JR Freight

Guest bill937ca

Guest bill937ca

I don't model freight myself, but other people may be interested in Japanese freight trains.  Electric and diesel locomotives are available from Kato and Tomix

From the Japanese Railway Society here some info on the state of freight operations in Japan:

Japanese Railfreight

Japanese Railfreight

These web sites will give you some photos of JR freight trains.  The sites themselves are in Japanese and can be translated with a machine translator like Google Translate.

[/url]

Some info on JR  locomotives:

Locomotives

Google Translate:

http://translate.google.com/translate_t

;D

Darren Jeffries

Thanks for the Info Bill... There have been some new engine releases from Kato recently... worth checking them out.

I never thought about modelling freight myself either (too much in love with bullet trains) but I may consider it after we have moved house and i can build a bigger layout.

Check out the Kato releases in "Heads Up"

Guest Bernard

Hi Bill,

Good to see you as a member and posting on the new website. As you know I always enjoy your posts. You hear very little about moving freight in Japan. I'll be posting my layout photos soon in the construction thread. Welcome aboard!

Guest bill937ca

Time to update one of the original  posts.

Unit limestone trains on the Chichibu Railway (oops, which is not part of JR).

Bill,

Are the Japanese freight cars smaller than those in North America? I look at that first radius the train takes coming into the station and that looks like one sharp angle.

Guest bill937ca

Bill,

Are the Japanese freight cars smaller than those in North America? I look at that first radius the train takes coming into the station and that looks like one sharp angle.

Generally they are shorter.  Those limestone hoppers are quite short by North American standards.  Remember this is 3ft6in gauge.  The containers are smaller too.

Martijn Meerts

I have a model of the Chichibu limestone train with a brown loco (old color scheme.) The cars are tiny compared to some of the US and European models. There are some fairly large container cars though, and even a "Container shinkansen" of sorts (the M250 super rail cargo). There are also some (older) oil cars which are fairly long.

CaptOblivious

The KOKI 100 series are 20m long (same as the standard commuter car, BTW)—or about 65 feet. That's on par with NorAm prototypes...