Taiwan DT668 test drive(D51 from Japan)

foxhsu

Good that Taiwan is investing into restoring its railway heritage. I seem to have noticed that after martial law was removed, interest in railway matters in Taiwan seem to have fairly boomed.

Cheers NB

Taiwan is my next target for Asian railway travel, especially want to ride trains on the east coast.

Some of the trains on the non-electrified sections are still diesel locomotive hauled, some of the locals even with non-airconditioned coaches with opening windows.

Trainaway Tours did a two week trip to Taiwan in 2009, I wouldn't mind going back someday. It would be easy to make a stop over on the way from Australia to Japan, or even easier than flying direct to Japan now there are no flights from Brisbane.

Historic train to resume service Nov. 11

The DT668 steam locomotive, the heaviest locomotive ever seen in the history of Taiwan rail transportation, will resume its service on Nov. 11 on the Neiwan railroad in Hsinchu County, northern Taiwan, with five-related products to be put on sale simultaneously, the Taiwan Railway Administration (TRA) said at a press conference held yesterday morning in Taipei.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/arts-&-leisure/2011/11/08/322274/Historic-train.htm

Taiwan just restore a DT668 (D51 from Japan), here is a test drive video.

It never ceases to amaze me, no matter where you are in the world, it's a given that a steam loco on a trial trip after rebuilding will have leaking cylindr drain cocks!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

I love the bloke who has the heat gun, calling out the temperatures of the axleboxes and assorted motion bearings, while the other bloke with the clipboard jots it all down. So much more organised than any crew I've ever been part of!  :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

Here is offical run on 11/11/2011

Very interesting. The brightly-painted cars appeared to be DMUs. I like the C11 and water tank car on the rear. Presumably the train was topped and tailed because there was no runaround at it's destination?

Cheers,

Mark.

Here is offical run on 11/11/2011

Very interesting. The brightly-painted cars appeared to be DMUs. I like the C11 and water tank car on the rear. Presumably the train was topped and tailed because there was no runaround at it's destination?

Cheers,

Mark.

They are DMU's, I rode them in 2009, would be interesting to know why they are using them as they appeared to have plenty of loco hauled coaches. If I remember the Neiwan branch correctly there is no runaround at the end, an excursion that ran with the C11 while we were there (we didn't know about it in time to ride it) had a diesel at the rear

Similar footage, plus what appears to be the terminal station (Neiwan?) for this run:

Appears it was a push-pull operation.  Look at the rooftop equipment on those DR1000 dmus...

• Like 1

Similar footage, plus what appears to be the terminal station (Neiwan?) for this run:

Appears it was a push-pull operation.  Look at the rooftop equipment on those DR1000 dmus...

That's Neiwan. In 2009 it looked like only the track at the platform was servicable. When we rode the line it was cut from the main line to the next major station, the name escapes me at the moment, to allow a branch to a new station on the high speed line to be built and we had to get a bus out to where the line started. The I don't remember seeing the station where the video starts, it may be the new one at the HSR and there could be no runaround there either if it was designed for DMU operation.

It sounds like the engines are running on the DMUs to run the aircon and lights. From the hot weather we experienced while we were there all those radiators and airconditioners on the roof are needed.