Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

For that price do the lights actually work though? (compare with the price of the Yo 5000 and WaWafu 29500)

I have the Tomix version which has working lights (but has ugly spring pickup), but for that low price I wouldn't be adverse to replacing it if the lights work as they do in the other Kato guard cars.

Good point. The translated descriptions on HS mention tail lights for the other two, but not for the YO 8000.  Given the much lower cost, I wouldn't be surprised if there are none.

That said, daylight freights seem to use those red disks rather than tail lights.  And while I can't be sure, my reading of the Japanese wikipedia pages for the three suggest that only the YO 8000 remains in use (although that's far from clear).  Does anyone know for sure if the others remain in use for special moves?

EF 62 is new for Kato for sure.  I have the Microace version in brown.  It was introduced I believe to haul passenger trains up to the Usui Pass to Nagano, assisted by the EF 63's introduced at the same time and interestingly, is the only Co-Co electric loco ever to be made for main line use. I guess it's just another one for the stable, seeing that these Kato offerings run as smoothly as silk :)

Angus

Release Poster for May 2011

A bit behind, the reservation schedule was there at the beginning of the month but Kato didn't make a poster until this week. Posting it mostly for completion and for the few people who don't obsessively check this stuff.

The main new item for May is the 24 series Fuji sleeper train. Kato has two new engines to pull it. The EF65-1000 and EF81-300. The EF65 is advertised as 'late' type, but the number boards included cast some doubt on which paint scheme was being used. The poster seems to confirm the blue and cream colors.

The other new item is the Keiyo 205 10-car set. At the moment the actual release date looks to be the beginning of April - an odd trend of Kato recently to shuffle rather then postpone items on the release schedule.

N scale reissues include:

Cassiopeia sets

100 Series

EF510-500 in Hokutosei colors

EF210-100

HO is limited to Wamu 380000.

post-219-13569927101796_thumb.jpg

Well, the Hokutosei EF510 is tempting.

It's a lovely model, and has updated tooling which makes it ever so slightly different than the original JRF EF510 release. The only design flaw is that's quite hard to remove from the case foam hahaha. I have no idea what to grab onto!

Martijn Meerts

Interesting that they added some rudimentary line-side details, good reference for when you add your own line-side details :)

I don't think that's a new station, just the existing Overhead Transit Station (which came out in Japan two years ago; I have one) and the new V15 Double-track Station Yard set (presently up for reservation with no clear due date), which has been discussed on another thread.

That's correct, it's just an example of use of the V15 set. More pics: http://www.katomodels.com/n/unitrack_v15/ .

Release Poster for June 2011

New this month:

813-200 Series for JR Kyushu (3-car set)

Kato is releasing the main version that runs on the Kagoshima Main Line. Kato also mentions that this is part of the same family of 'community' trains as their E127. Kato says the Mojiko destination is preattached, with Muta Hiroshi included in the package. This suggests it will use the same plastic destination plates that the E233 and E127 models have. Also has flywheel drive as expected with this tooling generation. Unfortunately like everything new this month, no specific mention of DCC ready, despite this obviously being a new tooling.

209-500 Series for Musashino Line, JR East (8-car set)

Looks to be a repaint with some detail parts for the skirt and other body details to match the current prototype. Unfortunately uses destination stickers and has detail parts that need to be attached. So unlike the 813, this is obviously about 2 generations of tooling back (the generation before the 2 generations of DCC tooling). Still new enough tooling design to include flywheel drive.

Kiha 181 'Hamakaze' Limited Express, JR West (6-car set)

Another relatively new tooling design. Flywheel drive, body mount couplers, appears that detail parts are already attached. Kato seems to be saying it has included several head markers including special event ones. Also it sounds like it includes the little plastic cover for the front coupler, but I can't be sure.

3 new Portram models

Green, Yellow and Purple Toyama trams. This picks up some of the colors TomyTec covered in their original run but Kato didn't. Of interest is green - Kato did cover that one in their initial run. The prototype photo indicates this is a special 'eco' painted train version.

Reruns:

0-Series and N700 Shinkansen

D51-498

Tora 45000 and Seki 6000

D51 Starter set

HO:

Only reruns this month, the Wamu 80000 and Yo 5000.

post-219-13569927275806_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

813-200 Series for JR Kyushu (3-car set)

Kato is releasing the main version that runs on the Kagoshima Main Line. Kato also mentions that this is part of the same family of 'community' trains as their E127. Kato says the Mojiko destination is preattached, with Muta Hiroshi included in the package. This suggests it will use the same plastic destination plates that the E233 and E127 models have. Also has flywheel drive as expected with this tooling generation. Unfortunately like everything new this month, no specific mention of DCC ready, despite this obviously being a new tooling.

It's the same train that Micro-Ace relased a couple of months ago right?

I will totally buy it though I fing the price (12'075¥) a bit high for a Kato 3 cars set. I bought my E231 Yamanote 4 cars set for around 8000¥.

Anyway, it's part of my nostalgic-Fukuoka purchases... ^_^

HS has indicated the prices for the Kato sets are tentative, so they may not be final.

The paint scheme and some details are different from the Microace 813 releases, as this is the -200 version (black with some red, abreast instead of longitudinal seating, toilet in the cab car). Regardless of price I'd also put my money on the Kato release being better - better motor (the Microace has the older big block motor where as this seems to have Kato's latest flywheel), better couplers, better lights, and probably the same level of detail.

Again, with no mention of DCC it's hard to nail down exactly what kind of tooling Kato is using for this and thus if there is any worth in the higher price. Same thing with the pricing of the Kiha 181.

lordwinslow2

I like the 813 200 Series.  I think I am going to pick up that one, I like the dark red color and the look of it.

Winslow

Not counting the outer stairway, the expansion is 99mm wide across the upper hallway, which is formed of two sections (33mm and 66mm) which can be joined to each other and the station/stairs in any combination (one end has tabs that slide into place, the other has the lip they lock against).  So you could use the hallway from one set to span a gap that wide. When used with a platform, however, they go in a specific order, as only the long segment is notched to fit the canopy.

However, the access down to the platform is not from this hallway, but from the wider section, which does not span the

complete width.  You could potentially modify the second set so that the cross-hall (the 66mm part) turned and had a connection to the wider part (removing one of the two stairs in the process).  That would be a fair bit of kitbashing. The wide section does not separate from the platform, and can't be extended without adding more plastic.

It also means that if you attached the stairway, there would be an access from the stairs to the platform that didn't go through the ticket counter (main building).  As designed, someone entering via the stairs walks over the platform into the station via the narrow corridor, presumably goes through the ticket gates, and then returns to the platform via the wide corridor and down the stairs to the platform. I solved this problem in my station by having two station buildings, and using the narrow hallway only as the connection between them, with no stairs at all (as seen in the placement test photo below; I still haven't finished with this part of the layout).

Also, the 99mm hallway is not centered on the platform.  It extends 17mm from the platform canopy on one side (the station side) and 22mm from the canopy on the other.  I think this has to do with the difference between the width across the platform and two tracks (~41mm + 2x25mm = ~91mm) versus the ~100mm spacing between sets of parallel platforms (i.e., the 100mm width of viaduct station segments). That doesn't matter if you're eliminating the center section and just using the hallway, but it is something to be aware of.

post-264-13569927475234_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569927475879_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569927476549_thumb.jpg

post-264-13569927477158_thumb.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

Ken:

You are a real asset to this forum.

I like how you make even the plastic people pay their fares. LOL.

Sounds like I oughta just go with a 36" wide ntrak module and use 3- 9 foot sidings for the ground level stations. More room to park long trains.