Tomix tsubame 800 Rerun

Re running this again. With they'd rerun it with a renewal with updated tooling.

Not that it doesn't run great as it is. Just saying getting a little old

Samurai_Chris

Actually the paint scheme on it has been updated also.. Instead of a strait red line along the cars, they now have a loop effect on each car, and then a wavy kind of effect on the front and rear cars...

Yeah I noticed that but essentially it's exactly the same hardware wise

Just saying coulda had a flywheel  :grin

Just saying coulda had a flywheel  :grin

Wut? The original Tomix 800 release was the first Tomix train set ever to receive a flywheel. It was huge back then! And then IIRC, the 2nd model to receive a flywheel was the Odakyu 50000.

I am almost certain it's a flywheel. Again there was lots of fanfare about it being the first flywheel equipped train set.

Anyway, back on topic, where do you guys see that it's the new scheme (with the looped stripe) and not the old scheme? I am really hoping it's the old scheme because if it's the new scheme, I might have a problem and want to buy it....

lol

buy it anyway. maybe the book doesn't say as it came as the starter set?

anyway if i had my second layout and money i would probably expand it's size get 2 sets

Samurai_Chris

Whats the flywheel? Are you talking about the couplers that have power running through all wheels?

My starter set doesn't have that.

ps: here are two images I found of the new 800...

img_800series.jpg

img01.jpg

• Like 1

Hi!

I think that's only a re-run of the old type (U001-U006), the new 800 trains are a different series 1000 and 2000, and not only the paint scheme has been changed.

U007 and U009 (1000 series) have the new stripe scheme with "wave" at the nose and the "stripe loop" on the cars, one window has been closed on car 5, the front light lens is different, more rounded at the end near the nose and not a continuous surface, U008 (2000 series) have the same mechanical modification of 1000 series but with the "wave" stripe scheme extended on all the cars.

Inside Train Modeling Manual book vol.6 you can find the scheme of "how to" modify one Tomix or Kato 800 to 1000 series.

Ciao

Massimo

Whats the flywheel? Are you talking about the couplers that have power running through all wheels?

A flywheel is a component inside a model train. In simplest terms it's a circular weight (roughly wheel shaped) attached to the motor shaft. If you look inside most Kato, Atlas or modern Tomix locomotives or EMUs you'll see the motor and then on both sides of the motor is a big brass colored block of metal, which is the flywheel.

The purpose of a flywheel is to make the train run smooth by conserving inertia. It means a certain amount of energy is required to get the wheel turning (making starts smoother instead of jumpy), and it helps keep the train moving at a constant speed instead of jerking or stalling whenever it passes over dirty track - the inertial energy of the flywheel keeps the shaft turning even if the power is cut. This also leads to smoother stops. Modern Japanese locomotives seem to have very big flywheels, so even if you cut power they more glide to a stop instead of just freezing instantly.

this just got pushed back till october.

I ordered the addon set to have the case to put my 3 car set in. alot of stuff is being postponed lately :(

I'm trying to stretch the ends, but they just don't meet.  The 800 series has to go on the list for 2012.  :sad:

Cheers

The_Ghan