Sydney- new Waratah trains begin operations

bikkuri bahn

Nick_Burman

http://www.rail.co/2011/07/05/delayed-waratah-train-finally-enters-service-in-sydney/

*note interesting runaround track arrangement in the picture.

also interesting is the pedigree of these units, maybe why they were delayed, "a la" 787...

http://www.reliancerail.com.au/Page/Waratah+trains/Delivery/Delivery.aspx

Mark Newton probably will have something to say about these trains, it's his patch of the world...

Cheers NB

• Like 1

The next train is not expected until September, sounds like the first one was pressed into service to make the politicians look good, especially since they were using the event to announce reduced fares as well.

• Like 1

http://www.rail.co/2011/07/05/delayed-waratah-train-finally-enters-service-in-sydney/

*note interesting runaround track arrangement in the picture.

That's number 1 & 2 platforms at Sydney Terminal, although most of the engine escape roads here have the same arrangement. As there are now very few loco-hauled trains using these roads, they are often used to stable EMU sets between jobs, or during shutdowns and/or altered working.

Cheers,

Mark.

Mark Newton probably will have something to say about these trains, it's his patch of the world...

Funnily enough, I have had some involvement with the trials of these trains, and I was offered a secondment to Auburn, where the Waratah's depot is.

Cheers,

Mark.

The next train is not expected until September, sounds like the first one was pressed into service to make the politicians look good...

You're spot on with that comment, Alvin. Although I doubt anything could make our new Transport minister look good...  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Yeah, but I'm rather biased where '01 is concerned!

3347491765_cb904a99c6_z.jpg?zz=1

(Jeez, I had a bit of weight on back then!  :cheesy )

Cheers,

Mark.

The 3801 is certainly a special girl.  I remember seeing her when I was just a little Ghan ... I figured she must be fast because she has three stripes down the sides.  They're called Go Fast stripes, you know!  The more you have the faster you are.  It least that's what I believed until I was about 10, which was a problem for me because I personally prefer the 59 Class locos. One of them was shiny black with a bold red strip.  It was either the 5910 or the 5917 - whichever was doing tourist runs south in the early 1980's.

Gawd, my memory is fading.  I must be getting old.  I might have alzheimers but at least I don't have alzheimers !!!  :grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Thirlmere?

No, the Large Erecting shop at Eveleigh, just before I left in 2004.

do you know anything about it's restoral like planned completion date ??

Yes, it was planned to be back in traffic by the end of this year, but that may not happen now.

Cheers,

Mark.

I personally prefer the 59 Class locos. One of them was shiny black with a bold red strip.  It was either the 5910 or the 5917 - whichever was doing tourist runs south in the early 1980's.

It would have been 5910. 5917 has only recently been put back into traffic.

3348453352_42924ef7ab_z.jpg?zz=1

3695929459_1d08c0070b_z.jpg

3696794694_9d8f0953fb_z.jpg

3347616069_9b2ef0023b_z.jpg?zz=1

I'm rather partial to 59's as well, they're a very easy loco to operate and maintain. We had a loan of 5910 one weekend on the Cockie Run when our regular steam loco failed. We were very reluctant to give it back!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

... We had a loan of 5910 one weekend on the Cockie Run when our regular steam loco failed. We were very reluctant to give it back!  :grin

You should have told them that you lost it!  "Sorry, I left the gate open and she ran off!" ... or something like that!

Tell me, how does she perform against the 38 class?  I've always been told that the 38s were bigger and faster but I think Dad told me the 59s were quicker off the mark over a short distance.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1
You should have told them that you lost it!  "Sorry, I left the gate open and she ran off!" ... or something like that!

LOL! Never thought of that!

Tell me, how does she perform against the 38 class?  I've always been told that the 38s were bigger and faster but I think Dad told me the 59s were quicker off the mark over a short distance.

Yes, they are - their smaller coupled wheels and less tendency to slip makes a lot of difference. But as you know, the 38s were express passenger engines, whereas the 59s were goods engines, although they did find their way onto passenger trains on occasions. The biggest limitation on a 59 on passenger trains these days is an artificial one. Because they have plain bearings as opposed to rollers, they're limited to 80kmh running.

But they'll happily rattle along at 80 all day without any great effort, as they're a very free-steaming and running engine. The only improvement you could make would be to have an oil-burning example. If things had worked out differently we'd have had either 5908 or 5916 as our regular engine, which would have been bloody brilliant. Sad to say, inter-organisational politics & rivalries prevented that from happening.

A 59 is an ideal loco for passenger service on the Illawarra mountain road, as you can easily keep time on the heavily-graded climb out of Unanderra to Summit Tank, and then let her roll across the top to Moss Vale. Needless to say, there were many times when the 80kmh limit was not strictly observed once we left Robertson, but you didn't hear that from me...  :grin

All the best,

Mark.

Mark,

Actually, I DIDN'T know the 59s were originally for freight.  My father is originally from Lithgow.  He said he had ridden on one.  He has nothing to do with railways careerwise and his interest in steam is limited to the services he has used.  I'm going by what he told me 30 years ago or more.

My interest in Australian rail is similar.  I'm a fan of the red rattlers.  I also used to ride the old motor rail that ran south from Sutherland, but I don't remember what it's called.  And I think I've mentioned the silver diesel motor rail to you before.  I must investigate these things more ... time ... time ... time ...

Cheers

The_Ghan

Though I wouldn't like to think of the logistics and red tape involved these days I'd love to see a 59 come to Brisbane, we've had 3801 come up here enough, it'd be great to see something different.

Though I wouldn't like to think of the logistics and red tape involved these days I'd love to see a 59 come to Brisbane, we've had 3801 come up here enough, it'd be great to see something different.

ROFL.  Is that because we've got most of the old QR steam at the Zig-Zag railway?  :grin

Seriously westfalen, I've always liked the 59 Class more than the 3801.  To me she's the the "Miranda Kerr" of NSW steam.

Cheers

The_Ghan

ROFL.  Is that because we've got most of the old QR steam at the Zig-Zag railway?   :grin

Seriously westfalen, I've always liked the 59 Class more than the 3801.  To me she's the the "Miranda Kerr" of NSW steam.

Cheers

The_Ghan

I'd like to see a 59 run side by side with our AC16 from Acacia Ridge into Roma St.

Alvin, re AC16s - I recently spent the weekend firing Zig Zag's AC16 221A for my mate, who was being put through for driving up there. What a mighty engine! I'm a convert, now.  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.