Amusement Park Diorama

Bernard

Sorry I couldn't participate in this years project party....but finally I have some time and I've been toying with this idea for some time. All the structures are HO scale. (I wished it was N but what can you do :( ) 

In the past I'm built some Amusement rides and decided to start putting them together in a diorama.

Here are some photos of the structures positioned on the base......I have a swimming pool that will be located at the entrance, then there will be a gate to the rides. Here are some photos of what I planning to do. 

post-22-1356992845035_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928450592_thumb.jpg

post-22-1356992845089_thumb.jpg

Bernard,

very fun! i have a soft spot for those as well and have been collecting n scale ones over the years (got most all of them except for the jupiter and the octopus, those go for ridiculous amounts and i think i can scratch build them). keep hoping to do some little amusement park sometime. cool thing about doing it in japan is that things are nice and crammed together so makes life easier. i really want a wild mouse faller roller coaster in HO and then downscale the cars to be 2x the rows of n scale people in them. even thought is a small roller coaster its still pretty big. lots of fun when its going though!

i keep looking at auctions of some of the great animated HO rides and thinking i may grab a few cheap for the guts of the animation and then scratch build the rest to n scale, there are sooo many cool ones in HO!

ill be waiting to see what you come up with, looks like great fun!

jeff

Jeff - Finding good small motors and re-tooling these rides is the key.  Every IHC kit I've had to modify in some way. I found that the motors in old Walkman Cassette players worked the best.

That's a neat little set of rides you have there Bernard!  I've been tempted to go down this road a couple of times myself.  Someday I want to include an amusement park on a layout.

Yeah, Jeff, the selection the HO folks have is just amazing!  I'd love to build that roller coaster from Faller just for fun.  In fact, I'll bet it wouldnt be too difficult for that one to be represented as a giant coaster in N scale....hmmm...that's a thought!

Jeff - Finding good small motors and re-tooling these rides is the key.  Every IHC kit I've had to modify in some way. I found that the motors in old Walkman Cassette players worked the best.

ha thats a good idea! you can get those super cheap these days!

ornament motors also make nice slow turning motors as well.

Quin, yep i keep looking at the mouse and i think it might look ok as a larger n scale coaster!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Faller has done some great stuff in H0 if it comes to rides. Their water ride is really cool as well, even though it moves very non-prototypical (obviously ;))

The most impressive one is the newer, HUGE ferris wheel though. I've seen it built and lit when I was at Miniatur Wunderland in Hamburg, and it's just an amazing sight. The size and the whole light set up is excellent :)

ornament motors also make nice slow turning motors as well.

jeff

GREAT Idea!! I need one for a Merry-Go-Round! Thanks

some interesting custom amusement park rides went up on ebay in the last week.

gravitron, interesting one that could be easily scratch built

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170669480095&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_540wt_883

pair of kiddie rides. interesting bumper car that could be done with an off-center disc below on the motor and magnets to drag the cars around. he has this listed twice not sure if he has two sets.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170669480095&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_540wt_883

couple of other roundyrounds more for z, but might make it as n scale kiddie rides

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170669754066&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_514wt_883

im always looking in the craft store for little details that would make good n scale cars for rides like this. not a lot has turned up though. i want to find a cake decorations store, they use to have a lot of little things that would be perfect for n scale, but i have not seen them for a long time and im wondering if the small stuff is no longer used as a choking hazard...

cheers

jeff

I started working on the swimming pool and cut out the pattern of the pool into the foam. Here are some photos.

I think I'm going to keep the pool separate from the amusement part and do another diorama where I have the option of connecting the 2.

post-22-13569928504284_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928504547_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928504779_thumb.jpg

post-22-1356992850503_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

bernard,

cool, so will the pool people swim around?

jeff

Yes they will swim around the pool...and with the heat wave we're experiencing I been finish it fast or those little people will have heat stroke!  :grin

Okay, I've done some more work on the Amusement Park and the Pool area....they are now separate and can be joined together if I decided to do so in the future. In the Pool diorama I'm adding a children playground and for the adults, table tennis....and maybe a bocci court (if I only knew what that was  :cheesy)

Here is the layout of each module:

post-22-13569928545269_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928545518_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928545765_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928545999_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay I've done some more work on the dioramas.

With the Amusement Park I've changed the positions of the rides and have some of them at an angle. In the 2 photos you can see where I've placed the Lite foam tape for the walkways and will fill them in with Lite spackle and paint it gray.

On the Pool, I make 2 separate areas, a playground for kids and Table Tennis for the adults. I'm separating the 2 areas with a fence. How I made the fence (and I'm cheap!) I used a rough sandpaper used in a sanding belt that has perforations. I cut the sandpaper with scissors and then painted them silver. I'm add straight pins as posts later. Here are the photos:

post-22-13569928550121_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928550416_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928550667_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928550913_thumb.jpg

interesting a couple of guys started putting up their own amusement park rides on ebay recently (ive followed n scale amusement park rides for years on ebay). this is more than just the simple circus tents and a few other odd things other than the kits that have been up. pretty crude

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=carnival+O+A+K&_sacat=19119&LH_PrefLoc=2&_dmpt=Model_RR_Trains&_odkw=&_osacat=19119&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

this guy's stuff is animated and the other night he had a pair up for $10 so i grabbed a set to see what mechanism he uses. the bumper cars looks fun. he is making stuff in ho to z.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170683315409?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1044

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tj.brooks/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

cheers

jeff

Bill,

thanks for this, i was trying to remember the name of the Hanayashiki park as curt and i were talking about it the other weekend. the wild thing is that is literally right behind the Sensoji temple. its a fun little very compact amusement park and what i hope to model eventually on a layout with the temple scene near the park. the shirne/temple complex has many buildings close to the tomytec and fujimi buildings.

cheers

jeff

yes its really packed with great stuff. a nice traditional shopping street, couple of shopping arcades, lots of high rise apartment buildings, a hotel, and a river. lots of cool stuff.

you can also walk through it and the temple/shrine grounds on google maps! really is a nice microcosm of scenes!

jeff

(lets see curt make some panda bears to ride on!)

warning next one may shock you!

I have pretty much completed the diorama of the pool and the Amusement Park rides. It is designed to be inserted into an HO layout in the future. Almost everything works, a little problem with the Merry-Go-Round table being warped and need a motor...(need to borrow one of my sister-in-law's animated Xmas ornaments...and hopes she doesn't want it back  :grin)

The sidewalks are in and all I need are people.

Here are some photos......unfortunately I don't have my flip camera with me to show it working.

post-22-13569928661209_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928661696_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569928661976_thumb.jpg

Bernard,

Wow thats going to be a good sized park at HO scale! the animator ornament rotators may be a bit slow for your merry go round and may not be strong enough. they are pretty wimpy, low powered motors on them.

your project got me back onto my Hanayashiki park idea again! the cool thing with Hanayashiki is that the whole park is less than 450' x 250', so thats less than 3'x2' modeling area. cool thing is that the rim is all street buildings as well so it can fit right in with city buildings going right up to the park! really love that its also a block away from the a large temple/shrine complex!

im now thinking of starting the construction of this as a unit that later can get dropped into a layout. i want to animate and light as many parts of it as possible so i will need to get into work on it a lot so i think the whole thing will need to be able to come out anyway. this way i can work on it before the layout is started and just build around it! actually might work in the center of the jrm layout as well!

as doramas go an amusement park seems like a really fun one to do! lots of elements to add with animation, mini scenes, lights, sounds, and great density.

cheers

jeff

Jeff - Thanks for the info! The IHC amusement ride kits are very interesting BUT they plastics they use are of an inferior quality. The Merry-go-round's base is warped and gearing in most of the rides have to be "kitbashed" due to the fact that the motors they make just don't cut it. I've been using old "walkman cassette" motors to make the rides run....they are small enough and of excellent quality.