Kyoto model shops

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

So, I haven't had a look for myself, but does anyone here know off the top of their head of some good model shops in Kyoto I should check out? I'll certainly be heading to Osaka to examine the offerings there (and to pay homage at the shrine of Kato), but I'm curious if there's anything good that doesn't require a long commute.

SantaFe1970

No one ever replied to this...

How about the Yodobashi Camera just to the N of Kyoto Station? Does anyone know if they have much in the way of trains?

I remember there was a Popondetta in the Aeon mall located just off the side of Kyoto station, may or may not still be there as I visited 2 years ago

SantaFe1970

The Aeon Popondetta still seems to be there. Thanks, Eurostar.

The Kyoto Yokobashi Camera would be more convenient for me to visit -- but does it have any trains? Hmmm.

I know that this is way late, but for future travelers. And I had never shopped at a model shop in Japan prior. This store had quite a good model train department. I bought a four car Kato shinkansen set. And several tomy tec buildings. I didn't have my passport on me, because they would have not charged me the vat tax.

Do you guys know any other model train shops in Kyoto except for Popondetta and the Kato shops? I'm particularly looking for low prices and second hand stuff.

Das Steinkopf

Have you been to the Popondetta store in Denden Town, it's a few blocks down from Kintetsu Nippombashi Eki on Sakai Suji, it's fairly close to Hobbyland Pochi and Volks. Finding the store is not the easiest as the entry is a pokie little entrance next door to the McDonalds, I walked around in circles for about 45 minutes trying to find it, mind you I had only been in Japan for four days at that point and was still trying to get used to things. Once you go in through the street entrance you negotiate the stairs to the 1st floor and you find a fairly decent sized store full of N Scale gear, the 2nd floor is about half the size and has a range of Japanese and International HO Scale gear.

post-3083-0-13347500-1489197518_thumb.png

• Like 1

http://elmo.sbs.arizona.edu/sandiway/ngauge/index.html#osaka

FYI, I've updated the page to include pictures of Volks Nipponbashi, Hobbyland Pochi, and Yodobashi Camera Umeda, as well as Joshin Super Kids Land, Kameya,.

Any chance you could put a link for google maps to the locations of these shops please?  I have some free time while in Kyoto and wouldn't mind chasing up one or two shops.

Edited by katoftw

Any chance you could put a link for google maps to the locations of these shops please?  I have some free time while in Kyoto and wouldn't mind chasing up one or two shops.

A good idea. I have embedded two Google maps into my webpage, one for the Kyoto shops and one for Osaka. 

http://elmo.sbs.arizona.edu/sandiway/ngauge/index.html

For Kyoto, I have Y=Yodobashi, V=Volks, U=Universal Model, N=Camera-no Naniwa, K=Kato @ JR Kyoto Isetan

For Osaka, I have J=Joshin, V=Volks, P=Hobbyland Pochi, Y=Yodobashi, K=Kameya

I have also added pictures of the interior of all the shops to give people some idea of what to expect.

I will add more later...

Edited by sandiway
  • Like 2

Thanks for the google maps.  Looks like I'll give Camera-no Naniwa a go since I wanna ride the Hankyu line and visiting the Pokemon Center at Takashimaya Kyoto Store anyway.  And universal Model isn't far from Higashiyama station, which I will ride in and out of Ostu anyway.

Have you been to the Popondetta store in Denden Town, it's a few blocks down from Kintetsu Nippombashi Eki on Sakai Suji, it's fairly close to Hobbyland Pochi and Volks. Finding the store is not the easiest as the entry is a pokie little entrance next door to the McDonalds, I walked around in circles for about 45 minutes trying to find it, mind you I had only been in Japan for four days at that point and was still trying to get used to things. Once you go in through the street entrance you negotiate the stairs to the 1st floor and you find a fairly decent sized store full of N Scale gear, the 2nd floor is about half the size and has a range of Japanese and International HO Scale gear.

It's basically across the road from Volks. It has an escalator up to the 2nd floor. Down is by the stairs and out the back of the shop. N-gauge is on the 2nd floor. Used (graded) and brand new. Plus two layouts. Next floor up is HO. I should add it to the page when I have a moment.

Das Steinkopf

It's basically across the road from Volks. It has an escalator up to the 2nd floor. Down is by the stairs and out the back of the shop. N-gauge is on the 2nd floor. Used (graded) and brand new. Plus two layouts. Next floor up is HO. I should add it to the page when I have a moment.

Thanks for that, I forgot how the escalator brings you up on one side of the store and how you exited on the other side going out the back, I remember a Yellow Submarine store on the corner about a block away from there, it was a "fun" experience trying to find my first model rail store in Japan.