700.) Perhaps the superelevation is causing an odd twist on the 700T.

Jeff

• Like 1

You might be right!  It seems my trains have an effect when negotiating superelevated S curves.

S curves?  You mean a right bend followed immediately by a left?  There are various guides published about problems associated with doing this.  I don't know what "superelevated" means, but I'm guessing the track has banking built into it, right?  If so, I can only imagin that this would compound the problems with long cars on S bends and is causing your train to derail.  Surprisingly, a 3" straight between the reversing bends often solves the problems.  Alternatively, you can start the bends with a short length of extra large radius.  Eg: I have a reverse curve of Tomix C354 radius.  Instead of using a C354-45 I use 2 x C354-15 + 1 x C541-15.  The three 15o pieces allow me to use a larger radius as a transition.

Cheers

The_Ghan

HiSpdTrainFan

You might be right!  It seems my trains have an effect when negotiating superelevated S curves.

S curves?  You mean a right bend followed immediately by a left?  There are various guides published about problems associated with doing this.  I don't know what "superelevated" means, but I'm guessing the track has banking built into it, right?  If so, I can only imagin that this would compound the problems with long cars on S bends and is causing your train to derail.  Surprisingly, a 3" straight between the reversing bends often solves the problems.  Alternatively, you can start the bends with a short length of extra large radius.  Eg: I have a reverse curve of Tomix C354 radius.  Instead of using a C354-45 I use 2 x C354-15 + 1 x C541-15.  The three 15o pieces allow me to use a larger radius as a transition.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Kato V11, V16 superelevated curves

Kind of like Nascar race track..

HiSpd,

Oh serious!  I like that video for a completely different reason ... the 583 that you're running.  Full 13 cars?  Hard to see because of all the other trains.  Is it the Kato version?

I'm running the Kato version 13 cars: 10-395 + 2 x 10-396 + 4084-1 + 4086-1.  I set up the organisation as shown on the Kato brochure ... One of my favourite consists.

Cheers

The_Ghan