Tanker train on the Ban-etsu West Line- "topped and tailed"

bikkuri bahn

bikkuri bahn

As part of the earthquake/tsunami relief efforts, JR Freight ran a freight train of takis from Yokohama bound for Koriyama over the normally passenger-only Banetsu Sai Line on the 26th.  This was the first time a freight has run on this line in 6 years 4 months, since the Niigata earthquake.  Due to the grades and the tonnage of this train, doubleheaded dd51's and a de10 pusher were required on a portion of the route.  It is rare to hear a de10 working this hard, as they are usually relegated to mundane yard shunting work.

another view, in a snowstorm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVQQPG9v4mA

w/o the de10, note the signboard:

• Like 3

Nothing short of cool... I imagine there were non-electrified sections or too much AC/DC swapping to prevent the use of electric locos? Then again, their destination may not even have power.

Interesting that they start from stand-still in the first video on what looks like a nasty grade. I can see something on the side of the track, but it doesn't look like a signal. Did the DD51s fail to climb the hill and were relieved by the DE10 on the rear?

CaptOblivious

The DE10 must have been a banker; I'm guessing that a pair of DD51's can readily handle 10 TAKIs otherwise…

"w/o the de10, note the signboard:" I'd like to see a close up of that and what it says, the Japanese do everything with a bit of class.

I don't think I've ever heard a DE10 with the throttle wide open. The diesels may have been a good choice of motive power as local crews may have been familiar with them from work trains, power supply may also be still a bit hit and miss in some areas.

• Like 1

There was some discussion of this on another forum. Based on my own experience, I think it would be easier and quicker for the local crews to qualify or requalify on the traction, than for foreign depot crews to learn the road or have to run with a pilot.

That DE10 is really motoring!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

There was some discussion of this on another forum. Based on my own experience, I think it would be easier and quicker for the local crews to qualify or requalify on the traction, than for foreign depot crews to learn the road or have to run with a pilot.

I've read about qualifying on equipment and lines before, in the context of US railways.  Is this concept pretty much worldwide?

I would say so. Certainly it is the case with any railway I've had experience with. When you get on an unfamiliar loco or car, you need to know how it works and handles, if it has any quirks, and some basic "faults and failures" - troubleshooting in other words.

Likewise, if you're on an unfamilar line, you need to know the grades, curves, speed boards/restrictions, signal locations and indications, power and shut-off points, platform stopping marks, points of no return, local safeworking procedures and arrangements, and so on.

It also helps if you know where the mealrooms, hot-water urns and toilets are! :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

Nick_Burman

I would say so. Certainly it is the case with any railway I've had experience with. When you get on an unfamiliar loco or car, you need to know how it works and handles, if it has any quirks, and some basic "faults and failures" - troubleshooting in other words.

Likewise, if you're on an unfamilar line, you need to know the grades, curves, speed boards/restrictions, signal locations and indications, power and shut-off points, platform stopping marks, points of no return, local safeworking procedures and arrangements, and so on.

It also helps if you know where the mealrooms, hot-water urns and toilets are! :cheesy

Cheers,

Mark.

I wouldn't be surprised if the crew was composed of JRF men with a JR East pilotman with maintenance train experience (especially handling CWR trains) giving orders. It would be much simpler than having JRF crews remember the line (one which they haven't "trod" for over six years now).

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

That DE10 on that train was making nearly as much noise as my TOMIX DE10 makes.

Cool, free sound system installed! :grin now you need a string of TaKis for it to pull...

Cheers NB

That DE10 is really motoring!  :grin

Cheers,

Mark.

Of course it all depends on how long you are allowed to go in Japan before you are considered no longer qualified. It used to be here that once you were qualified on something it was for life, I recall steam tours in the 80's with crews being rostered on at far flung country depots that wouldn't have been on steam for 15 years. Perhaps it is still like that in Japan, if you drove a DD51 on freight back in the 80's you're still considered qualified on them.