Canadians: new retailer for Kato and Unitrack in Calgary

clem24

Just got back from Supertrain 2011 here in Calgary over the weekend. Discovered a new seller for Kato items! The site isn't very well set up yet though:

http://hobbytech.ca/modeltrain.php

They are located here in Calgary and their prices are astonishing considering they're Canadian. Mind you I got "show special" prices on all my items but still. They plan on stocking vast amounts of Unitrack. Give Johnny a call if you need anything. Here's what I paid for the following (all new of course):

Kato Viaduct Station $80 CAD

Kato Viaduct Station Extension $23 CAD

Kato HO "WGH" track plan $155 CAD (list is Y20,000)

Basically paid less than what I would get online, even from eBay or Japan. And best of all, is local! They had lots of Kato buildings and track sets for excellent prices, and also stocked some Shinkansen sets (example, Kato E4 basic set for $120 CAD). I still haven't visited their store yet but I definitely will soon!

A Gold Spike dealer is always good for getting Unitrack.

Don't know why they call it "Gold Nail" on their website though, especially considering 'Spike' is a North American term. Then again I see a big focus on Euro stuff. Did they speak with vaguely German accents?

It looks like a European train focus site.  Too bad they don't post their Unitrack or Kato's offers.  Did they give you an inventory list, Clem24?

A Gold Spike dealer is always good for getting Unitrack.

Don't know why they call it "Gold Nail" on their website though, especially considering 'Spike' is a North American term. Then again I see a big focus on Euro stuff. Did they speak with vaguely German accents?

LOL hmm... Sounded Canadian to me. They do stock a ton of Trix stuff as well. In any case, a very rare type of store given how little interest there is in this kind of stuff. The Unitrack was moving pretty good though. Anyway trying to get the word out only because I am so happy to finally have a retailer of Unitrack in my city! And isn't price gouging either. Before, the closest Unitrack retailer was in Edmonton, and their stock was abysmal, plus the fact that it was way overpriced.

Will probably visit the shop soon as I need some HO switch machines...

It looks like a European train focus site.  Too bad they don't post their Unitrack or Kato's offers.  Did they give you an inventory list, Clem24?

Yeah their site is pretty poorly set up. I have no inventory list, but whatever is in the catalog, they're probably got, maybe except for the newest stuff like Unitram.

Before, the closest Unitrack retailer was in Edmonton, and their stock was abysmal, plus the fact that it was way overpriced.

Are you talking about Roundhouse? If not, who else in Edmonton stocks Unitrack?

Hmm another reason to visit Calgary for me!  Wish VIA Rail goes there.  Whatever happened to the High Speed Rail proposal to Edmonton?

LOL I have no idea. It seems to come and go. I don't even know if I'll actually see it in my lifetime hahaha.

Are you talking about Roundhouse? If not, who else in Edmonton stocks Unitrack?

Alberta Hobby Centre on Yellowhead. They've even got a Unitrack layout with a viaduct station and TGV Thalys running around it. They are actually an authorized Kato dealer but their selection of Unitrack, well, sucked and was marked up pretty good.

Universal Hobbies also had tons of Unitrack, but VERY old stuff, like the older version with the matte look ballast. But I think they've closed down now or moved? Not sure.

There's a little back street store called Roundhouse Sales that have a basic selection of Unitrack at decent prices. I'll have to go down to Alberta Hobby Centre to check out their layout sometime.

There's a little back street store called Roundhouse Sales that have a basic selection of Unitrack at decent prices. I'll have to go down to Alberta Hobby Centre to check out their layout sometime.

Ah I am mistaken... Not Universal Hobbies. It was Roundhouse that had tons of really old stock of Unitrack. I remember they didn't have them on display and were stored in cardboard boxes in the back and the old guy would only bring them down if you asked hahaha. They have some decently priced stuff there but the store itself looks like it would fit perfectly into an episode of "Hoarders".

Ah I am mistaken... Not Universal Hobbies. It was Roundhouse that had tons of really old stock of Unitrack. I remember they didn't have them on display and were stored in cardboard boxes in the back and the old guy would only bring them down if you asked hahaha. They have some decently priced stuff there but the store itself looks like it would fit perfectly into an episode of "Hoarders".

Last time I was there he had a bunch of modern Unitrack, some of it hanging on display, even. He still does have a Kato N3 Viaduct set up on the shelf (http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10003027) the he wants $200+ for...

Nice enough guy though.

Alberta Hobby Centre on Yellowhead. They've even got a Unitrack layout with a viaduct station and TGV Thalys running around it. They are actually an authorized Kato dealer but their selection of Unitrack, well, sucked and was marked up pretty good.

Looks like they're gone. No current phone book entry, and the old number is OOS. =(

Hobby Tech is having a 30% off MSRP on everything sale (minus some Marklin exclusives). I just got back and dropped $250 on a bunch of swag... I bought a whole ton of station area stuff (road plates, accessories, etc...) as well as the Kato Amfleet 3 car "Inner City" set which is 2 Amtubes and a Viewliner for $70. Each piece cost me less than what PlazaJapan or eBay in general is charging, and that's before I even factor in shipping.

As for Japanese items, they had Kato E5 (Basic and Add-on A), 700 4 car basic and 8 car add-on, and the 683-2000 Shirasagi basic 5 car (and maybe a few others, can't remember). Not sure what the E5 was going for and didn't ask, but the Shirasgi set was going for $147 CAD ($157 on HS) and the 700 basic was about $100 even IIRC.

Lots of good prices on Unitrack as well. The V14 set was $70 discounted ($85 on HS). They had lots of Unitrack and buildings in stock.

Anyway just a heads up. I am not sure if this applies to online orders or not but you can always ask.