The Beginnings of a Desktop Layout

Sir Madog

Just a quick update - the bridge module now looks like this:

d51-498Gklein.jpg

Far from being finished, but a big step ahead.

• Like 8

Just did that - and also added ballast to the track. Can´t take pictures yet, it needs to dry before I touch it again. I also need to add water, but that will have to wait until I get my bottle of E-Z water from WS. Woodland Scenics products are hard to get in my neck of the woods.

disturbman

If it's a mountain stream you don't necessarily need to add water to the river bed. They often are only rocky in the summer.

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

Try mini clamps or use the splined pins to hold the modules together.

When in doubt use a bolt.

"Eizan Electric Rlwy. Series 900 EMU "Kirara" Crosses Takano River"

P1020226klein-1.jpg

The modul is now nearly finished - I am still pondering whether to add water or not. I am modeling April/may period, so there should be water in that river. Work on the next modul will commence on coming weekend.

• Like 3

Martijn,

I might actually do, but that depends on the availability of some materials I need before I can continue working on the next module. It´ll be a tunnel module, which is going to be left of the bridge module.

Still a long way to go until I have an operational layout.

great module though.

IMO i would add water but just a trickle so it looks drying up. that way if you buy a small bottle of realistic water you will have plenty left for any other modules.

disturbman

Great... You really know what you are doing. :)

And, I will say, keep it like that,without any water. At least for the moment, if you really miss its presence you can always add it later. :)

great module though.

IMO i would add water but just a trickle so it looks drying up. that way if you buy a small bottle of realistic water you will have plenty left for any other modules.

That´s exactly what I am intending to do. Thanks for the kudos!

It was a hot and humid day today, so I spent the better part of it in a friend´s basement. The result of that you can see here:

Brcke1klein.jpg

Brcke2klein.jpg

• Like 2

Still sweltering hot outside, but nevertheless I decided to go forward and plant bushes & shrubs to the module:

P1020236klein.jpg

P1020239klein.jpg

P1020240klein.jpg

• Like 6

That looks sweet! Now some weathering (soot on the tunnel entrance, rust, braking sand, etc.), a few long grasses and you're done :)

That looks sweet! Now some weathering (soot on the tunnel entrance, rust, braking sand, etc.), a few long grasses and you're done :)

That´s what´s going to happen in the next days - too hot to do anything today.

You´ll have to bear with me for some time. I have run out of material & funds for this year ... :(

Hobby Dreamer

You've done a GREAT JOB!!

You put a lot of time and effort in and it really shows!!! What's great about this hobby is that you labour at it and then get a great result.. 

Nice to see steam engines as well

Good work!!

cheers

Rick

That tunnel portal looks great. The guardrail at the top, and the way the vegetation has overrun the stone retaining wall are particularly nice touches.

Thanks for all the kudos!

The module still needs a little touch up, like blackening the tunnel portal where soot, cinders and grime from the steam locos have dirtied it, but I have run out of black paint.

Building this module did not take much time - the benchwork is done in 30 minutes, laying the track takes 5 minutes. Ballasting  Kato´s Unitrack is a bit of a tedious job, which took me about 2 hours, excluding drying time.

Adding all hours up, it´s just a nice weekend job.

I was able to do only a few little touch-ups, but the result is rewarding.

Here are a couple of shots I´d like to share:

P1020247klein.jpg

... and my favorite:

P1020246klein.jpg

• Like 3

The tunnel mini-module is now complete - nothing to added, unless I find a figure of a "spray can artist".

P1020253klein.jpg

• Like 10