Texas HSR update

bikkuri bahn

While political/ideological bickering, NIMBYism and budget cutting is threatening the future of the California HSR project, the Texas plan for a privately funded HSR route between Houston and Dallas seems to be quietly moving along, at least so far in its preliminary stages.  The articles give the sense that this project is less politically charged:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/cyfair-news/article/Fast-rail-may-link-Houston-Dallas-in-2020-RAIL-2157909.php

http://impactnews.com/grapevine-colleyville-southlake/582-recent-news/14697-high-speed-rail-line-connecting-houston-dallas-possible-by-2020

JR Tokai, after being burned by the Florida fiasco, is probably being smart in trying the privately funded route, given the tendency for (publicly-funded) infrastructure projects to be ideologically divisive in today's America.  I recall that the president of the US firm representing JR Tokai is a former Bush administration official, so perhaps he has strong connections to the Texas Illuminati.  As far as the route is concerned, it is similar to the Florida plan is terms of geography and right of way, but far superior in terms of potential passenger volume.  JR Central, I'm sure, is keen on getting a demonstration/showcase route up and running before its Big 3 European rivals, and as this route will be completely grade separated and unburdened by demands for sharing track with slower commuter trains, ideal for the Japanese model of HSR operation.

I wonder, is that sarcasm  :laugh:

Anyway, technically, unless the flames are lapping over the edges of the viaduct or affecting lineside power supplies, technically the trains could run, as all signalling is in-cab.  An elevated right of way means emergency vehicles will be unhindered by passing trains. 

I'll believe in it when I'll see it. There has been too many projects other the years that went directly to the trash bin. I would love to see Texas HSR happen but I'm still wondering if JR Central is big enough to finance the Chuo Shinkansen (which is crazy expensive) and some other heavy projects in the States.

That said, this look promising. The mileage looks minimal for linking such big cities together. It's kind of a perfect scenario if stations are well positioned and thought out. It should be a very juicy line.