Kato Engines on Tomix Track-Minimum Radius curves?

keiman

I am hoping someone can answer this question.

Loco's need to know are as follows.

C11 Steam

DE10

DD51

Would be used with freight cars and some Greenmax coaches(for the C11). The wagons are all 4 wheel unless I end up with a few Bogie Tank wagons.

Don't want to order Track  unless I know it will work.  Clearance of coaches will not be an Issue.

The Kato C11 is not well suited to small curves. It cannot run on R140 at all, and it will derail frequently (especially the pilot) and make grinding noises on R177 and Kato's R216.

The other two I don't have so I can't comment.

As for rolling stock the old (black) 4 wheel cars will run on all the curves through I've found them a bit tipsy the tighter you go, especially on the R140 switch. The 'newer' wamu 80000 derived cars *cannot* run on all the tight curves. I'd have to go back and check but I don't think they can even run on R140 - the wheels are locked and are too far apart for either axle to be aligned close enough to the curve.

One steam engine that can handle somewhat small curves is Kato's 9600. It can run well enough (a bit tight but it works) on R177.

The short tank cars with trucks might turn out to be the best - my Taki 1900 cars handle R140 curves far better then the 4 wheel boxcars.

As for track I'd suggest you order the MA R140/R177 loop set (Tomix 91081) before any big order of track. It will let you test R140 and R177 curves and comes with a power connector. I really doubt you will be able to use R103 - except for a few Tomix trains and the Kato shorty power chasis almost nothing runs on it (for example the Bachmann 44 tonner can't even do it)

Cheers David,

Thought I would ask first as only currently have the 103 and 140 curves for the trams.

Was Thinking a C11 to go with the snowplows :cheesy

Will order the 140/177 set to use as a test track.