Japan Train Enthusiasts Tour

If you were to take a Japan Train Enthusiasts Tour, what would you like the tour to focus on?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. If you were to take a Japan Train Enthusiasts Tour, what would you like the tour to focus on?

• Train Carriage
    • Train Route
    • Train Station
    • Take as many photos of carriage/stations as possible
    • New Trains
    • Old Trains
    • Bullet Trains
    • Get on trains as much as possible
    • Take photos of trains as much as possible

Martijn Meerts

Unless they're a member of the forum and spend as much time and money on trains as you do ;)

• Like 1

Haha, Martijn Meerts-san I'm hoping to have the final itinerary unveiled by the end of Aug and tour would prob depart June 2012. You guys will be the first to find out when its all done!

Hi Westfalen-san, Oh yes absolutely. Whenever I travel in Kyushu, I really plan my trip as winging it is not the thing to do over there. Would love to hear what you thought of Miyazaki!

I loved Miyazaki. If it wasn't so hot, I'd live there. The palm trees are great, and Miyazaki Station is so bright and lively. (though it is very small with two platforms serving four tracks)  Direct access to the airport too. The run north through the rice fields toward Takanabe is great. Closest thing Hawaii one gets without going (unless, you consider Okinawa.)

• Like 1

I haven't posted anything on my trip last weekend, but have this comment. If people want to shoot as many trains as possible, then spending more time at a hot spot is better that riding the trains. I rode the local trains from Shinjuku to Bessho Onsen and then back by way of Shinonoi and Matsumoto, from 5:15 AM to 22:30 PM. Last time I went from Shinjuku to Matsumoto and back. I started at 8:00 and rode a 183 to Otsuki and rode a local to Kofu, Kobuchizawa, Okaya and Matsumoto and spent about one or two hours at each spot, more at Matsumoto. Rode the Super Azusa back and arrived at 21:30. I was able to shoot more trains when I was waiting at a station than when constantly riding. Some like the Koumi line run infrequently, so stopping at a station would shorten the amount of lines that you could ride.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

gmat makes a good point- there is a tradeoff that has to be made between getting a lot of mileage on a variety of train services, and taking good quality pictures.  I tend to be over-ambitious in my trip planning, as I can usually get away with it with Japan's reliable railway network.  However, there have been a number of times where I wanted to stay a bit longer at a location but had to leave to catch a critical connecting train.  I do have the luxury of scrapping/modifying plans en route, as I almost always travel alone, and if a location IMO warrants it, I'll visit it again later in the year or the following year (I've done this a couple of times w/Yokkaichi, and this summer I'll get to Yatomi on the Kansai Main Line to photograph an evening tanker train I missed this spring on a visit- I was using the station restroom when it rumbled through :sad:).  With a tour group, of course, such things can't be done.

*another thing: if your tour has a strong emphasis on photographing older stock, and especially stock in danger of retirement, better to schedule the tour before the fall timetable revision (in the beginning of Oct.), as this is the primary time such stock is finally displaced by new stock.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I guess you could have days where you go to a certain station, and those who want to stay there to take pictures can do so, while the rest can ride the local trains. Personally, I do like being on a station watching trains, but I prefer riding them. Having the group split into 2 is a good way to accommodate most people. Of course, you'll never be able to satisfy everyone ;)

Mich, will be interesting to hear the details. I've been wanting to go to Japan for a long time, still haven't been there yet :)

• Like 1

If everyone has a rail pass there would be no problem with some going train riding while others hang around a good photo spot. On the Trainaway tours we often split up into groups depending on our interests and go separate ways.

This trip is starting to sound interesting.

• Like 1

During the summer, Yamadori, a 485 series joyful train with the Japanese style seating runs from Shinjuku to Naganohara-Kusatsuguchi Station on the weekends. That might be an interesting experience. Kusatsu Onsen is a 30 minute ride on JR buses from the station.

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

So can we plan to have this trip around one of the shows? That would basically be my dream trip.

Good thinking, whenever I go to Japan I always see posters for shows that are on the week after I get home.

• Like 1

Seriously a week of riding trains, photographing trains, buying trains, and going to a train show.. I think I can die peacefully after a trip like that LOL. Can be any train show really, though JAM would be my top pick (Aug I think?). Shikzuoka is May I think? What shows are in June?

I've already thrown the idea to the wife of me going by myself (or possibly dragging my then 4 year old toddler with me). So far no out right "NO!". I told her to move in with my parents for a week since they are the ones looking after our kids currently hahaha.

• Like 1

Seriously a week of riding trains, photographing trains, buying trains, and going to a train show.. I think I can die peacefully after a trip like that LOL. Can be any train show really, though JAM would be my top pick (Aug I think?). Shikzuoka is May I think? What shows are in June?

I've already thrown the idea to the wife of me going by myself (or possibly dragging my then 4 year old toddler with me). So far no out right "NO!". I told her to move in with my parents for a week since they are the ones looking after our kids currently hahaha.

+1 That's what I plan to do with my lottery winnings if I ever won, or played.

• Like 1

Wow, lots of comments thank you!

To avoid my continuous comment thread, I'm going to reply in one post, forgive me.

Monorail Cat - san, I totally agree about Miyazaki, you get that resort feel but you're in Japan. What could be better! & I will try to budget the tour so you won't need to touch your lotto winnings haha.

Gmat - san, Thats really important to keep in mind, thank you! That trip from Shinjuku to Bessho Onsen sounds awesome. I guess I would have to factor in spending time at a hot spot versus riding on trains. The tour is going to be planned for June or July 2012 so Yamadori sounds good. Thanks again!

Bikkuri Bahn - san, Good point about Gmat - san's comment. I am getting the feeling that whoever goes on the tour would probably spend an extra week or so in Japan doing their own thing so perhaps thats when people can spend time to take good pictures?

Martijin Meerts - san, Splitting the group in two is a great idea but does bring the cost up as one guide can't handle it. Its definetely something that I can look into though. Thanks!

Westfalen - san, Thats a good point, if people don't mind being left alone while they are taking photos, perhaps the group can split. Haha, its hard to get everything in one trip and I myself find out that I missed out on things like these when I come back. Thanks!

Clem24 - san, Yeah that is something that I was really wanting to do as well. Information for 2012 is not out yet (as far as I can research) so planning makes a little hard. So you were thinking of JAM? Let me look into it. Haha, I can imagine the wife won't be too keen on days of trains lol.

Should have the tentative plan by the end of Aug to show you guys, thanks for all the comments and keep them coming!

Martijn Meerts

Mich, the group staying at the station won't need a guide, they're not going anywhere after all. Unless, of course, you have a guide that knows everything about any trains that might pass/stop at the station in question ;)

• Like 1

I agree with all the suggestions made so far in this thread. I've travelled over 40% of all lines in Japan so I have some expirence :-)

One more thing:

Which month?

- Avoid June, July, August - at least in Kansai and Kanto. Rain, rain, hot, hot, humid, humid

- Best seasons for rail travel depends on which part of the country that you will cover. For a tour with focus on Kansai (better than Kanto both for railway and for tourism in general), I would recommend late March- late May or late Sept - early Nov.

A really nice combination is to start the tour late March with a tour on Tadami line with all the snow. I've done such a tour - amazing! (and I'm from Sweden where we are used to snow, but not that amount).

• Like 1

JAM would be nice to attend, but its smack in the middle of summer, worst months for crowds, rain, and temp.

perhaps there is a smaller model show that would be in the shoulder seasons that would still have the biggies at like kato, microace, greenmax, and tomy with the new releases to look at and some more. for those non japanese speaking the show will be fun, but hard to gather much info so maybe a smaller show would be easier. jam always looks really crowded in the pictures ive seen as well.

just a thought.

jeff

• Like 1

Mich, the group staying at the station won't need a guide, they're not going anywhere after all. Unless, of course, you have a guide that knows everything about any trains that might pass/stop at the station in question ;)

Thanks thats a great advice. desperately trying to find a guide thats also a rail enthusiast as well.

- Avoid June, July, August - at least in Kansai and Kanto. Rain, rain, hot, hot, humid, humid

- Best seasons for rail travel depends on which part of the country that you will cover. For a tour with focus on Kansai (better than Kanto both for railway and for tourism in general), I would recommend late March- late May or late Sept - early Nov.

A really nice combination is to start the tour late March with a tour on Tadami line with all the snow. I've done such a tour - amazing! (and I'm from Sweden where we are used to snow, but not that amount).

Thank you Kitayama san

I was thinking of June actually to keep the cost down, if we do early June, rainy season wouldn't have really hit yet and shouldn't be too bad. I actually really wanted to Nov but the price shoots up because of the autumn leaves and of course March because of the cherry blossoms. Would you prefer to pay the higher price to get those views or keep the costs low?

JAM would be nice to attend, but its smack in the middle of summer, worst months for crowds, rain, and temp.

perhaps there is a smaller model show that would be in the shoulder seasons that would still have the biggies at like kato, microace, greenmax, and tomy with the new releases to look at and some more. for those non japanese speaking the show will be fun, but hard to gather much info so maybe a smaller show would be easier. jam always looks really crowded in the pictures ive seen as well.

just a thought.

jeff

Thank you Jeff,

My team in Japan are looking into this as well, its a good idea to try smaller show.

Martijn Meerts

Mich, personally, I would pay extra to go during the cherry blossom season, but that might be because I've never been to Japan, and this never seen the cherry blossoms. I can imagine others would rather the trip be as cheap as possible so they can go to the hobby store(s) and spend the cash there :)

Of course, if the whole thing turns out to be popular, there's no reason not to offer a cherry blossom trip (Sakura Express :)) and a "regular" trip later in the year.

• Like 1

One thing that might make your tour more attractive is to provide something that you couldn't do going on your own, and that could be a group tour of a train facility. I would say that one of the more local lines and on a weekend might be the best bet. But considering the number of rail fans in Japan, that might be setting a bad precedent as they would be inundated with requests.

I just did another weekend pass trip, one to Aizu-Wakamatsu and the other to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and on to Manza-Kazawaguchi and can say that summer travel can be unpredictable. I had hoped to make it to Omae Station, one station past Manza-kazawaguchi, but heavy rainstorms stopped the Agatsuma line, so not only was I at the latter station for an hour or so without going to Omae, when we got back to Naganoharakusatsuguchi, we were bused to Shiokawa Station and if you are making connections, you hardly have time to shoot between connections. I heard that one of the Seibu lines was also stopped due to a lightning strike that day.

I took the 405 series Resort Kusatsu, which also runs as the Resort Yamadori. The Resort Kusatsu runs from Shinjuku to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and back on weekends, while the Resort Yamadori runs from Takasaki to Manza-Kazawaguchi on Mondays and Fridays. Sorry, but my post earlier was in error, it doesn't have the Japanese style interior.

If you do take weekend only trains like this, then going contra to the regular flow means it may be easier to get a good seat. Going local to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and returning to Shinjuku on the Resort on Saturday or going on the Resort and returning by local on Sunday might be worth considering. On Friday, the Saturday train was full but the View reservation lady got me seat 1A for Sunday. I hadn't thought to ask for a such nice seat, either. If you do take the Resort, try not to sit behind the driver as he often pulls the shade down blocking your forward view. The better seat would be from seat 1C.

If you like to stand in front and take pictures out of the front window, then winter may be a better time as in the summer, you have bug smears.

Best wishes,

Grant

Mich, personally, I would pay extra to go during the cherry blossom season, but that might be because I've never been to Japan, and this never seen the cherry blossoms. I can imagine others would rather the trip be as cheap as possible so they can go to the hobby store(s) and spend the cash there :)

Of course, if the whole thing turns out to be popular, there's no reason not to offer a cherry blossom trip (Sakura Express :)) and a "regular" trip later in the year.

Thank you, thats really valuable feedback. cherry blossom season would absolutely be better but the pricing really does shoot up and we're talking 1.5 times or at some locations double of low season cost. I'll really have to think hard about this one, thanks again.

One thing that might make your tour more attractive is to provide something that you couldn't do going on your own, and that could be a group tour of a train facility. I would say that one of the more local lines and on a weekend might be the best bet. But considering the number of rail fans in Japan, that might be setting a bad precedent as they would be inundated with requests.

I just did another weekend pass trip, one to Aizu-Wakamatsu and the other to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and on to Manza-Kazawaguchi and can say that summer travel can be unpredictable. I had hoped to make it to Omae Station, one station past Manza-kazawaguchi, but heavy rainstorms stopped the Agatsuma line, so not only was I at the latter station for an hour or so without going to Omae, when we got back to Naganoharakusatsuguchi, we were bused to Shiokawa Station and if you are making connections, you hardly have time to shoot between connections. I heard that one of the Seibu lines was also stopped due to a lightning strike that day.

I took the 405 series Resort Kusatsu, which also runs as the Resort Yamadori. The Resort Kusatsu runs from Shinjuku to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and back on weekends, while the Resort Yamadori runs from Takasaki to Manza-Kazawaguchi on Mondays and Fridays. Sorry, but my post earlier was in error, it doesn't have the Japanese style interior.

If you do take weekend only trains like this, then going contra to the regular flow means it may be easier to get a good seat. Going local to Naganoharakusatsuguchi and returning to Shinjuku on the Resort on Saturday or going on the Resort and returning by local on Sunday might be worth considering. On Friday, the Saturday train was full but the View reservation lady got me seat 1A for Sunday. I hadn't thought to ask for a such nice seat, either. If you do take the Resort, try not to sit behind the driver as he often pulls the shade down blocking your forward view. The better seat would be from seat 1C.

If you like to stand in front and take pictures out of the front window, then winter may be a better time as in the summer, you have bug smears.

Best wishes,

Grant

Thanks Grant, weekend pass trip sounds great & really good info there, thanks again. Kusatsu around this time would be beautiful.

I would also think that in addition to the high cost, during any festival time it would be hard to do quality train riding and railfanning with standing room only on trains and jammed platforms.

cheers

jeff

• Like 1