TOMIX 6401 Rail Cleaner - whats in this stuff?

FFISKIV

I just received my 2nd TOMIX 6421 track cleaning car (in blue) and a bottle of 6401 cleaner. (I have an orange one converted to DCC)

It works beautifully.

I cant read the cleaner ingredients and I couldn't figure out what the cleaner smelled like but I think my girlfriend nailed it.  WD-40.  I ran out to the garage to double check and she's right.

Has anyone translated and know whats in this stuff?

Thanks

calpis, vodka and raw egg...

beats me when i get mine in the mail in a few weeks i will ask the wife to tell me.

Calpis, yuck. I might try Pocari Sweat in mine.

IDK what it actually is, but the club seemed to have decent results with it. I personally use a lint free cloth like a Pecpad and IPA, however I do have a TOMIX track cleaning car, but have yet to try and use it in track cleaning service with the TOMIX or any other cleaning solution. I just set it to suck mode.

i just tested this fluid works rather well even for cleaning car wheels.

Got a dried out baby wipe cut it to a 4 cm length cube and laid it over the track dipped in a bit of this.

ran the model over it and in one run it was as black as can be.

even on track that looks clean it was BLACK i mean i didn't know my track was that dirty !!!!!!!

can't wait to get my 2 cleaning cars at the end of the month going to have fun sucking and cleaning my track.

mmmm pocari sweat. always made me think it was wrung out of soccer player's wet sweat towels!!! found it powdered at our local japanese market, not bad mixed up on the fly as needed and certainly a lot cheaper than buying an imported bottle of the stuff!

back to rail cleaner. i think xylene is one of the main cleaners in tomix rail cleaner. its very effective stuff (used to be use a lot in electronics cleaning) but is not nice stuff. even wiffs of perhaps some toluene as well. sure its not stuff that could be sold normally here in the states. i think the fruity smell may be a denaturant to prevent drinking as i have smelled that one before in something in the lab in grad school that was from a denaturant added to something. the over all smell some how smells of certain urinal disinfectant cakes ive wiffed in the past. amazing how smells trigger such strong memories...

btw jrm came up with a drink called the tomix rail cleaner. it was bombay sapphire gin and something else that i think layered on white then a cherry. they were trying to mimic the jrm logo. of course a piece of code 80 rail for a swizzle stick! come to think of it gin would be a decent cleaning solution and a squirt in the mouth now an then to make the cleaning more pleasant!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1

... btw jrm came up with a drink called the tomix rail cleaner. it was bombay sapphire gin and something else that i think layered on white then a cherry. they were trying to mimic the jrm logo. of course a piece of code 80 rail for a swizzle stick! ...

cheers

jeff

How did it do in terms of cleaning the swizzle stick rail?  :cheesy

Rich K.

i wasnt at the event, but i expect it came out bright and shiny, but hey after having a rail cleaner or two a rusty rail will look clean!

one of the chaps on the yahoo n scale list swears that a glass of red wine really works wonders cleaning his rails. that is him drinking it as the rail cleaning car runs around!

cheers

jeff

I got a couple of the tomix rail cleaner re-releases, but haven't had a go with them. Anyone know where we can get hold of the 6401 cleaner? Hobby Search doesn't appear to have it on their english pages, and Plaza Japan doesn't have any.

If not - what's a good alternative?