Japanese Vacation No.9 (week 1)

westfalen

One thing I noticed last night about being in Japan is that I can only get onto HS's Japanese website, even if I manually type in the English page's address it reverts to the Japanese one. ???

West,

You probably need to use an anonymous proxy like KPROXY

I'm loving your posts, btw, especially shots of car interiors - something there is never enough of.

Good luck

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thanks. Kproxy works, I'm now ok if something I've ordered comes in while I'm in Japan. I don't know if they have a "pick up at store" option. :grin

I spent today at the three bridges across the Kisogawa. I started out as planned on the Meitetsu as Kasamatsu but while I was there the freight trains crossing the JR bridge about a kilometre upriver prompted me to hike along the levee bank to check it out. Because of that I decided to skip the Tarumi and Yoro Railways and leave them for another trip as it took longer than planned and I had to walk back to the Meitetsu station. I spent the rest of the day on the Meitetsu starting with the Shin Hashima line which seemingly winds it's single track way through alleys and back yards before the last section climbs onto a viaduct and ends at a platform tucked onto the side of a Shinkansen station. The next stop was Inuyamayuen to photograph the bridge, by the time I got to the Unuma end with the viewing area it had started raining so I caught the next train back to town and got off at Sakō beside the Tokaido line and Shinkansen and videoed passing trains there for a while. I eventually ended up at Yatomi just as darkness fell via a sucession of local all stops trains where I witnessed the Meitetsu's service of delivering the evening newspapers.

post-218-13569928936033_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992893644_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928936819_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928937121_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992893751_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928937828_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928938183_thumb.jpg

post-218-1356992893848_thumb.jpg

Anyone know what the plaque with the seaplane (P.S. looking at it again maybe its not a seaplane) on it is about? There were several of them on the fence around the viewing platform at the north end of the Inuyama bridge.

post-218-13569928944422_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928944737_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928945079_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928945446_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928945754_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928946197_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928946523_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928946911_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
What are those newspapers doing in a commuter train?

It appears Meitetsu still has a business distributing newspapers along its lines.  JR East got out of this one or two years ago, on the Boso Peninsula (Uchibo Line) in Chiba Prefecture.  Nice to see some railways are still doing this.

Anyone know what the plaque with the seaplane (P.S. looking at it again maybe its not a seaplane) on it is about?

It commemorates the city of Kakamigahara as "the city of aerospace culture"- Kawasaki Heavy has it's aerospace facilities here, as well as some Mitsubishi Heavy plants.  There is also an airbase- JASDF Gifu Airbase.  The aircraft pictured is the KHI "Asuka", an experimental STOL transport plane.

http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/0c/d3/55d56626ad0a3071a1dcbc3fb2702a22.jpg

Anyone know what the plaque with the seaplane (P.S. looking at it again maybe its not a seaplane) on it is about?

It commemorates the city of Kakamigahara as "the city of aerospace culture"- Kawasaki Heavy has it's aerospace facilities here, as well as some Mitsubishi Heavy plants.  There is also an airbase- JASDF Gifu Airbase.  The aircraft pictured is the KHI "Asuka", an experimental STOL transport plane.

http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/0c/d3/55d56626ad0a3071a1dcbc3fb2702a22.jpg

That explains it, the high mounted engines had me thinking it was a seaplane.

of the Inuyama bridge.

I like that bridge.  Liked it even better when the road also used it.  I see you made it all the way to Yatomi.  I was there this summer to capture the evening tanker train for Yokkaichi behind a DD51 on the Kansai Main Line.  I like this station, quiet, but with some action to pass the time before the target train appears.  Plus it's near the Kintetsu station, so you have a good choice of transport options.

What are those newspapers doing in a commuter train?

It appears Meitetsu still has a business distributing newspapers along its lines.  JR East got out of this one or two years ago, on the Boso Peninsula (Uchibo Line) in Chiba Prefecture.  Nice to see some railways are still doing this.

They carry the newspapers on at least two trains on that particular line. I took the photo of the papers inside the train and got off at Futatsuiri where there are side platforms with the mainlines running straight through the middle so I could video some expresses. While I was there the local newsagent and his assistant arrived and unloaded their papers from the next stopping train. I can't imagine bundles of newspapers being loaded on commuter trains in Australia and being still there to be picked up after an unattended journey into the suburbs. Come to think of it we don't even have an evening newspaper in Brisbane, let alone a Saturday evening one.

of the Inuyama bridge.

I like that bridge.  Liked it even better when the road also used it.  I see you made it all the way to Yatomi.  I was there this summer to capture the evening tanker train for Yokkaichi behind a DD51 on the Kansai Main Line.  I like this station, quiet, but with some action to pass the time before the target train appears.  Plus it's near the Kintetsu station, so you have a good choice of transport options.

The tanker train was rolling through as my Meitetsu train was pulling into the platform, by the time we stopped it was gone. I'll chalk it up as one that got away.

When I got to Saya (I think that was the name) I saw that trains only ran half hourly to Yatomi but I thought as long as I'm here I might as well go all the way.

Just before Yatomi you pass through what looks like an abandoned station on a viaduct, it was dark so I didn't get a good look. Do you know the story behind it, is it a station built but never brought into use?

The whole car is either reserved or non reserved. Cars are designated by signs near the doors if they are reserved or not and the JR timetable has pages with diagrams of the trains showing which car is which. [snip]

Oh, OK. Boy, you gotta like a real timetable.* Thanks!

Looking forward to more pictures...

[*Unlike Amtrak where you're micro-managed onto the train from one long line, told which car to go to, and then abandoned to fight it out for unmarked seats. :-P]

I spent today at the three bridges across the Kisogawa. I started out as planned on the Meitetsu as Kasamatsu but while I was there the freight trains crossing the JR bridge about a kilometre upriver prompted me to hike along the levee bank to check it out. Because of that I decided to skip the Tarumi and Yoro Railways and leave them for another trip as it took longer than planned and I had to walk back to the Meitetsu station. I spent the rest of the day on the Meitetsu starting with the Shin Hashima line which seemingly winds it's single track way through alleys and back yards before the last section climbs onto a viaduct and ends at a platform tucked onto the side of a Shinkansen station. The next stop was Inuyamayuen to photograph the bridge, by the time I got to the Unuma end with the viewing area it had started raining so I caught the next train back to town and got off at Sakō beside the Tokaido line and Shinkansen and videoed passing trains there for a while. I eventually ended up at Yatomi just as darkness fell via a sucession of local all stops trains where I witnessed the Meitetsu's service of delivering the evening newspapers.

What is the horse on the side of the platform about?

Cheers NB

Thanks for the interior pictures. And there are lots of interesting details scattered through the photos--I may have to try to build one of those Yamato delivery bikes.

Westfalen,

great picts, thanks! love the delivery bike and want to model that too scott!

also love the rail truck, another easy one to model

whats up with the million dollar store? do you have any more pictures of that? would be a fun one to model as well!

even the graffiti in japan is has some design sense!

jeff

What is the horse on the side of the platform about?

Cheers NB

The horses were all along the platform at Meitetsu's Kasamatsu station which is the getting off place for a large horse race track.

• Like 1

Westfalen,

great picts, thanks! love the delivery bike and want to model that too scott!

also love the rail truck, another easy one to model

whats up with the million dollar store? do you have any more pictures of that? would be a fun one to model as well!

even the graffiti in japan is has some design sense!

jeff

I think the million dollar store was a coffee shop/restaurant but it appeared to be closed so I can't be sure. There were a row of touristy places along the street near Inuyamayuen station but none as wildly decorated.

Keep those interior shots coming West.  Not only so that we can get accurate interior colour schemes, but we also get an idea of how populated certain services are, like that DMU you photographed yesterday.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

A bit late getting back tonight. I finished up the day riding through the mist shrouded mountains on the Akechi Railway and when I got back to the JR at Ena there was a double headed (EF64 1006/1024) container train sitting in the siding headed east, I believe a Nagoya-Nagano train. There was a teenage Japanese railfan with a bicycle at the level crossing with a tripod set up to photograph it so I thought I might as well hang around too. After a while of pacing back and forth and looking at his watch he got on his bike and, I assume, went home for dinner. About an hour later after the driver had a sandwich and a cup of tea he picked up the radio with a start and after a conversation with whoever was on the other end he got a green signal and headed out of town.

In the morning I got in the Meitetsu lines to Hekinan and Gamagori. The end of the Gamagori line from Kirayoshida is worked as a shuttle which departs from a platform on the stub of the line that once connected Hekinan with Kirayoshida.

Heading off to sunny Kyushu tomorrow.

post-218-13569928950657_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928951192_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928951604_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928951964_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928952287_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928952583_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928953059_thumb.jpg

post-218-13569928953423_thumb.jpg

The freight was likely train 2095, a Nagoya terminal to Kita Nagano (via Inazawa) service.  This is the train, being ferried from Nagoya freight terminal to Inazawa, where the EF64s are perhaps attached:

The freight was likely train 2095, a Nagoya terminal to Kita Nagano (via Inazawa) service.  This is the train, being ferried from Nagoya freight terminal to Inazawa, where the EF64s are perhaps attached:

'Kita', that's the character in the freight timetable that my mind went blank on, I always forget the easiest ones. It passed Nagoya station while I was waiting for the 1332 Chuo Line train and we overtook it two or three stations out. It didn't leave Ena until after 1800, by my reading of the timetable it should have been a bit further along by then and I was suprised to see it still there when I got back from Akechi. The Japanese railfan getting frustrated by the time and the driver seemingly putting his feet up and taking a break for a while made me think it was delayed there out of the ordinary for some reason.