British prototype Z developments

kevsmiththai

kevsmiththai

There has never been a lot available for the British Z enthusiast which explains why exhibition layouts are so scarce over here. A firm called Elmar made a valiant attempt too launch it a few years back with a ready to run clas 47 diesel but they eventually folded although you can still pick them up second hand.

Modelling English railways is not impossible however if you are prepared to do some kit building and repainting of RTR stock.

We tour the U.K exhibition circuit with our 'Midsomer Mardy' layout and show some of the items you can get if you know where to look

IMG_4229.jpg

The layout is only 4 ft by 2 ft 6 inches but packs a lot into a small space with three trains running at the same time.

IMG_4232.jpg

The bulk of the motive power is rebodied Marklin mechanisms, principally the BR103 Electric chassis which can be fitted with a resin copy of the Elmar 47 now available from Northampton Model Supplies with a variety of decals or my own class 56 heavy freight Co-Co

Here is a class 47 still under construction hence the lack of glazing in the windows in 'Virgin' Livery

IMG_3868.jpg

A beter idea of them can be seen in this video of the layout at the recent Maryport Model show

kevsmiththai

Amongst the other locomotive kits you can get are a white metal LNER A4 streamlined pacific (Mallard) and an unstreamlined A3 pacific (Flying Scotsman) that fit on the Marklin Bavarian 4-6-2 chassis with the tender supplying the 8 wheel tender base. More modern is the wel known HST 125 power car which fits the BR111 electric chassis. I was still varnishing this pair the night before the show hence the glossy unfinished appearance but you get the idea!

IMG_4236.jpg

More video, this time from last Novembers Workington show shows more adaptions of continental stock

My current plan is to extend the layout to show at this Octobers Zedex 2011 in Oxford when a lot of the U.Ks Zed modellers get together. The layout is going to be a test bed for Z-Bend module interface and I will need a lot more stock as I will be able to run longer trains. Here is work in progress

IMG_3649.jpg

The coaches are 57 foot LMS ones to run behind the A3 and A4 and the modern coaches are the centre ones for the HSTs

Well done layout.

Have you thought of Japanese Z gauge as a source of mechanisms? Probably cheaper than Marklin.

kevsmiththai

I must be honest I keep looking at the D51 2-8-2 and thinking it would convert into the British Railways WD class 2-8-0. 733 of these Austerity locomotives were taken in BR stock after the second world war.

K63-4crop.jpg

The clean lines of the loco would be easy to scratchbuild and the fact that they had Boxpok driving wheels helps as well