Japan - Rainbow Ten

bill937ca

I did a pretty big order through their cart, and it was easy enough. What I found myself doing though, was shopping on HS with all the pretty pictures, and then searching the part numbers and buying on Rainbow 10.

angusmclean

I did a pretty big order through their cart, and it was easy enough. What I found myself doing though, was shopping on HS with all the pretty pictures, and then searching the part numbers and buying on Rainbow 10.

Yup. Common procedure I believe :)  Worked for me for some years.

Angus

I got my first order from them. To test them out and try and build up my steam era freight roster I ordered three Kawai freight cars sets that were long out of production and sold out at HS but still listed in Rainbow Ten's inventory. They replied by email that of the three sets I ordered only one was in stock (3 pack of Semu 6000 hoppers) as they had made an error in updating their stock list and they had contacted their supplier and Kawai but the other two were unavailable. I sent an email back asking if they had 3 Semu 6000 sets I would take 3 of those otherwise just to send one to which they apologetically replied that they only had one but they would send it, which they did. They'll add a bit of variety to my Micro-Ace Serra 6000 sets when they turn up.

I was happy with the ease of ordering and level of service I received and I notice the out of stock items including the last Semu 6000 set, which I now have in my possession, as well as a few other older Kawai sets have been removed from the inventory list.

Rainbow Ten is a very solid shop. I use to do most all my preordering with them before HW started the 26% off on a lot of their pre-orders. they are also good at ordering things you may want that might be in stock with suppliers but not listed on HW or HS or ordering a larger quantity of something. Nice folks.

I just re pre ordered the Hiroshima green mover (i hope) with them. tempted to pick up a few things on the want list and try out the new checkout!

cheers

jeff

no no word at all, i was hoping they would email if they could not take the pre order.

did you get a payment notice? in the past on pre orders they did not charge the cc until things were in and ready to ship.

they usually did a minimum of communications though.

jeff

Hi Jeff,

The only e-mail response that I got was...

You have successfully placed an order as shown below. We will contact you soon. (this was date Apr. 1)

Shipping Terms & Conditions:

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/terms_and_conditions.htm

Best Regards,

RAINBOW TEN (Mail order team)

Since I also ordered the silver Centram, I would expect I have to pay that first.  Maybe they know to combined ship?

When I placed my order there was a machine confirmation and a payment/shipping confirmation.  The whole process took less than 10 hours.

bill you did yours as an instock order though, not a pre-order, correct?

they dont seem to be showing anything in the trains for pre-order thru the shopping cart system. i just did a order with only a pre order request in the comment area. have gotten no reply on it. has anyone else done a pre order with their new system like this and gotten a reply? i use to just do all the pre orders thru email and always got a reply they got it.

jeff

bill you did yours as an instock order though, not a pre-order, correct?

Yes, it was in stock.  But the whole process was very fast and minimalist.

Hi Jeff,

The only e-mail response that I got was...

You have successfully placed an order as shown below. We will contact you soon. (this was date Apr. 1)

Shipping Terms & Conditions:

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/terms_and_conditions.htm

Best Regards,

RAINBOW TEN (Mail order team)

Since I also ordered the silver Centram, I would expect I have to pay that first.  Maybe they know to combined ship?

Leo, Rainbow Ten usually seems to have a pretty good stock of Modemo trams.  I think you will be OK.

It took them several days to send me a payment request for my order, but it was a pretty big one. If you haven't heard anything in 2 weeks you should probably attempt to contact them.

i bought some tomic ballast as hs didn't have any...

got 3 pack for 900 yen shipping or something.

I got the payment request within 6 hours and i paid immediately following day got the shipping notification.

was very pleased with this as hs is slower then a snail lately.

last 2 orders from hs took 4 + days to ship items after paying for them

I just got my response for the lack of payment confirmation yesterday night.

Dear customer,

Thank you for your E-mail.

Your order has surely been received already, please note the item NT123 is still not released from Hasegawa. It's scheduled in late April. Please wait till it comes out.

Rainbow Ten

(Your E-mail was replied by Mr.Nao :Information desk)

Can't wait  :grin

A concern I have is with the accuracy of the text only listings. A lot of them are short on details, and on a number I've seen what seem to be typos and errors - but I am willing to drop $300 only to be shipped the wrong thing? As an example I would like to track down Kato's out of production 209-500 sets (Keihin-Tohoku and Sobu, both are DCC ready). HS has the 4-car Sobu addon set (10-297) but not the basic 6-car set.

A search for 10-296 (the correct number for the basic set) on Rainbow Ten brings up this:

[tt]4021601810297 KATO 5520 YEN(was 6900 YEN) 10-296 205-500 SERIES SOBU LINE COLOR ADD-ON 4 CAR SET [/tt]

Price wise that's definitely a 4-car add-on and not the basic set (searching for the add-on, 10-297, gets nothing). To make matters worse it is described as a "205-500 SERIES SOBU LINE" - a train that never existed. The only 205s to run on the Sobu line where 205-0 Chuo-Sobu trains. Kato did make a model of that, but it was a 10 car set (one big set, no add ons).

Has anyone had any experience getting correct descriptions through email?

harukablue

I used to buy from them over ten years ago and I have always had perfect service,,,the only problem  if you can call it a problem was for example I would order some items on Jan 1st, recieve them Jan 15th and they would appear on my credit card bill March!

yes preorder is a whole section buy itself like trains and models, not a subcategory under a section unfortunately... New items category has subcategories for trains, models, etc so maybe they will do this with pre-orders eventually.

it doesnt look like they have gotten to trains yet for the preorder. i have put in two preorders with rainbowten in the last couple of months by just submitting an order with the details in the notes field. i got order confirmation emails the next day on each so i assume they are good. i use to do a lot of preording with them before hobbyworld started to put up preorders. i would just email them what i wanted and they would send it along when it came out! a week or so i put in a small order of misc things just to try out the new shopping cart/ordering process, should be here next week.

cheers

jeff

A note from the front page of Rainbow Ten.

Japan post has started Registered delivery service for SAL/AIRMAIL/SURFACE

For SAL, AIR and Surface mail can now be upgraded to a registered delivery with only 410yen additional fee.

Registered mail can be tracked on the web, also covers delivery loss, maximum 6000yen in accordance with the shipping declared value on the label. If you would like a web-trackable delivery but are not in so much hurry to use EMS, this registered delivery service will be your perfect choice.

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/index.html

• Like 2