brush on super glue

cteno4

Ok heres an odd but nice find. i usually by my superglue at the dollar store. three small tubes for a buck. great deal and they come in a nice re sealable bag that keeps the open ones fresher and good tops that reseal a few times. at 33 cents each as soon as it dries out you can toss it. they have the thick and thin versions and they can be mixed to make a medium viscosity one as well. only rub is they are a tad slow drying.

well a couple of months ago they had a little 5g bottle of brush on super glue. its in a little bottle with a brush in the cap. i grabbed one figuring it would be interesting but with little expectations. i used it on a few misc things in the office and seemed to glue like regular superglue. well I was just putting together a tomytec building and decided to give the brush on glue a whirl. Its superb for glueing tomytec buildings. the brush is a great applicator and the glue is just the right viscosity to paint on tabs and not have it run, but when painted along a joint it will still wick in a bit. only issue can be its pretty fast drying, you only have a couple of seconds when parts are put together and its bonded. fine if you are using tabs where things are automatically aligned, but any freestyle glueing you need to be fast and accurate with your drop!

its been open maybe a month now and still seems to be going strong!

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, the superglue with brush is definitely handy.. With the tubes of glue I always end up with almost nothing coming out of the tube, or way too much coming out of it.. Seems like there's no middle way :)

i usually use waxed paper and put a big drop of glue on it. then i use a toothpick to then apply it to the part with a lot more control!

to make the toothpick suck up more glue you can take a hobby knife and split the tip of the toothpick about 3-4mm and pry the tip apart like a mm. this little Y holds a nice dab of super glue then. usually find the bamboo toothpicks work the best. you can get a big box for a buck at the dollar store.

cheers

jeff

as usual when i was at the dollar store last friday they did not have this! arrrgggg! our dollar store seems to cycle through products. they almost always reappear, but that can at times take months to happen (this trip i found some divider holders and tape dispensers that have been gone for months that i wanted more of though!)

i had grabbed the one bottle a few months ago on a lark thinking it would be crap, not as great as the stuff turned out to be!

ill keep looking...

cheers

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Next time I'm in DC, I definitely need to go to that dollar store and buy half the place... Seems they have a lot of cool stuff =)

yeah, its got a lot of great stuff that are good for things you may need a few of. its right next to the hobby shop and a food store i got to once a week so i usually do a 5 minute troll and find something interesting to use on the trains or even around the house now and then. here are a few of the useful things ive found:

- little trays to have partially built projects on

- super glues

- simple screw drivers (either 5 tiny jewelers screw drivers for having all over the place or the replaceable tip kind)

- scissors

- small tape desk dispensers (then you can have one for each kind of tapes you have around like various double sticks, colored, etc)

- various little plastic containers for storage

- bulk toothpicks

- bamboo skewers

- various size popsicle sticks

- little strainers to use with ground foam application

- small spring clamps

- spray bottles

- hair spray

- isopropyl alcohol (although they stopped doing any over 50% now so pretty useless...)

- wire mesh pencil holders for small tool holders

- cheap kitchen utensils and containers for mixing hobby stuff

cheers

jeff