My first N scale shinkansen layout

shadrel

Hi Everyone - I've been reading the forum for about two weeks and want to thank everyone for all the amazing information that's on here. I wanted to get a feel for N scale and unitrack before spending more money, so I bought the 500 series shinkansen starter set (M1) from Kato. I've ordered the Kato 25-011 catalog from Japan (waiting for it to arrive).

I wanted to get feedback on a layout I put together from ideas I found on the web, this will be temporary layout on a ping-pong table. Picture of layout is attached, I calculate it can be constructed with:

1. M1 (which I have)

2. V1 (siding)

3. V11 (double track with superelevated curves)

4. V7 (double crossover)

5. Extra power pack

6. 30 degree curve

7. Kato expansion track

8. Island platform set

I wanted a layout with an uninterrupted double concrete loop with superelevated curves for shinkansen at high speed and also some turnouts for switching fun. This is the best I could come up with - anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Avi

layout.png

Maybe you want to have less curves on a shinkansen layout. A simple oval is sure less interesting, but shinkansen look better on straight lines. :-)

Mudkip Orange

Not bad at all. You might consider putting a station platform at the top between the doubletrack and the singletrack spur line.

Guest JRF-1935

Hi Shadrel (Avi)

Welcome to the forum !

I really like your layout plan, but if you intend to run full 16 car Shinkansens - you will need a few more ping-pong tables :grin

Rich C

Everyone - thanks for your comments.

@brill27mcb - agreed, maybe i can get the wife to buy me the next train and a yard set :)

@Kumo - agreed. i was able to find a 5'x12' flakeboard (particleboard) sheet thats 3' longer than the ping pong table, so will stretch out the straight runs

@Mudkip Orange - read my mind - its where the island platform is going to go.

@JRF-1935 - just running 4 car sets for now, I think i would always like having more trains than more cars

@Martijn Meerts - I've added 3' more for now :)

Mudkip Orange

@Mudkip Orange - read my mind - its where the island platform is going to go.

Awesome. If you get that filler end platform that fits into the R718 you should have enough platform space for an 8-car Shinkansen...

Guest JRF-1935

@JRF-1935 - just running 4 car sets for now, I think i would always like having more trains than more cars

Avi -

Great !  Just have fun! 

Rich C

4 car seems bit short but then again 16 car is a snake LOL

8 cars would be best.... but more trains meens more color

(better atention getter in my view).