Jump to content
Japanese Modelling & Japan Rail Enthusiasts Forum

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, kvp said:

Not really. First, you need an SX type of power pack either 12V (N) or 16V (H0) size. Then you plug this into the new bluetooth controller, that is the same size as the new Kato external power adapter. This also powers the sound box with the right voltage for your scale (either 12V or 16V).

 

Parts list:

-SX power pack

-bluetooth controller and power adapter

-sound box

 

As the bluetooth controller could control the sound from the application, this means it's (in theory) possible to add remote controllable turnout switches too, stacking them between the bluetooth receiver and the sound box. How this control happens is not known to me but either by a sideband channel over the PWM signal or the bluetooth controller just switches to digital data output when a sound box is detected.

 

I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, the kato site says it is a stand alone throttle.  It does say you need to buy the wall wart AC/DC 110/12v power supply separately (Kato 22-082), although you could instead use the one that comes with the S or SX, or supply your own.  I'll be interested in seeing how it interacts with the sound box, sounds like Kato was planing ahead if they made it with digital input capability. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I'm pretty sure you are incorrect, the kato site says it is a stand alone throttle.  It does say you need to buy the wall wart AC/DC 110/12v power supply separately (Kato 22-082), although you could instead use the one that comes with the S or SX, or supply your own.  I'll be interested in seeing how it interacts with the sound box, sounds like Kato was planing ahead if they made it with digital input capability. 


I own the SX. The wallplug is a separate purchase. It is different from the S wallplug and the manual says the two are not interchangeable. The separate wall plug is universal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

I own the SX. The wallplug is a separate purchase. It is different from the S wallplug and the manual says the two are not interchangeable. The separate wall plug is universal.

 

 

Interesting, as they are both outputting DC there shouldn't be a difference, once I get one I'll have to compare them under the oscilloscope to see if this is just a marketing tactic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

 

Interesting, as they are both outputting DC there shouldn't be a difference, once I get one I'll have to compare them under the oscilloscope to see if this is just a marketing tactic. 

The new throttles have AC adapters. The sound unit needs DC, which it can get from either a DC adapter or the accessory port which is DC. The full bridge is in the throttle unit that is housed in the same box as the new accessory adapter.

 

Essentially Kato has added a BT receiver and H bridge driver into the power adapter box to create the new throttle.

 

ps: AC packs are needed for full high voltage side isolation, allowing two throttles to run common rail or get shorted without danger when they are on different high voltage phases...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kvp said:

The new throttles have AC adapters. The sound unit needs DC, which it can get from either a DC adapter or the accessory port which is DC. The full bridge is in the throttle unit that is housed in the same box as the new accessory adapter.

 

Essentially Kato has added a BT receiver and H bridge driver into the power adapter box to create the new throttle.

 

ps: AC packs are needed for full high voltage side isolation, allowing two throttles to run common rail or get shorted without danger when they are on different high voltage phases...

 

I think you are mistaken, as the documentation for the power supply says the output is 13 volt DC.  I doubt kato would be wrong about such a simple thing.

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10501352/10/1

Edited by cteno4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yes, it is DC. That means it could be a switching mode supply, which could be dangerous if not run from the same power strip.

 

Still, the sound box could be powered through the accessory port which in case of a DC pack should be just passed through the throttle.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10530450

Btw, on the image, the throttle seems to be connected to the comm port on the sound box and not the jump throttle input. At least i think this is what the image shows. This would explain how the full control could work.

 

Edited by cteno4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WOOOOOOOO!  I am very excited for this release!  I know what my birthday gift will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
If you're wetting yourself over that god forbid what you will be doing when they release an SL Hitoyoshi set .


It won’t be anything like what I will do when they release SL Ginga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

 

If you're wetting yourself over that god forbid what you will be doing when they release an SL Hitoyoshi set 😝 .

I'm getting excited just you mentioning it. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are product information in English for newly announced KATO product as usual.

NewModelInformation2018.4-001.jpg

NewModelInformation2018.4-002.jpg

NewModelInformation2018.4-003.jpg

NewModelInformation2018.4-004.jpg

NewModelInformation2018.4-005.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you Mr. Takayama for sharing these posters. What is a noise canceler which is mentioned for the Bluetooth controller?

 

EDIT: Apparently a noise canceler is necessary to run european trains on layouts with soundbox

Edited by Yavianice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×