Modern Skyscrapers

Guest Bernard

Brian - Nice addition, did you get that from the German model maker who specializes in buildings?

I'm curious how big is it compared to your other buildings, would you mind taking a photo of it next to them?

i have always wanted to play with doing lines on stiff acetate for floors and mullions and then put the reflective window film over it to see if you could get the lines to show through some to give that totally mirrored building face with only minimal lines. on the to do list with a lot of other things...

Jeff - I think it was your suggestion a year ago along this line that inspired me to do something like this! Mostly clear acrylic with scribed windows, like you propose, and backed with relective 'mirror film'.  I've obvioulsy done a bit more to add the 'floors', but the lines do reflect well through the acrylic onto the reflective film.

sony+upshot.JPG

Wow, is that a shot of your model?! if so great work and great photo!

years back i did a lot with acetate working on 3/4" scale exhibit models to make model aquarium tanks look right in photos and also doing things quicker like stanchions for railings, exhibit graphics, window mullions, etc. There were a lot of fun tricks that worked will with the camera, but not as sure how well the would work for a model face like this.

yes i figured that if you scribed the whole wall of windows to get the vert supports then put some horizontal strips of thin styrene between floors.

cant wait till i get some time to do some larger buildings.

cheers

jeff

Quinn - I had to do a double take, is this your model? If it is, it would be one of my favorite building on any layout.

i have always wanted to play with doing lines on stiff acetate for floors and mullions and then put the reflective window film over it to see if you could get the lines to show through some to give that totally mirrored building face with only minimal lines. on the to do list with a lot of other things...

Jeff - I think it was your suggestion a year ago along this line that inspired me to do something like this! Mostly clear acrylic with scribed windows, like you propose, and backed with relective 'mirror film'.  I've obvioulsy done a bit more to add the 'floors', but the lines do reflect well through the acrylic onto the reflective film.

sony+upshot.JPG

Quinn - I had to do a double take, is this your model? If it is, it would be one of my favorite building on any layout.

:grin  Bernard; Yes, it is!  It actually was fairly simple, and relatively inexpensive.  The hardest part was that I really didn't have much of a plan, just sort of 'went for it'!  Jeff had some great suggestions last year about building one on my own, and after looking at the beautiful models on the Yahoo Japans Auctions site I decided to try my hand at doing them myself.

I go into some depth on my process on my blog if you're interested in how I made this building:

http://quinntopia.blogspot.com/2009/12/scratch-building-another-skyscraper.html

Here's another shot, actually, I still had some more touchups to do on it when i took this photo, but it has my other skycraper scratchuild next to it, and this shot shows the 'mirrored window' effect of pretty well:

context.jpg

Quinntopia,

Excellent work! the article was great to show how you did this as well! glad this worked out and now will get you to do a lot more i bet! i think you hit a home run on this one!

did you do the one to the left as well?

cheers

jeff

Jerry, that looks great! :D

I can't wait to learn how to light up buildings. I also would love to learn how you make your transparent signs light up too. That's the cat's Meow! Amazing work my friend.

I finished one of those Mechwarrior N scale buildings I got.

It's a 5 story one. I wanted to see how they'd look if I upgraded it before I started work on the 9 story buildings. So I did some work to it and I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm going to post this on Ebay probably tomorrow. Though I know I'll never get the money that my time deserved. But it was a good learning process on these. What glues to use, what works what doesn't etc.

This is how they came..

4505041026_3c32d86c33.jpg

This is how it turned out...

4504411749_30fcd9e277.jpg

4504412561_49339e0319.jpg

Here's a link to a photo slideshow as to how I put this together....

Much bigger photos too.

I'll post the listing when I get it put up.

Cheers, Bob

Quinn & Bob - Love both of your buildings but are you guys getting paid by "SONY" to make them?  :grin

Bob also thanks for sharing your slide show.

Bob,

hey can we get some more info on the mech woarrier building? is that a kit or all kitbashed?

thanks

jeff

Jeff,

These are from a lot of buildings I bought off ebay. They were built. I think they are made in Europe and are a resin model made in whole.

Here's the lot I got.

4473790159_157666fe87_o.jpg

Here's a couple of taller versions.

4474525490_2526874d89_b.jpg

I'm going to be selling this individual model on ebay later tonight. I've seen a few other ones here and there but they are harder to find.

Scraper,

interesting looks like they made a prototype wall and then cast a bunch. an idea i toyed with a long time back to make some sort of modular floor wall then just hook them together ala the green max type building. sort of gave it up as most buildings could be done with some alternating horizontal and vertical strips on top of plex that either is scored or has a back plate of printed acetate for more window details. still an interesting idea, but would be a lot of casting and that aint cheap or really all that quick and easy unless you did larger wall sections at a time.

i am still toying with the idea of doing a 1 or 2 floor wall section and have it cut on my friends laser cutter. its tough to try to do anything on this as his system is out in California and im in dc! we looked at trying to do some stuff long distance via cad drawings, but was just too hard to test things out. need to make a visit for a couple of days and perhaps get everything worked out first. then i could send him a couple of walls that could just have mass cut which is really simple on his end. the chipboard for he cutter aint cheap either for the good stuff that works well.

lots of ideas just need to get some time to dive into them!

cheers

jeff

Brian - Nice addition, did you get that from the German model maker who specializes in buildings?

I'm curious how big is it compared to your other buildings, would you mind taking a photo of it next to them?

here it is beside a Kato house, it is quit big , but i dont think it is all that out of place or to big, what do you guy`s think ??

domino

Brian

post-164-13569924491833_thumb.jpg