For gmat: footage of WW2 era Oahu railways

bikkuri bahn

Thanks, Bikkuri Bahn. Much appreciated. I know where the shots were taken, but don't recognize them.

During the 70s when driving to Waianae and Makaha, it was still possible to see the trestles and tracks along the highway. The tracks to the Lualualei Ammunition Depot from West Pearl harbor were still in use, I believe. Now most of it's been taken over by the Rail Museum. I tried to look for signs of the tracks when I drove and walked most of the way to Kaena Point from Waianae and also the other way from Haleiwa. I believe it was still possible to see remnants near Haleiwa. I have both of the recent books on railroads in Oahu and Hawaii. When I worked in the long gone Pete's Modelcraft in the Kam Shopping Center in the 70s, a co-worker brought in Hawaii's Sugar Trains. Wish I had picked up a copy then. A manager of the shop also talked about a then new Z scale that also appeared in an article in the Star Bulletin about his shop.

When I lived in Ueda City, Nagano Prefecture, I followed the trail tunnels near the Ueda castle and stumbled on a couple of the station platforms areas near the city. When I asked asked about abandoned rail tunnels going up toward Sugadaira a local teacher gave me a strange look. I also tried to follow the route that went to Maruko town,

Best wishes,

Grant.

bikkuri bahn

Speaking about books, I'm kicking myself for not bidding on a copy of Best's "Railroads of Hawaii" which was offered recently on Yahoo Auctions.  I probably would have been the winner with a 2000 yen bid.  I see copies are selling for $250+ on the net.  I did get a nice copy of Middleton's "Traction Classics Vol. 3" for 2000 yen which details interurban freight and has a good appendix on traction technology circa mid-20th century.

I can't get the second one to play, but good just the same. This is the sort of thing I want to do with my On30 to get away from the Colorado narrow gauge or logging lines everyone does.

kevsmiththai

That was really interesting. Quite a long train and NO CABOOSE, explains why there were so many brakemen riding the roofs I suppose

KEV