Trolley Tram LRV Schedules

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Looking for information on real city Tram and Trolley schedules.

Wondering how many trams occupy each mile?

Do they keep running a loop or bounce between 2 end points and 2-3 Trams per track?

Thanks in advance.

Hobby Dreamer

Tough question to answer...

Depend on what city, time of day etc.  For Toronto, you can get the TTC schedule online.; or you can look at Google Maps (satellite-view) and judge for yourself..

I'm happy to help for Toronto, let me know...

Guest Closed Account 1

As I thought, each trolley is numbered and its number is scheduled on the routes.

Here's a sweet map of Toronto Street Car routes.

Doesn't look like any two share the same track. Just the vicinity.

What does 820 feet or 250 meters in N Scale look like? That's Hong Kong Station spacing.

I'm putting the stations where people are most likely going to want to use them.

post-436-13569928436216_thumb.png

Many TTC streetcar lines share track.

Broadview Ave: 504, 505

Queen Street: 501, 502, 503

King Street: 503, 504, 508

Dundas St W: 505, 506

Fleet St: 509, 511

Queen's Quay: 509, 510

Hobby Dreamer

One thing about trams (and all public transport to a degree) is that there is a "bunching" at peak times.. The 1st tram stops to load up and the others catch up..

Toronto also has a few tram barns where the trams go each evening (although there are a few 24 hour lines..)

So, in a layout it would not matter that there is uneven spacing or trams on the same track heading to the tram barn..

Guest Closed Account 1

Look closer they each have their own lines.

I don't want to say but I'm pretty sure Bill knows what he is saying...

Plus, If you look closer at the map you can see that even if lines are individually shown the name of the street they are running on are also indicated. And I'm positive that, even if I never went there, there is no street in Toronto with 3 pairs of tracks adjacent to each others. That would be silly. Also, Toronto won't be the first city to show every service as an independent service even if they share track with other lines. This is a pretty common map practice... What I don't get is why North America is set on trying to make their network maps unreadable to non-users. I mean I've seen so much maps now using the same color codes for every or many lines that it's impossible to understand what's going on there. For that, nothing beats a RATP like plan with every line singled out by color, even buses.

Bill does know what hes talking about, extremely well, as he lives outside toronto and knows the system very well. he took me around on some rides and yes there is a lot of sharing of lines and line switching that occurs out on the streets like the old times!

like distrubman said maps that use two lines on the same street will have two lines drawn on the map but does not mean they run on separate tracks on the same street. same is true of the nyc subways in some stations you have to watch which train to get on the same platform that are different lines, but on the map they all have their own lines!

cheers

jeff

Look closer they each have their own lines.

Whoever created the map the drew each line separately.  They run for the most part of four lane city streets without reservation with a single track in each direction. All Toronto streetcars are single ended and turn around in loops.  Cars can be and are often turned at any point with a switch. With diversions streetcars go all over the place (see the track map).

If you think they don't run together you should check out this blog post by transit advocate Steve Munro. The reconstruction of the intersection of King and Bathurst is pending.  Street capacity will be completely overwhelmed as 5 streetcar routes detour.

http://stevemunro.ca/?p=5378

Track map as of 1999.  Official TTC.

TTC Streetcar Lines (photos)

Bill, is (or maybe I should say "was" with Rob Ford in power) there any plan to segregate trams from the neighboring street traffic?

Another system with multiple lines on a single mainline and with current models in HO and N is Hong Kong.

The 6 main routes are: -

From   To

Shau Kei Wan   Western Market

Shau Kei Wan   Happy Valley

North Point          Shek Tong Tsui

Causeway Bay   Shek Tong Tsui

Happy Valley   Kennedy Town

Shau Kei Wan   Kennedy Town

Track map

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5RlzqXdJb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGKhMlzaAU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXeUdsEAkNk

Bill, is (or maybe I should say "was" with Rob Ford in power) there any plan to segregate trams from the neighboring street traffic?

Rob Ford would like to kill all streetcar lines, but the new streetcars have already been ordered and he can't cancel the order or sell them.  Segregating St. Clari was a fiasco with much political bad will, that really could apply to any botched sewer, road or other mega construction project. It was simply a poorly managed project.

He did kill the suburban Transit City light rail network in favor of a subway which he doesn't have the money for and an eventually regional light rail subway  along Eglinton Avenue, built and probably run by the province. We'll see what happens in four years.

Guest Closed Account 1

Tucson Modern Tram project Team actually responded to my questions.

One 4 mile line, 6 trams running at 10 minute intervals by day and 20 minute interval at night.

So Sweet. Almost done with this chaos.

Would it look too busy to run 4 trams on a 6 foot oval with double tracks? Each tram will occupy its own hemisphere with multiple stops. The varied speeds and bouncing between unequal point to points will ultimately create a natural, random schedule. Should keep the crowd guessing.

No, that wouldn't look too busy at all. In fact, people at general-public train shows tend to gravitate to our East Penn trolley layouts (in various scales) because there is always something moving within sight to watch, and the vehicles are colorful. Compare that to staring at an empty Ntrak stretch until the 100-car hopper train (all black, but with differing car numbers!) finally crawls around the bend...

Rich K.

Guest Closed Account 1

No, that wouldn't look too busy at all. In fact, people at general-public train shows tend to gravitate to our East Penn trolley layouts (in various scales) because there is always something moving within sight to watch, and the vehicles are colorful. Compare that to staring at an empty Ntrak stretch until the 100-car hopper train (all black, but with differing car numbers!) finally crawls around the bend...

Rich K.

Oh you're one of the EP traction Guys? Cool videos to watch on youtube on a big flat screen.

Got a whole collection of Trolleys to run. Thanks!