Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

58 minutes ago, Gordon Werner said:

KATO is re-releasing their Eizan 900 series trains w/the Keihan Eizan Railway logo on them according to this:

(bottom right corner)

Cool, thanks for the info! In the past one year I was always thinking about how to get one on normal price. Now issue solved, I will preorder one of them, or maybe both.

• Like 1

I can only hear my wallet screaming for this poster.....  no.....  

E231-500 Sobu line color! Finally!

381 series Yutsunari Yakumo! Lovely livery, and finally a really decent 381 series!

Eizan 900 Kirara! I was stupid enough to sold this one off, but now I have a chance to get it again!

Ouch Ouch Ouch indeed.... 

By the way, here's the other releases poster:

http://www.katomodels.com/product/poster/files/2018_1a.pdf

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Thanks for sharing Gordon, although I think you messed up the first link, as both link to page B.  On page A  kato finally announces the C57 release I've been waiting for all of this year.  And I was just thinking I wanted some more suha 32s too, glad they decided to offer them outside of the chuo line set.  Anyone know what the train with 3 C57s but only 6 passenger cars is?  Seems to be a little over powered.  

36 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

By the way, here's the other releases poster:

OOOOHOHO~ Tōkyū Den'entoshi line 5000 Series! I am tempted. Very much tempted. It's one of the most comfortable trains to ride on the line (next to the Tokyo Metro trains). Not sure if I'd like a full 10-car set though, but... Hmm... I'll consider this one!

10 minutes ago, Kabutoni said:

OOOOHOHO~ Tōkyū Den'entoshi line 5000 Series! I am tempted. Very much tempted. It's one of the most comfortable trains to ride on the line (next to the Tokyo Metro trains). Not sure if I'd like a full 10-car set though, but... Hmm... I'll consider this one!

Don't hesitate Ton san! A 10-car limited edition Kato set always seems to be popular, and often prices go up when they are off the market!  :)

If you like it, grab it! (It's due next year anyhow so it should be considered under next year's budget wahahaha)

I'm thinking hard about the Kirara... which color to get... or both... but ouch it's gonna be expensive start of year next year as I really want the 381 Yakumo and the full 10-car E231-500 Sobu line...

Above that, I have already committed to Greenmax's 813 series which is also due Jan 2018....

9 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Don't hesitate Ton san! A 10-car limited edition Kato set always seems to be popular, and often prices go up when they are off the market!  :)

If you like it, grab it! (It's due next year anyhow so it should be considered under next year's budget wahahaha)

True, but knowing Kato, they will also release a basic and add-on set afterwards as well. At the moment I only have a 6-car Tōbu 50050 Series to match this one, but because this is one of my most used lines (I think I use it even more often than our local Odakyō Odawara line), I'm thinking of upgrading the 50050 to 10-cars, as well as replacing the motor with a coreless one... Agh, the decisions... xD

Next to that, I'm eyeballing the Tōbu 350 that will be released by MicroAce somewhere this year as well...

3 minutes ago, Kabutoni said:

True, but knowing Kato, they will also release a basic and add-on set afterwards as well. At the moment I only have a 6-car Tōbu 50050 Series to match this one, but because this is one of my most used lines (I think I use it even more often than our local Odakyō Odawara line), I'm thinking of upgrading the 50050 to 10-cars, as well as replacing the motor with a coreless one... Agh, the decisions... xD

Next to that, I'm eyeballing the Tōbu 350 that will be released by MicroAce somewhere this year as well...

I need to learn to be more disciplined like you... I am running all over Japan islands now... told myself NOT to start Shikoku and now...

3 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

I need to learn to be more disciplined like you... I am running all over Japan islands now... told myself NOT to start Shikoku and now...

Having very limited financial resources helps... xD

Also, I'm all over the place. Sōtetsu, Tōbu, possibly JNR Tohoku AC stuff... Not to mention my chaotic collection of short trains... I'm slowly getting rid of my Keisei stuff though.

53 minutes ago, splifdfx said:

A 381 Yakumo ! This is unexpected but oh so very welcome.

Could someone please translate the infos about this set ?

From HS:

- We will commercialize 381 series [relaxing comfort] that will continue to be active as a regular train by Hakuji line.
- Okayama and Shimane prefecture Izumo-shi, which has the role of Yin Yang liaison, is currently operated in 381 series.
- On the other line, while the selection of the National Express Train Express has progressed, renewal inside and outside the car was carried out from 2006 (2006) to Heisei 22 (2010).

- The 381 series to be commercialized this time [relaxingly] is a knitting in which the characteristic 380 of the panorama green car at the head and the Moha 380 200 which is different on the roof and window division with other cars are connected with each other.
- It is commercialization in the form of active person who recreated the difference of detailed details such as removing side Sabotage, embedding side emergency exit, plate numbering of car number and so on accompanying renewal.
- From the quarterly four-car formation, you can reproduce up to 6 carving arrangements seen on soil holidays, etc. You can enjoy it with your favorite organization.

[Product Features]
- A prototype is a panorama formation including Kuro 380 belonging to Goto vehicular place.
- The sabotage of the car and type display is removed, and the appearance that emergency exit and some inspection lid are embedded is reproduced. The plate type vehicle number is reproduced by printing.
- Kuro 380 reproduces a characteristic car body shape including a large window at the beginning. The nickname display lit between the headlights. In addition, the nickname display has already printed [L Yakumo].
- Moha 380 200 series has a smoking space installed, reproducing features different from other vehicles such as on the roof with window split and ventilator added.
- Kuha 381 100 reproduces the appearance of the whistle on the roof was removed.
- When entering the curve as well as the actual car, the car body tilts toward the inside of the curve, equipped with KATO's own car body pendulum mechanism.
- Pantograph creates new one of horn type that can be seen in recent western Japan direct train.
- Dummy coupler with cover (with cover) is equipped with the head of the leading car. Adopted a coupler of a body mount contoured type (no hook) in the middle part.
- The nickname display contains [Yakumo].
- Chrome 380 is light brown in the molding color, and other vehicles are set in brown. The driver's seat of Kuha 381 is also reproduced in light green.
- Kuha 381, the logo mark of [relaxation] seen on both sides of Moha 380 is reproduced.
- Side Destination Indication Seal included. Destination: [Okayama] [Izumo-shi] Seating display is car No. 1: [green car (green mark)], cars 2 to 4: [designated], cars 5 and 6: [freedom]

[Organization Example]
- Series 381 [Loose fitness]
← Izumo-shi Okayama →
Moha 381 - 68 + (No. 5 car) Moha 381 - 68 (M) + (No. 6 car) Kuha 381 (No.2 car) Moha 380-74 + (No. 3 car) -142

- quiet period
(No. 1 car) Cross 380 - 7 + (No. 2 car) Moha 380 - 268 + (No. 3 car) Moha 381 - 68 (M) + (No. 4 car) Kuha 381 - 142

• Like 1

A good start to 2018 with the release of the C57 from Kato. C57 33, 45 and 97 were withdrawn in the late 1960s while C57 95 was transferred to Kyushu and appears to have lasted until the early 1970s. 

So it will be a companion for the two earlier Kato C57 releases that were the type 4 version with Kyushu numbers. 

Good to see the 32 series coaches available separately. I bought the Chuo line commuter set for the steam heating unit.. I know this did not operate in Kyushu but it' s different.

Kato announced that they will be making a new KiHa 58 model. I think that's a pretty good choice considering that Kato's latest KiHa 58 release is a very old one. The JR East E351 series will also get a new release.

I've pretty much gone with tomix for my Kihas, but I'm interested to see how the 58 comes out.  I thought it was another HO model from the pictures, with all those hoses on the front.  Perhaps these new models mean kato will finally be able to compete with tomix on the small DMU front. 

ooohhh... I dunno if this is good news or bad news... Why couldn't Kato make the E353 instead... making a re-release of an older model with just some enhancements... besides the 351 is probably facing retirement pretty soon...

9 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I've pretty much gone with tomix for my Kihas, but I'm interested to see how the 58 comes out.  I thought it was another HO model from the pictures, with all those hoses on the front.  Perhaps these new models mean kato will finally be able to compete with tomix on the small DMU front. 

Considering the huge selection of High Grade diesels that Tomix has in their catalogue there's still a long way to go for Kato to be able to properly compete.

8 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

ooohhh... I dunno if this is good news or bad news... Why couldn't Kato make the E353 instead... making a re-release of an older model with just some enhancements... besides the 351 is probably facing retirement pretty soon...

Well, the nearing retirement of the E351 and accompanying popularity will probably make this release plenty viable. As for the E353 I think they're just waiting for the first mass production formations to be delivered instead of releasing a prototype train that's still only doing test runs.

On 3/10/2017 at 0:37 PM, Kabutoni said:

However, I do think that at some point in the future Kato will release the Tōkyū 7000 in a Ikegami/Tamagawa line 3-car formation, as weirdly this hasn't been released by Greenmax or a generally available Tomytec model! It's quite a big gap in the market, as these trains still run and are quite popular as well.

I have just noticed that.  I spent a week traveling between Tamagawa and Kamata.  And went looking for the models.  the kids really like them cos they were small and easy to walk around in.

Greenmax do a 4 car 7000 model.  That you build yourself.  But could be built I guess into a 3 car???  But that is not my thing at the moment. http://www.greenmax.co.jp/pdf/424_manual.pdf

I rode the Kininaru train yellow/navy train also.  And a modern green fibreglassed front cab train I'm unable to identify.

Edited by katoftw

The new page from Kato:

2018_2.jpg

I think ill have to get the Hokutosei now...

The new HB-E300 Buna is cool release too...and the new E351 model, I wonder what'll be different from the older on, maybe they fixed the derailing problem that some of them had? :D

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1

YES! Guess that HB-E300 didn't take too long to be released ~~ only a matter of time... what's missing after the Buna, Furusato and Shirakami? The Asanaro?

• Like 1

Not 100% sure where to put this.  Was a discussion about Kato advert material last week.  This is a Popondetta vs Kato two side A4 flyer made for the Hakata/Kyushu stores.  I discussed with someone about puting these up for view.

59d80049a489f_popondettakatokyushu1.thumb.jpg.f487e28903573b92d5345790a55988f1.jpg

popondetta_kato_kyushu_2.thumb.jpg.116e78cfddfb9a520828b2d211419245.jpg

Edited by katoftw
  • Like 4
Das Steinkopf
9 hours ago, katoftw said:

Not 100% sure where to put this.  Was a discussion about Kato advert material last week.  This is a Popondetta vs Kato two side A4 flyer made for the Hakata/Kyushu stores.  I discussed with someone about puting these up for view.

59d80049a489f_popondettakatokyushu1.thumb.jpg.f487e28903573b92d5345790a55988f1.jpg

popondetta_kato_kyushu_2.thumb.jpg.116e78cfddfb9a520828b2d211419245.jpg

They certainly were plugging the whole Kyushu train thing when I was there in April and I found it very hard to stave off the temptation to buy some JR Kyushu models with so many gorgeous trains on display, mind you  somehow I dodged taking the plunge on an RhB Alegra given the price they had them for.