Unitrack #2 Wye Turnouts

I have not seen these announced anywhere but on Hobby Search:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10167018

Not only are these the tightest turnouts Kato has come out with, but they are also wye turnouts. It makes sense that they're making these to go along with their new compact Unitrack.

Is it possible to run anything but trams/trolleys and Bandai shorty trains on these?

Ugh. Sorry. Is there a way to delete a thread?

(I did a search for "wye" and "turnout", and of course it's referred to as "y switch" in the other thread.)

its cool ospen, that happens! this is indeed probably a good place for the thread anyway as ken noted! N Gauge forum is more for general n gauge questions (this is a tad confusing, but make sense to put all the new stuff in one place and older standard stuff in one place). the forum software also does not let you search with a single character like Y anyway if you had thought of it!

moderators can deal with it merging and placing where it should live, no worries!

it is a cool development! perhaps kato is getting back into thinking about basic track after the more exotic unitram and the superelivated stuff.

cheers

jeff

Ugh. Sorry. Is there a way to delete a thread?

(I did a search for "wye" and "turnout", and of course it's referred to as "y switch" in the other thread.)

There's two ways to tell whats going on in the forum at anyone time.  The first is to click on Forum and scroll down to the bottom of the page for the last 10 posts.  The second is to click on the Show unread posts since last visit at the top left of the Forum page and this will show any threads you haven`t read.

You can also see selected recent threads with embedded videos on the JNS home page:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php

i think they have been so focused on the unitram for a few years here from what i have heard. now hopefully its easy for them to go back and do the simpler unitrak additions to fill out their lineup some there. shorties and streetcar/interurban stuff also will benefit from this little wye turnout as well, so probably hits the most markets for a new product. they also are doing the new tighter radius track for smaller stuff (150 and 183mm).

nice to see they have not forgotten the old single track unitrak line!

jeff

Getting back to the original question, the announced wye turnout isn't really that tight in radius. It looks like it's 481mm, matching Kato's existing 481mm radius "#4" turnouts. Since both routes curve away from each other on the wye, I'm guessing that technically makes its frog a "#2." It's a very confusing nomenclature using the # designation, and actually it's not accurate either. I prefer the EP481-15Y sort of designation -- it tells you exactly what it is.

Rich K.

yes it will be interesting to see with kato's new tight radiuses of 150 and 183 if they do a tighter radius turnout eventually for the smaller stuff. its interesting watching the competition between kato and tomix its a mix of the japanese dont directly compete with some good old slug it out.

jeff

Getting back to the original question, the announced wye turnout isn't really that tight in radius. It looks like it's 481mm, matching Kato's existing 481mm radius "#4" turnouts. Since both routes curve away from each other on the wye, I'm guessing that technically makes its frog a "#2." It's a very confusing nomenclature using the # designation, and actually it's not accurate either. I prefer the EP481-15Y sort of designation -- it tells you exactly what it is.

On Kato's page, they designate it as a EP480-15Y.

Thanks, brill27mcb, for the clarification.

So I guess now my question is about the unique layout possibilities with this wye turnout rather than the standard turnout. Kato's page shows some possibilities in terms of adding a stub or 3rd track in station areas: http://www.katomodels.com/n/unitrack_point/

What are other unique or interesting layout possibilities with this turnout that really weren't possible before with the standard turnouts?

Nick

It's kind of annoying that it's taken so long for Kato to finally release this, especially when users of Fine track have been enjoying this switch along with a multitude of other switches that will either take another 10 years or never be released by Mr. Kato.

It's almost like a Canon vs. Nikon thing except this case, one company (Tomix) has a HUGE upper hand, and yet, I can't help but still use Unitrack because it's the more widely available of the 2 (where I am).  :BangHead:

/rant

Clem,

Please remember that the USA and Canada now have FULL access to Tomix track via BT Trains in Seattle, WA.

www.bttrains.com

I have just contacted our wholesaler about the Y points as well.

Bob

Mudkip Orange

And that's pretty cool, but there's still a substantial difference between ALMOST EVERY HOBBY STORE IN THE US versus one guy on the Peninsula.

Kato definitely has the upper hand on that one.

Give me time.

Getting a Tomix distributorship will be MUCH harder than getting some of their stuff to sell.

The US Kato distributors tell me that the Ys, and tight curves are going to be in at the end of December or mid January.

• Like 1

Give me time.

Ah, the plans for world domination are coming along well then?  :grin

Seriously, although I'm still firmly in the Unitrack camp, and there is convenience in being able to pick up unijoiners, feeders and other things at a local store, much of my reason was simply the difficultly in finding other stuff when I started.  I'd heard of FineTrack, but I didn't have a clue how to buy it (that was before I found the Forum). And I could pick up and handle UniTrack at the store, and see example track plans on the boxes.

If I were starting over today, without having a huge investment in Unitrack, I'd be much more likely to use FineTrack due to the larger product line. But that advantage, like FineTrack's other advantages, aren't as obvious when you have never handled it or seen a layout built of it.  And I think that's a disadvantage you need to overcome to expand beyond the small set of us that are already aware of FineTrack's benefits.

One thing that's really lacking today (and Kato has the same problem, but it's offset by being able to see the stuff in person) is good and easily found online information on the use of FineTrack (e.g., track plans with explanations of what sets are needed to make them, detail on what tracks work together to make structures).  There are some resources (in particular the excellent Easy Trolley site), but if you want to attract online buyers who don't know about such sites to take a chance, you should provide at least basic usage information, and perhaps links to other informational sites.

Getting a Tomix distributorship will be MUCH harder than getting some of their stuff to sell.

will tomix even do an offshore dealership? never heard of one that was an "official" distributor, just folks that had a distributor in japan that would sell to them to export.

jeff

lol @ KenS,

Although your reasoning is sound, and probably rings true with many Unitrack users, the wording of your post does remind me of a junkie trying to justify his habit ...  :grin

Your final point about track layouts is very valid.  I think the *ONLY* decent resource in English is the Tomix / Easy Trolly site.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

this has been a quandary for us with the jrm layout. the jrm layout was created from track loaned from members and since all the members used unitrak we went with that. we didnt have the funds starting out to buy all new tomix.

but the big issue is with all the newbies that come up to us at shows find out about the layout and how to go about it themselves. while we tell them there are two main brands, you really cant steer a newbie to tomix with much more limited sources and resources, they usually want something easy and available to start out with. its a tough sell to get them to get into playing with trains to begin with so unitrak is just the best bet to get them to start.

rich has been doing a great job of getting folks into tomix for trams and the tomix group is growing, but there is loads more out there for help with unitrak and way, way more folks using it in the us and thats a big plus for a beginner. bttrains has started bringing over tomix track to the us, but its the only us source readily available and thats a bit of a risk to ask someone to start their hobby with. many folks are like ken, they get invested a bit too much before the reach the point they realize tomix may be a better choice for them and can afford to start all over...

jeff

Your final point about track layouts is very valid.  I think the *ONLY* decent resource in English is the Tomix / Easy Trolly site.

It's the best, but not the only one.  Aside from the info on this forum, there's also:

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au/tomix_wide_tram_track_designs.htm

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au/tomix_fine_track_shelf_designs.htm

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au/tomix_fine_track_small_designs.htm

http://www.conceptmodeltrains.com.au/tomix_wide_tram_track_tomytec_bus_designs.htm

And:

http://jtrains.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/tomix-fine-track/

Not to mention a lot of smaller single-post articles, such as Quinntopia's.

Only if KATO had brought this out earlier it would of helped me to add a middle track to create a proper station layout of Aizu Wakamatsu. Oh well I can still buy it and re-do the Aizu-Wakamatsu layout with the Y added to it. :)