Steam in Brisbane

westfalen

The annual RNA Show or Exhibition (state fair to American speakers) is on in Brisbane and as usual QR is running steam on the city circle shuttle service to the Exhibition grounds so it was a good excuse to take a bit of video at work today. This year 1958 built BB18 1/4 class Pacific No.1089 is doing the honors on four days over the next week.

• Like 1

Very nice! That Betty is a lovely engine. What's with the 1720 dead attached on the first train you filmed?

Cheers,

Mark.

Very nice! That Betty is a lovely engine. What's with the 1720 dead attached on the first train you filmed?

Cheers,

Mark.

The first train is the empty cars for the 'Spirit of the Outback' leaving Mayne for Roma Street station which is worked by a Citytrain crew who are relieved by a Bundaberg crew at Roma St. The 1720 is the car shed shunt engine which the citytrain crew use at Roma St to attach the Motorail wagon to the rear of the train, (seen later in the video) then return light engine to Mayne. This is the only diesel job I've officially driven, one weekend during my training they were short of drivers and my tutor got put on the job so he sat me in the driver's seat for the day.

Passengers have taken to letting the electrics on the loop service go past and waiting for the steam train, yesterday afternoon there were so many waiting at the Exhibition they were having to leave people behind.