China- condos in the way of a HSR viaduct? No problem, uh, maybe...

bikkuri bahn

I can see it now with the real estate agent saying close to Public Transport and a good eye view too. Don't worry about the noise it goes past quickly unless it de-rails.. .Oops did I say that, sorry disregard that last comment.

I just....I'm...but...it's....I mean....how the...that's just not....who the...gaaaaaaaaahhhh!

Clearly, I'm stunned. Gobsmacked even. That has got to be one of the worst failures of protecting public health and safety that I've ever seen. People in the U.S. may object to public-sector meddling, but here's what you get when you go the opposite way and ignore the most basic principles of planning and public interest. </high horse>

Dang. <shakes head>

What is all the fuss about? You guys forgot about Amarube viaduct - there is a village right under it and the natives seem to be nonplussed at having a train line above their heads. Other than that one nasty accident where a train was blown off the tracks and fell on top of a fish-packing plant, the presence of the trains above have never seemed to bother either the villagers or the powers-that-be. Japanese being Japanese, if they felt that there was any problema they would have rerouted the tracks. Considering that the viaduct is being rebuilt in concrete as we chat right now, the authorities feel no inclination to panic.

Cheers NB