Kato's annoying super-elevated curves - What to do?

rankodd

Takahama Trainwatcher

Takahama, I recently cut a Kato double superelevated 180 degree curve in half and filed down the cut edge to create a diy single track to fit through a small gap. I know it's wasteful but at least it's possible & I suppose I've still got the other half if I ever need it  :)

Sounds like a reasonable, if not brutal, solution. If only Kato had put a barrier through the middle of the mould and done the job for you. Although all my track is Kato, I will probably get the Tomix superelevated single curves; I'm sure to need a flyover at some point, and the Tomix system for these seems to offer flexibility in applying these as either ground level or elevated tracks.

Super elevated curves to me are a dream come true. What an idea for a model train to be able to go just as fast in a curve as the straits. N gauge is so cool. So many options. I'm learning that Kato & Tomix track is valuable. Gotta get a bunch! Haha.. 

• Like 1

Rankodd,

if you decide you want to use the older non elevated kato double viaduct curves, i do have some of these new here that im not using and could part with at a discount price.

cheers

jeff

Is it confirmed that Kato never made non-superelevated double viaduct in smaller curve sections than 45 degrees? If not then I'd be interested in knowing the part number for a non-super 22.5 degree double viaduct curve, so that I can search for some old ones on ebay.

Actually, can you tell me the part number for your non-super 45 double turns. I'd consider sawing one in half. Fortunately, I don't need these now, but might in future. A non-bank 22.5 would add a lot of versatility in layout design possibilities.

I'd start using Tomix if you want for versatility.  With 15 and 45 degrees curves in concrete and wooden ties, in 5 different radi.  You can do just about anything you want.

I'd start using Tomix if you want for versatility.  With 15 and 45 degrees curves in concrete and wooden ties, in 5 different radi.  You can do just about anything you want.

Interesting. I've been Kato since almost the start. But, the 'superelevated' experience has me doubting. I'll look into Tomix next time I upgrade. 

The bigger challenge will be convincing my wife that I need the other half of the basement as well.

Edited by gavino200

Is it confirmed that Kato never made non-superelevated double viaduct in smaller curve sections than 45 degrees? If not then I'd be interested in knowing the part number for a non-super 22.5 degree double viaduct curve, so that I can search for some old ones on ebay.

Actually, can you tell me the part number for your non-super 45 double turns. I'd consider sawing one in half. Fortunately, I don't need these now, but might in future. A non-bank 22.5 would add a lot of versatility in layout design possibilities.

The part number is 20-541 they are no longer made.

u20-840.jpg

You might be able to find them in the 20-840 kit. I believe that kit has been replaced too but most likely will find them in hobby shops on the back shelf.  

http://www.katousa.com/cgi-bin/dl/dl.pl?dl.mif,Kato_N_Unitrack_Brochure.pdf

Inobu

Edited by inobu

Slow expansion, slow expansion!

Jeff

Slow expansion, SHOW expansion!   :P

Edited by JR 500系

They do pop up on ebay now and then for reasonable prices as well. Might try your LHS or one of the big retailers like Modeltrainstuff.com to see if they are on a back shelf as inobu suggests.

Jeff

• Like 1