Plans for my Double Decker Subway/Ground level table

SubwayHypes

before i go out and buy the wood for the table i laid out my track to get a rough idea of what it might look like.  i dont have enough track, (kato v11 on the way) so please just your imagination of where the track is going.  NEON GREEN is upper level track, RED is the subway/underground level. 

upperlevel__________________________________________________

[]                                                                            []

Subway level

-----> of course there will be table legs too.  the upper level will be your standard tracks, buildings, streets, cars,etc.  the under ground level im gonna put little supports, maybe some darkpainted walls to make it look more tunnel-like, and definately some minigraffiti to make it look dark and scary underneath.

subwayplans1.jpg

THE TAN COLORING IS THE UPPER LEVEL

subwayplans3.jpg

you get the idea?

heres pictures without the coloring

subwayplans2.jpg

november08096.jpg

subwayplansunaltered.jpg

its gonna be so cool, the trains will pull up to the station, then dissapear underground and reappear on the opposite side a minute later.  i can also store trains underneath and bring out different ones to the station every time, more realistic.  im envisioning an underground train yard as well. 

construction will start shortly, still gotta buy the wood and im kinda busy over the holidays. 

CaptOblivious

I've always liked the idea of hidden staging yards where you can invisibly change out the trains running. When I have space for a large layout, I'm going to have quite a lot of that going on. Your E321 runs around a couple of times, disappears into the tunnel...and out pops the Tozai Line 03 series. Whee! Maybe more fun for the observer who doesn't know about the yard, but still.

Some thoughts: You will want to be able to gain access to everything in the subterranean level, in the case of an accident, and with a yard down there, with lots of turnouts...just expect it to happen :D  As you plan, think about how you will do this: perhaps sections of the city will lift away, revealing the yard underneath; windows at the sides to allow you be able to reach in and grab something; perhaps open access points so you can reach in from below (sounds awkward though).

More thoughts: You will need some way of keeping track of what's where in your hidden yard. The simplest way is to keep written notes, or have a card filing system, with a pocket for each track and a card for each train. More interesting ways involve detection systems, or even (expensive fun!) DCC with transponding (Digitrax) or BiDi (Lenz) and a computer to help you keep track of things. You will want to construct a fairly sophisticated route selection system, so you don't have to remember the exact pattern of switches to switch to activate a given track; you can do this with DCC and a computer or a Digitrax DS54, or you can construct a diode-matrix device (see here: http://www.google.com/search?q=diode+matrix+twin+solenoid ).

Anyway, looks like a great start!

^wow true i totally forgot what a pain in the ass it is to reset all my freight cars. 

i will probably limit the yard to 3 tracks deep, and keep them as close to the edges as possible.  if derailments happen, i collect all the cars and reset them on the top.

good looking out.

i cant wait to start building but i have other projects i have to build right now, gotta build a table for my office and im also busy with work and school.

Subway - Nice start! It is a good idea to have trains "magically" appear out of nowhere to surprise the viewer. As a matter of fact one suggestion on my layout was to put trees is one area to hide the train from view.

Capt's is right about access, trains will derail and also check clearance when going underground. On my layout I have a large flat mountain which hides 6 main lines. The whole top comes off for access for derailments. Here are some photos of what I'm describing:

1st Photo is inside the mountain w/top off

2nd Photo with the top back on from a distance

3rd Photo with the being stages of scenery

post-22-13569922042883_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922043492_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922043814_thumb.jpg

^^wow thats cool bernard, a breakaway mountain that reveals all the tunnels inside.

what did you use for track supports in the first picture??  looks like dowels or sticks?  im on a budget so i would rather not buy the kato incline set and just use something i can find at home depot or around the house.

CaptOblivious

My guess is that the structures in Bernard's photo are the Woodland Scenics Subterrain inclines and risers (which are white styrofoam), that have been painted black (or at least had something black applied) along the edges. Not the cheapest route ever, but your project, SubwayHypes, probably would only need two of the 4% sets, which would be, oh, $30-ish? They are delightfully easy to work with, and I recommend them. However, being rather unsightly on their own, they would not work for elevated viaduct track: only for track atop an enbankment (or at grade).

Subway - Capt is right for most of it. I used WS 2% incline set but instead of using the WS riser sets, I used leftover green foam to make the level elevated areas, which you can see in the 2nd photo. Whenever I had a track passing over another, I used black foam poster board for a hidden bridge. You can see this in both photos. I then airbrushed the inside of the tunnels black to give it that dark appearance when the train enters or leaves the mountain. Any exposed WS inclines I covered with hydrocal cloth to hide the ribs of the inclines. The WS inclines are not the cheapest way to go but they will save you lots of time (and possible frustration when trying to figure out the % of a grade and how long it should stretch) 

If I could have, I would have put Altas re-railing tracks inside the mountain to help prevent derailments, but all the track inside the mountain is curved and Atlas re-railers are straight.

post-22-13569922044055_thumb.jpg

post-22-13569922068779_thumb.jpg