Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I think all of the new Kato models are body-mount, the only ones with bogie mount were the ones which were reprints or based on an older model as far as I know.

Add to that the newer Kato Shibata coupler without the hook and there's barely any difference to Tomix anymore.

Edited by Gryphr
13 hours ago, Suica said:

Kato E235

Yes, yes, yes! - said my heart.

Oh no! - said my wallet.

You will be unemployed at that time. - said my wife.

Reserve! - clicked my finger.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7
5 hours ago, Suica said:

The old E231 set came with body mounted couplers. I don't see why they would step down from that for such a model?

There would be two (or three) choices for Kato. Either use the old shibatas (seen on the e231), the new shibatas (or the old bogie mounted ones). There is a big difference between the first two and maybe we can assume that the newer type shibata couplers will be used, that Kato introduced somewhere around the KuMoHa12 series (imho it was 2 years ago).

Product Description from HS:

[Product introduction]
- We will commercialize the new E235 series of new Tokyo's face and Yamanote line which is the signboard route of JR East.
- The E235 series which began to be active as a new generation commuter train with a large front window, a display device, and a distinctive appearance design attracted a great deal of attention from the world.
- We plan to replace all existing E231 series 500 series by the spring of 2020 (2020) where the Tokyo Olympic Games will be held, and it is also expected to be an active part of future activities as a new standard for JR East's commuter train.

- It is the appearance of a new type of Yamanote line vehicle.
- Prepared with packages of best selections that are easy to purchase, from beginners to veteran users, feel free to enjoy it for many people.
- It is one of enjoyment to recreate the collaboration with the E231 series 500 series right now in the transition period with N gauge.

[Product features]
- Toe 03 organization which began operation from May, 2017 (2017) is a prototype.
- A distinctive front part, a newly mounted AU 737 cooler, a pantograph, precisely reproduce a form different from a mass production precedent vehicle such as a roof equipment.
- Reflects precisely the delicate gradation of the yellowish green color of the line color colored in the front and the door part.
- Driving platform see-through, pursue a more realistic front.
- Saha E235-4600 series diverted from E231 series 500 series is recorded. For diversion, an antenna pedestal has been added, and the air conditioner is aligned with other E235 series.
- Head / tail light, front display, luck number display lit. Adopted white LED. The headlight reproduces the state that looks white even when it is off.
- Front / side display is printed [0913 G] [Yamanote Line]. Replacement front display [Shinagawa · Tokyo direction] [Ikebukuro · Ueno direction] is included.
- All cars Ismark, stroller mark, emergency door cock notation printed already.
- Power is equipped with a power unit with a well-established flywheel.
- The coupler adopts a body mount compact coupler (new type).
- DCC friendly correspondence.
- Storing the basic set of vehicles in the books case of the extension set A is possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, katoftw said:

Could be tempted on the DD51-800 in newer JRF colours.

Me too. I know Tomix have done one but they are pain to fit with DCC.

Now if only Kato would do the DE10 in JRF colours.

2 hours ago, westfalen said:

Waiting for this as well.

Also happy to see the Imperial consist, but I'm not sure what the difference is between 10-418 and 10-853 is; possibly the bogies.  Was just about to start looking on auctions for 10-853, but it looks like if 10-418 is almost the same, then I won't have to.

20 minutes ago, VJM said:

Waiting for this as well.

Also happy to see the Imperial consist, but I'm not sure what the difference is between 10-418 and 10-853 is; possibly the bogies.  Was just about to start looking on auctions for 10-853, but it looks like if 10-418 is almost the same, then I won't have to.

I was wondering the same, as I'd prefer a show era versions.  I cant find any difference other than the bogies, so I'll probably go ahead and get the new release.

1 minute ago, katoftw said:

I can see quite a few differences.

We're talking about the train, which one set is marked showa era but the only difference mentioned is the trucks.  Those locomotives are two different prototypes, one is the main engine and the other was the backup IIRC.

On 12/8/2017 at 1:43 PM, westfalen said:

Me too. I know Tomix have done one but they are pain to fit with DCC.

True true.  They did the DE10 in JRF colours in HO.  So no idea why a N scale version hasn't come up yet.  Also if DD51 is now done, that could be a sign of things to come.  Cross fingers...

As usual.  Got English version of new product information from KATO.  Also they gave me English version introduction for Shiki-shima.  Please feel free to distribute around.

Trainsuite-001.jpg

TrainsuiteDetail-001.jpg

TrainsuiteDetail-002.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.12-003.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.12-004.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.12-001.jpg

NewModelInformation2017.12-002.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Das Steinkopf
On 13 December 2017 at 9:22 PM, katoftw said:

True true.  They did the DE10 in JRF colours in HO.  So no idea why a N scale version hasn't come up yet.  Also if DD51 is now done, that could be a sign of things to come.  Cross fingers...

I think they have left it a bit late as Tomix has really got the jump on them there with that, all of my JRF Diesels are Tomix with two DD51-800's, a DE10-1500 Cold Region in JRF Renewal Livery, a DE10-1500 Warm Region in original JRF livery and a DE10-1000 Warm Region in JRF Renewal Livery, the only way I would get a Kato diesel is if they brought out a DF200-200 or a DD200 before Tomix does.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Isn’t it already the 20th in Japan, are people lining up at Hobby Shops to get their hands on the Kato Train Suite. I’m pretty excited about it, anxiously waiting for an invoice from Nariichi. 😀

Wow, it does look amazing. I like how they went away from the light gray foam inserts and used a darker one to really showcase the gold tone finish.

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 1

Really amazing box and cover... this takes the top spot of the nicest box in my collection, winning over the Eva 500!

That cream color and pamphlet... I am glad I got this! Wonder how Tomix is going to match this ...