Sydney, Australia - Hills Model Railway Exhibition - 30-31 July 2011

The_Ghan

For fans based in Sydney, Australia or surrounds:

Hills Model Railway Exhibition: 30-31 July 2011

Harvey Lowe Pavilion - Castle Hill Showground

Off Carrington Road, Castle Hill

http://www.hmrs.org.au/exhibitions.html

I believe this is the last chance ever to see Doug Coster's famous "Two Sides of Japan" layout:

http://japanese-trains.com/2sides/

... ever, ever, I'm told !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

i'll be there with my son in the morning on Sat till who knows when probably 12 or 1 depending on how long he can stay well be haved

For fans based in Sydney, Australia or surrounds:

Hills Model Railway Exhibition: 30-31 July 2011

Harvey Lowe Pavilion - Castle Hill Showground

Off Carrington Road, Castle Hill

http://www.hmrs.org.au/exhibitions.html

I believe this is the last chance ever to see Doug Coster's famous "Two Sides of Japan" layout:

http://japanese-trains.com/2sides/

... ever, ever, I'm told !!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

For those who are going to attend this event, please take some photo's of Doug's layout as it is pretty good workmanship of the layout. Sadly I will be busy working on the modules ready for Caulfield (Melbourne) so I can't attend the Sydney event. It is a layout that can give ideas to younger or just starting modellers, but have to beware of the costs as Doug does place a lot of scenery in his layouts.

linkey,

I have a pretty good set of photos from the last show, but will have the camera out again this weekend.  My problem is getting the time to upload onto the net, but I'll do my best.

Keitaro,

Check your PM ...  :cool:

Cheers

The_Ghan

Damn,

It looks like I've got a client flying in from overseas.  I will probably not get there until Sunday.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I saw Doug's layout when he was in Melbourne last year, and I have been told by him that he has added a bit more to it from last year. So it would be sad to see it no longer on the exhibitional tour, but knowing Doug from the photos of his Setagawa and now the Enoshima layouts. I am sure he will build another masterpiece of modelling layouts to see.

I did "MapQuest" to get directions from NY, USA to Sydney, AUS and when I get to California it says to take a kayak to Australia  :grin

When you say that Doug is exhibiting his layout for the last time...do you know if he plans on making a "new layout" or is he going to stop doing exhibitions? (I hope it's not the latter)

Bernard,

If you arrive here by kayak you will most likely be considered a "boat person" AKA refugee, and sent to the Christmas Island detention centre.  From there you will be sent to Malaysia as we are negotiating an agreement to send refugees there.  So perhaps give that kayak a miss ....  :grin

Doug has three separate projects underway - all much smaller than the 6m x 4m layout that he is running now (which requires a big trailer and two assistants).  Doug is the kind of guy who plays his cards pretty close to his chest.  However, he has mentioned to a few of us that he is finishing off a B-Train Shorty layout.  It should be popular with the kids but I don't think some of the die-hard enthusiasts here are going to take too kindly to the idea.  While he hasn't mentioned any details, I've been wondering if he's going to make "shorty" buildings, cars, etc. or if it will only be the trains that are "shorty".  Knowing Doug though, he's sure to pull off an award winning masterpiece.

Linkey, some of the changes Doug makes to the layout are hard to spot.  I miss most of them. 

Cheers

The_Ghan