MLIT pitches shinkansen at High Speed Rail World Australia 2011 in Sydney

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMj6zRg2DH0&feature=player_embedded

...for proposed approx 1700km line from Brisbane to Melbourne.  The safety of the shinkansen system was promoted, notably in the recent earthquake where there were no fatalities or injuries on the system.  Some participants asked whether the recent HSR accident in China involved any Japanese technology.

*thanks to quashlo for the heads up

knowing australia and it's shit political morons they'll take for a terrible chinese made garbage facility that make garbage trains with yellow doors.  :grin

As I've said before, I can remember studies on HSR being done in Australia in the 1970's.  I was talking to my father on the weekend and he said Japan's bullet train sparked a study in the mid 60's - about 55 years ago.

Cheers

The_Ghan

The same in the U.S. There were high speed rail proposals in the mid sixties (I think I posted a news article from back then), and of course there was the original California HSR plan back in the early eighties, when Jerry Brown had his first go at the governorship.  With the economy in a depression, it doesn't look good for Obama, and the possible election of a right winger to the presidency will signal the end of HSR plans, and set back the U.S. for another 20~40 years.  I've said it before, but I'm thankful I live somewhere where I can use HSR to travel, because it may not happen in my lifetime in my home country.