SI: Blog Updates

Guest ___

As of today and aside from the blog postings, 2008 is starting off well. So far the surface top, table and track are down, though the track may not stay in place. I have the jinja stationed as well as both stations. Sadly, I just lost my job die to the economy so I have to hold off on the Kato signals, power supply for the signals and have to keep using the Tech II power pack until I can get some more money. On the bright side I have already taken care of paying for a pair of KIHA 40's to run on the layout until such time occurs that I can continue construction.

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/action,felblog.html

Sorry to hear about the job situation I hope 2009 gets better.

On the bright side, it looks like you've got a nice start and you also crossed over to the "dark side......N scale" I know you've been doing a lot of Pro Z. I look forward to seeing how the layout progresses.

Sorry to hear about the job situation I hope 2009 gets better.

On the bright side, it looks like you've got a nice start and you also crossed over to the "dark side......N scale" I know you've been doing a lot of Pro Z. I look forward to seeing how the layout progresses.

Yeah, the Pro-Z was just to give me something to run while I fabricated the N-scale. I figured it would take a while to build the n-scale. The real beast is the t-scale.

One nice thing about the Kato platforms is that some of them include the stairway/escalator up from an underground walkway. That way I'll have an answer to the question, "Dad, how do the people get to the platforms?"

That said, the only structure I'm tempted to scratchbuild is a "glass" trainshed that would fit our odd-sized platform arrangement, perhaps with an overhead walkway.

Tomorrow, I hope to go over to the hobby shop and get some more scenic cement. I tried making my own, but was not happy with how it performed. Then, I'll lay ground cover around the southern station (Sakura Jinja Station) then in front of the station (in the white area along the edge). After that I plan to lay ground cover around Plasterclother Cut. (eastern most edge of the layout)

One nice thing about the Kato platforms is that some of them include the stairway/escalator up from an underground walkway. That way I'll have an answer to the question, "Dad, how do the people get to the platforms?"

That said, the only structure I'm tempted to scratchbuild is a "glass" trainshed that would fit our odd-sized platform arrangement, perhaps with an overhead walkway.

Y'know, I think I posted this response in the wrong thread....    ???  ::)

Anyway--that looks like a very nice layout--I'm looking forward to reading the progress blog.

--scott

Aaron - I took a look at your blog and it said you were getting busy with work, but I see you've made strides. The mountain came out really well.

Here's a question, is it possible that WS scenic cement is similar to Tacky Glue or some other product? 

Yeah Matte Medium, by Sceneic Express. It's about a dollar cheaper, performs about the same. Sadly, I have to drive about forty minutes to get it so the extra driving offsets the cost savings.

Yeah Matte Medium, by Sceneic Express. It's about a dollar cheaper, performs about the same. Sadly, I have to drive about forty minutes to get it so the extra driving offsets the cost savings.

you can get get matte medium at michaels or ac moore with the 40% off coupon, cheap then!

i suspect artist matte medium may hold up better in the long run with uv and such as its designed for art pieces and thus may be a tad stabler or more careful with the materials used. although if scenic express is selling matte medium i expect its just rebranded artist matte medium like modge podge. useful stuff, dilutes well also.

arleens tacky glue is pretty much pva glue, just a thicker mixing that seems to dry a bit more flexible than standard white glues. i have just recently started using it as folks swear by it. so far its worked on the odd things i have used it on.

cheers

jeff

cheers

jeff

disturbman

I think you sould scrap the actual Mountain and redone it. It's a bit painfull but seems like the only good possibility.

Granted I'm new at this, but it seems like a repair ought to work. It's certainly worth trying a couple of ways, given the alternative.

I'm going to try and shore it up from the inside with some old wide-top pill bottles. It won't really fix the issue, but it will keep it from deteriorating any further.

disturbman

Couldn't you manage to have one thread or two about your unique layout? I'm starting to get lost between all your subject.  :laugh:

I did have one thread for blog updates, but after ten minuets of looking for it manually and under the search, I gave up on it.

EDIT: I couldn't find the original thread cause someone renamed it!