Light singals left or right?

Hi all!!

May be this is a stupid question... but I just want to make sure I don't make a terrible mistake: Where are the light and normal signals situated in Japan, on the left or on the right of the track?

In Japan everything seems to be in the opposite side than in my country: cars have the steering weel on the right side, people walk in a perfect order (this is also distinct from my country  :grin ) on the left side of the sidewalk or stairs, ..... but if I well remember train driver was seated on the left part (the opposite side of car drivers), so I suppose signals are also on the left (referring to the sense of travel).

A similar question: in a double track, trains are travelling on the left track? Is there any more or less fixed norm like cars on the street?

:dontknow:

Thanks!

bikkuri bahn

Japan adopted its railway practices (and road running) mainly from Great Britain- that's why left hand running is standard.  Signals are also placed on the left side, so as to be most visible to drivers with their sitting position on the left.

• Like 1

Japan adopted its railway practices (and road running) mainly from Great Britain- that's why left hand running is standard.  Signals are also placed on the left side, so as to be most visible to drivers with their sitting position on the left.

All true. But you will see right-side signals in places where clearance or other issues make it necessary and where they won't be mistaken for applying to another track.  A common example is an island platform in a multi-platform station, where signals for both tracks are often located just past the end of the platform, so if both tracks are used for the same direction, the left track's signal will be on the right relative to the train.

But normally, signals will be to the left.

Nick_Burman

All true. But you will see right-side signals in places where clearance or other issues make it necessary and where they won't be mistaken for applying to another track.  A common example is an island platform in a multi-platform station, where signals for both tracks are often located just past the end of the platform, so if both tracks are used for the same direction, the left track's signal will be on the right relative to the train.

Also in sharp curves the signals for the LH track will be put over to the right side to permit better visibility.

Cheers NB

Same thing applies here in Brisbane, that's why up to a year of a driver's training is learning where the signals are.

bikkuri bahn
Also in sharp curves the signals for the LH track will be put over to the right side to permit better visibility.

Don't forget the use of repeating signals.

On the left side (San-in Main Line):

http://img4.blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ybi/1/11/a9/kihakisahakikuha/folder/1803631/img_1803631_63093479_45?1304949059

Located in the middle between tracks, the signal it repeats is on the right side (Yoyogihachiman Station, Odakyu Line):

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%AB:Repeating_signal_Yoyogihachiman_sta_ja.jpg

• Like 1

Same thing applies here in Brisbane, that's why up to a year of a driver's training is learning where the signals are.

One year studding where did they put the signals LOL !!!!  :confused2:

How long does it take them to find the brakes?

That's the easy part, you've got to know 'when' to use them. You have to sit in front of a tutor and recite from memory the location of every grade, signal, speed limit, level crossing, whistle board, and anything else you need to know along each route you have to run on.

As an exercise try doing that for a 40km route you drive everyday in your car, it isn't easy.

On my railway we have signal repeaters and signal indicators. Trainees are always confused initially when you tell them that a repeater indicates, and an indicator repeats. Then there are co-acting signals...  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

On my railway we have signal repeaters and signal indicators. Trainees are always confused initially when you tell them that a repeater indicates, and an indicator repeats. Then there are co-acting signals...  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Reminds me that stuff sent by truck is Shipping, and stuff sent by ship is Cargo.

Does this mean that you see the repeater first?

Yes, you do. They're provided where the signal is obscured by the curvature of the track, or by being in a cutting, to give two typical examples.

Cheers,

Mark.