China HSR glitches

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-china-train-20110716,0,7852908.story

The breakdowns this week no doubt elicited a level of schadenfreude in the Japanese media, something that wasn't lost on rail ministry spokesman Wang Yongping in an online chat with the public Thursday.

"We welcome foreign media's good-natured criticism and reasonable suggestions, but are sad that some media outlets are gloating," Wang said. "They should make sure they are taking care of their own business before they make these sorts of comments."

Well, if he's referring to Shinkansen, I'd say this to him: they've been taking care of business for 40+ years, beyotch!!

Here is the viral video mentioned in the above article.  I saw this on the late evening news here in Japan a couple of days ago, as well as the shoddy flooring at the station:

http://www.businessinsider.com/beijing-shanghai-rail-2011-7

JR Tokai or JR East should make a promo video for shinkansen aimed at foreign markets using this song :laugh:

Here is the viral video mentioned in the above article.  I saw this on the late evening news here in Japan a couple of days ago, as well as the shoddy flooring at the station:

http://www.businessinsider.com/beijing-shanghai-rail-2011-7

I'm actually most offended by that patronizing western woman in that video.  What the heck is she doing inserting herself into that situation, speaking to everyone in English when they obviously don't understand the language and then actually wiping the tears off the face of the attendant?  Cripes.  You can actually see the attendant flinch at that, which she never does in reaction to the Chinese woman who's berating her.

To be honest wether they no english or not shhhh with your thing over your mouth is universal for shut the frak up.

Feel sorry for the worker i would given thst chinese lady a mouth full or 2 in english regardless of if she knew english or not

To be honest wether they no english or not shhhh with your thing over your mouth is universal for shut the frak up.

Feel sorry for the worker i would given thst chinese lady a mouth full or 2 in english regardless of if she knew english or not

And the wiping the tear off somebody's face, as if you've known this person you've never met all your life?

I'm sorry, I don't care if somebody's trying to defend me, if I've never met you before, you don't touch me.  That's doubly true in all Asian cultures that I know of, which this woman apparently was clueless about.

The passenger in the pink shirt does enough grabbing at the attendant, that's pretty clear assault.

At no point does she touch her face, right under her eye.

Just look at the attendant's reaction.  She's clearly caught off guard by that, she visibly flinches for the first time in the entire exchange.  And as anyone who knows anything about any Asian culture should be able to tell you, that's a huge no-no to do that to somebody you don't know extremely well.

Krackel Hopper

I'm actually most offended by that patronizing western woman in that video.

I fail to see where the "patronizing" comes from?

I'll agree, Asian or not, someone you don't know putting their hand on your face is uncomfortable..

but what is the alternative?  Sitting silently watching someone being verbally and physically abused?

Her actions may not have been appropriate, but her actions where of good intentions.. which is more than you can say for any of the other patrons on the train who are doing nothing to help the situation.

• Like 1

wether the wiping of the eye is stupid or not the chinese bitch abusing her over something she has no control of is just rubbish.

I'm actually most offended by that patronizing western woman in that video.  What the heck is she doing inserting herself into that situation, speaking to everyone in English when they obviously don't understand the language and then actually wiping the tears off the face of the attendant?  Cripes.  You can actually see the attendant flinch at that, which she never does in reaction to the Chinese woman who's berating her.

spacecadet,

My only problem with the westerner is that she didn't punch that Chinese woman in the face to shut her up.  Had Mrs Ghan and I been there the pair of us would have been more involved that that westerner.  Let's see how big that Chinese woman is at voicing her complaints to the people REALLY responsible: The Chinese Communist Party!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

I'm actually pretty surprised by the reaction to this in here too.  As someone who is married to an Asian woman, I can pretty much guarantee that what this train attendant is going to remember most - and tell her friends and relatives about years later - is going to be this random western woman touching her face out of nowhere.  She's not even going to remember the Chinese woman berating her.  Dealing with customers is part of her job.  And some of those customers will be angry.  She knew that going in, she is in a customer service position.  What this Chinese lady is doing is no different than what a lot of irate customers do.  But when somebody asks her in ten years "what are some of the weirdest things that happened to you on the train?" she's going to say "well, one time this random western woman wiped my face with her hand out of nowhere while I was dealing with a customer."

You don't touch the face.  Full stop.  It doesn't matter the reason; it's an invasion of personal space there.  Like I said, just watch her reaction.  She's completely taken aback by it.  You just don't do that.

You don't touch the face.  Full stop.  It doesn't matter the reason; it's an invasion of personal space there.  Like I said, just watch her reaction.  She's completely taken aback by it.  You just don't do that.

Ahhh, I too have an Asian wife.  Point taken, spacecadet!

The westerner did, however, have good intentions.

The whole incident reminds me of a joke:

The train was quite crowded, so a U. S. Marine walked the

entire length looking for a seat, but the only seat left was taken by a

well dressed, middle-aged, French woman's poodle...

The war-weary Marine asked, 'Ma'am, may I have that seat?'

The French woman just sniffed and said to no one in

particular 'Americans are so rude. My little Fifi is using that seat.'

The Marine walked the entire train again, but the only seat left

was under that dog. 'Please, ma'am. May I sit down? I'm very tired.

She snorted, 'Not only are you Americans rude, you are also arrogant!'

This time the Marine didn't say a word; he just picked up the

little dog, threw it out of the train window, and sat down.

The woman shrieked, 'Someone must defend my honour! This

American should be put in his place!'

An English gentleman sitting nearby spoke up, 'Sir, you Americans often

seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong thing.

You hold the fork in the wrong hand. You drive your cars on the wrong side of the road.

And now, sir, you seem to have thrown the wrong bitch out of the window.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

Train personal get abused for something they have no control of all the time, in every single country that has trains.

I see no reason why this whole episode is causing such a discussion on the forum, other then that it happened in China, and I do feel there's an increase in anti-China sentiment here recently ...

Oh Martijn,

Have a cup of hot chocolate and warm that ice-cold heart of yours !!!    :grin

The poor girl was in tears.  She was probably so chuffed to have gotten a job with the HSR company.  I'll bet she's as green as grass and was taught how to sell tickets, not deal with whinging customers.

Clearly, she needed a BEX and a good lie down!!!

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

I don't have an ice-cold heart, I also never give train personnel any crap for things they can't help :)

Not long ago we had a 1.5 hour delay because the train broke down. We were at a station, so we could at least go out a bit, and the train personnel were quite helpful with telling everybody what's going on. Of course, after 10 minutes all the elderly ladies who seem to think they're royalty began whining to everyone and everything. Of course, the first thing they ask is where to can get a form to fill out, so they can get their money back (more than an hour delay means you can ask for a refund.)

It's something you see everywhere though.. People seem to have no time, run for the trains/bus/tram/whatever, go through life being stressed 24/7 just about, all the while thinking they're all important and everything revolves around their person... It was very noticeable in Oslo, where people would run like crazy for the tram, then kick and scream when they couldn't make it, while the next tram for the same destination was only 5 minutes away...

Hey Martijn,

I notice from the video that the attendant is already sobbing at the start, so we obviously missed the beginning of the altercation.  My guess is that she was unprepared for verbal assault, or perhaps had one too many, because she holds her own towards the end of the video, despite the tears.

Cheers

The_Ghan

Martijn Meerts

Ghan, to be honest, I haven't watched the video ;)

Keitaro, if they're trying to patent high speed rail in general, they'll obviously fail. If they're trying to patent certain bits of their HSR system, they'll probably get the patent. Of course, no one will use their patented technology, because Japanese and German HSR technology is generally seen as superior.

As for not abiding by patent laws.. Some companies do, some companies don't, just like in the rest of the world. So far Chinese courts haven't cared much about it, but if Chinese companies start applying for patents, that might very well change.

Also, I don't seen Chinese HSR trains derail on a regular basis. There have been some issues yes, some which should not have happened. However, the same can be said about the German ICE accident which caused a lot more deaths than the Chinese HSR problems. Even now, the German system isn't free of glitches.

Mudkip Orange

At no point does she touch her face, right under her eye.

I never defended the caucasian chick. That shit was the creepy.

I'm just sayin' what the passenger was doing, that clearly rises to assault.