My new N scale Japanese Layout

inlander

This is the start of my new layout using the superb Kato Unitrack. Its 240 x 120 ( 8 x 4)

There is a twin main line and two branch lines. The lower branch is for the Tomix Rail buses only.

post-378-13569927660853_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927662819_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927664826_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927692788_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927694471_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927696296_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569927698548_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is going very fast!

It's looking good but one question...on the 1st photo where the Unitrack crosses over with the WS incline, what is the clearance? I can't tell from the angle it was photographed from.

It looks like a 2" riser just before (but maybe it's a 3"?), but since you have both the ballast of the lower track and the viaduct portion hanging under the upper track I think I have the same feeling as you, that there is not enough clearance for a train with the pantograph up using those measurements.

You can see it from the proper angle if you look at the far right side of the 2nd last photo. From that view I'm tempted to think there is enough clearance, but looks can be decieving.

That sure looks like a 2" riser to me.

Two inches is sufficient, but once you add roadbed and subtract the underhang from the viaduct it's going to be very tight.  I'd want an extra quarter-inch for peace of mind if it were my track (having had some problems with my 2" subway tunnel), but it might be okay as it stands.

That sure looks like a 2" riser to me.

Two inches is sufficient, but once you add roadbed and subtract the underhang from the viaduct it's going to be very tight.  I'd want an extra quarter-inch for peace of mind if it were my track (having had some problems with my 2" subway tunnel), but it might be okay as it stands.

Inlander - I would do a test with the trains in your roster to make sure that they can all make this clearance with roadbed and overhang....if everything clears you're fine. On my layout I have 2.5" min. clearance and all my trains are fine except an old Minitrix Steam engine that clears only one tunnel portal (photo)

post-22-13569927709705_thumb.jpg

Is that thing even in N? Looks like narrow gauge...

It's N alright....it's Minitrix 0-6-0 Old Steam Engine with a high fluted smoke stack, that makes it hard for it to go through most tunnel portals.

Claude_Dreyfus

Wow; quick work! In the time it has taken you to do this, I've only managed to get a couple of buildings and start carving the hills!

Mudkip Orange

I don't think this guy is human.

I think he's some sort of layout-building robot sent from the planet vulcan to put the custom-layout-construction guys out of business.

Some more photos - stared running test trains will take some footage in due course. It came together rahter quickly- ive never used Unitrack before- but im a total convert now. It runs like a dream and goes together very quickly. :cool:

post-378-13569928169389_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569928171115_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569928172817_thumb.jpg

post-378-13569928174488_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

nice  :grin

since I'm ever so close to finishing my layout it makes me want to start another immediately.  :grin

i still have 1.4m x 90cm mdf board left over haha.

Question are yoiu going to populate it? or install lights to buildings / stations?

Guest Closed Account 1

Nice video!

Noticed that you used curve to curve S curves near the stations. Need to insert a small straight in between to prevent derails. Train will be faster, too.