Second Portram

NYNE

So I bought a second Portram to go with my first -- the yellow one this time. I am having some problems with it and maybe someone here has some ideas. It sometimes runs as if its wheels are greased. The motor runs hard, the lights come on, but it doesn't move very fast. And then other times it just takes off like a rocket. Anyone encounter anything like this and is there an easy fix or do I have a dud? I test ran it in the hobby shop and it seemed alright. And have checked to make sure the wheels are on the track. Thanks...

Guest Closed Account 1

Are all the wheels actually on the tracks?

Also, it needs to be broken in.

Make an oval track and one side of it all a zig zag. I used the Kato 216 Unitrack.

Run for a half hour each way. It'll articulate better and won't derail or look like it has a stiff back.

For a sagging mid-section, see my other posts on that.

sort of sounds like a loose drive shaft or gear thats not engaging some of the time. or perhaps a bad electrical connection in one truck (each truck has its own motor)

have you tried applying power to the wheels while the tram is upside down? you can do this by using a piece of power connection track hooked to your transformer. see if when powered one truck's wheels turn and the others dont. that would point to an issue with one side's power train not working properly. if only one truck is working the motor will blast but the tram will run slow.

if its a kato and you bought it at the shop then i would take it back as they should support it through kato usa. dinking with these yourself is a micro micro project, look at some of the threads on the forum and you will see some links with detailed pictures on how to disassemble, its one of the most fiddly constructions ive seen in n scale.

jeff