Brazil HSR: another delay

bikkuri bahn

Nick_Burman

I'm anti-PT (Worker's Party, the party of ex-President Lula and President Roussef), but 100% pro-High Speed (we need it, we deserve it, high time Brazilians stopped with the "it ain't for us" discourse so common), pity the whole process has been so incompetently handled...

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn

Some more tidbits.  Now it seems even the Koreans are getting cold feet, though I'm perplexed that the French and Japanese seem to be back in the fold after expressing qualms previously, or at least according to this (vague) report:

http://www.arirang.co.kr/News/News_View.asp?nseq=117244&code=Ne2&category=2

*Edit: some more info based on comments on the Brazil side:

On Tuesday, ANTT Director Bernardo Figueiredo said four different bidders have stepped forward for the auction. He said none of the bidders, which he declined to name, has asked for an auction delay.

However, Figueiredo reiterated the government's position that no subsidies or minimum traffic guarantees will be offered.

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201106141615dowjonesdjonline000404&title=brazil-regulatorno-request-for-bullet-train-delay

Nick_Burman

BB, Arirang doesn't mention that the Koreans (and the Chinese) wanted the project all by themselves. Now that they'll have to face a bidding process the developed cold feet...

Cheers NB

bikkuri bahn
Arirang doesn't mention that the Koreans (and the Chinese) wanted the project all by themselves

Ah, now I see.  A project like this would require some partnerships in order to spread risk.  I think the Chinese especially would be loath to partner with an outside firm(s).  Quite different from some African country with pliable politicians willing to bend the rules for the yuan, or rather $$$.