[Greenmax] Tokyo Monorail 1000 Type

looking forward to getting this project in action.

Do you think you could have it ready for one of the shows in Sydney?

I'd love to see a working monorail.

Prolly win an award too, such innovation!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Gee i could really try. I still don't know the specs of the track.

I'm still thinking about a good way to make it easy to unassemble.

I guess cutting the flex and adding spacers between.

I may be able to get it going unpainted :D October right?? thats the next big one i think you said.

I'm now thinking of some kind of conductive strips down the sides of the track, like brass or aluminium rod with custom pickups along the length of the motorised car.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'm now thinking of some kind of conductive strips down the sides of the track, like brass or aluminium rod with custom pickups along the length of the motorised car.

Cheers

The_Ghan

this seems the easiest way to go to me, then have the rubber roller to drag it on the top of the girder. will need some weight to grab things. going to be a lot of rollers of some sort needed to keep it aligned in each car (and a bit of weight in them). im starting to think the inverted train wheels to run on the top corner of the guideway may be the best solution as it could really reduce the number of guide rollers and top rollers in one fell swoop.

does anyone know what the makeup of the straight and curve section track kits actually consist of? or what track comes in each of the two sets?

jeff

The conductive strips could just go where the real 3rd rail pickups are. Since the prototype is streamlined you wouldn't need to use conductive wheels - the wheels could be rubber rollers for traction (either rolling on the metal rail or the 'concrete' portion above/below) and instead use sprung ski type pickups (this can be as simple as a bent brass strip, though without a spring or other retention system it may become deformed over time due to the curves in the track). The advantage of a ski type pickup is that it maintains strong contact and cleans the rail as it goes.

Has anybody gotten a clear picture on what the number of track pieces in the train kits and the track packages are? also what are the arc of the curve sections?

thanks

jeff

Has anybody gotten a clear picture on what the number of track pieces in the train kits and the track packages are? also what are the arc of the curve sections?

Non-operating = no information.

fujimi just updated there releases page with this but still no detail on the sizes of track.

oh well doesn't matter that much. I don't want it for my layout more for a fun project to make it move.

fujimi just updated there releases page with this but still no detail on the sizes of track.

From some of the photos I'm seeing it might just be a wide sweep of curved rail with no practical radius.  I'm thinking C605 Tomix Fine Track or more. 

If all of the wheels on the undercarriage are "working" (i.e. they spin) then putting a rubber tyre next to one of them and making it go should be cake. Having it stop at stations, etc is more work.

I think this is one case where I will have to wait for the kit.

that depends on if you plan to have a motor inside witha battery like pla rail or if you intend on making a prototypical pickup system for it like i do. I'm getting worked up about this as it's only 2 weeks to go.

im dubious the plastic on plastic connections for the wheels and axles will be very free rolling even with lots of lubrication. there are 8 axle/wheel joints on each truck then two trucks per car. thats a lot of potential binding points. styrene on styrene is not a smooth rub... have you ever tried to roll those plastic n scale model train trucks, even those with tip bearings like regular metal axle trucks just dont roll.

probably be best to investigate the binding silicon 'dry' lubricants they use on plastic gears. good thing here is you are starting with clean plastic which is usually an issue in using these lubricants. the ultra engine tune up folks swear by this stuff for plastic on plastic gears. only problem is those gears are usually delrin plastics, not sure if they will work on styrene.

in looking at the powering that the chap with the n scale disney train had to do, im thinking this is not going to be a piece of cake to motorize. im still thinking the HO wheels turned inside out may be the cleanest rolling solution for all the non powered cars. those wheel sets are going to have to have everything in really good alignment to not bind up with multiple cars. but lets see what they come out with!

cheers

jeff

Thanks Keitaro,

mmmhhh  :lipssealed: I hope the final glass mold is better, I think that's real "basic set" and need an hard work to obtain a good model (too much molding sign on sprue, opaque glasses..)

well, I wait my pre-order...

ciao

Massimo

The curve rails in the "Tokyo Monorail Straight & Curved Track Set"

can form half a loop, so having two sets will enable you to

form a complete loop.

So you should have no problem making a loop with your 2 sets.

Martijn Meerts

That pokemon livery is going to take a while to paint ;)

I quite like the hana ones, but I'll probably paint mine in the new livery.