Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

I just pre-ordered the full E353 and ICE4 from MTP. There goes my spending money for my Japan trip, I hope they’ll be ready when I’m there late March so i can bring it back with and save a little on shipping.

• Haha 2

Now, I might have a decent meal from the shipping savings.  I’m going to go there with a bag inside a bag like someone had suggested. 😀

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

I just pre-ordered the full E353 and ICE4 from MTP. There goes my spending money for my Japan trip, I hope they’ll be ready when I’m there late March so i can bring it back with and save a little on shipping.

After seeing your post, I pre-ordered the ICE4 and add-on from MTP, and cancelled my reservation at modellbahnshop-lippe.  I much prefer giving my orders to Nariichi as he often goes out of his way to acquire a rare part for me. 

Woo hoo. I'm excited!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

After seeing your post, I pre-ordered the ICE4 and add-on from MTP, and cancelled my reservation at modellbahnshop-lippe.  I much prefer giving my orders to Nariichi as he often goes out of his way to acquire a rare part for me. 

Woo hoo. I'm excited!

Just BTW, there is no need to cancel your Lippe order.  It is just a "reservation" and when it comes in, they email you and give you 5 days to order it.  After that they release it to general sale.  So it cannot hurt to keep it as a backup in case there is an issue (like the faux-issue with the Kitty 500, but where they actually cancel your order...) as you can just ignore it when Lippe emails you or, since Japan is a month ahead of Europe for release, when MTP actually ships to you.

12 hours ago, chadbag said:

Just BTW, there is no need to cancel your Lippe order.  It is just a "reservation" and when it comes in, they email you and give you 5 days to order it.  After that they release it to general sale.  So it cannot hurt to keep it as a backup in case there is an issue (like the faux-issue with the Kitty 500, but where they actually cancel your order...) as you can just ignore it when Lippe emails you or, since Japan is a month ahead of Europe for release, when MTP actually ships to you.

It's funny,  but my Kitty pre-order was never cancelled. Regarding the ICE4, a mishap with the release could definitely screw you up at Hobby Search. But I'm 100% sure that Nariichi would handle it so no one gets screwed. He's very diligent about that. Also, he recently went far out of his way to source a part for me that had minimal profit for him, so I'd much prefer to give him the business.

29 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

It's funny,  but my Kitty pre-order was never cancelled. Regarding the ICE4, a mishap with the release could definitely screw you up at Hobby Search. But I'm 100% sure that Nariichi would handle it so no one gets screwed. He's very diligent about that. Also, he recently went far out of his way to source a part for me that had minimal profit for him, so I'd much prefer to give him the business.

By all means, give him the business (and save yourself).  Just saying there is no need to "cancel" the Lippe stuff since it does not obligate you to anything, so there is no danger, for the case you need a backup plan.

• Like 1
On 11/9/2018 at 12:34 PM, chadbag said:

By all means, give him the business (and save yourself).  Just saying there is no need to "cancel" the Lippe stuff since it does not obligate you to anything, so there is no danger, for the case you need a backup plan.

True.

So I just went amok and pre-ordered the Kato E353 4+5 car set, and not the 3-car addon set (which I hope is not my regret later)… and also a ton of spares like spare motor units for the E353 and the E257, dummy coupler covers, destination decals, light boards etc. cause I need to get my E257 to move again, and since I also have the E257-500 a spare motor is always welcomed ~

9 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

So I just went amok and pre-ordered the Kato E353 4+5 car set, and not the 3-car addon set (which I hope is not my regret later)…

Looks like the E353 is entering Kato's BEST range of consists so there should be a reasonable frequent re-release of these sets. I will have to hold off despite wanting the E353. I have some HO pre orders due in March plus I've also heard Kato USA are doing another run of EMD E7 in Santa Fe in red Warbonnet along with the SF Super Chief. I'm hoping they see fit to release a PRR Broadway limited again at some point. Not massively into US rail but these name trains are nice sets.

Regards E353, Roundhouse is releasing a pack to motorize the 3 car additional set. And add the missing directional lights.

But 4200 yen for the set on HS. Plus 9350 for the 3 car set. Works out more than the 12XXX 4 car basic set. Not sure they did there sums on this?

Edited by katoftw
1 hour ago, katoftw said:

But 4200 yen for the set on HS. Plus 9350 for the 3 car set. Works out more than the 12XXX 4 car basic set. Not sure they did there sums on this?

KATO works in mysterious ways in this regard. For example I am very excited for the KATO shop Kyoto release of the NEX cabin cars with opened doors, but they sell them only as 2 cabin cars, with no way to purchase a single middle car. So people owning the normal sets will always have 1 middle car short or 2 cabin cars unused. ?????

https://www.katomodels-kyoto.com/e259nex

1 hour ago, Yavianice said:

KATO works in mysterious ways in this regard. For example I am very excited for the KATO shop Kyoto release of the NEX cabin cars with opened doors, but they sell them only as 2 cabin cars, with no way to purchase a single middle car. So people owning the normal sets will always have 1 middle car short or 2 cabin cars unused. ?????

https://www.katomodels-kyoto.com/e259nex

I've been healed from getting excited at those modified Kato Shop Kyoto models ever since I saw the detailed pictures of those mods:

Everyone who does have just a little experience in working on models can do this. Just grab two cab cars from those spare part baskets at Popondetta or Assy 4815-1A, a pack of Assy z05-0808 and get to it. Save over ¥10k.

Edited by Suica
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Suica said:

Everyone who does have just a little experience in working on models can do this. Just grab two cab cars from those spare part baskets at Popondetta or Assy 4815-1A, a pack of Assy z05-0808 and get to it. Save over ¥10k.

Maybe it would be possible to glue the open doors extracted from the spare cab cars to the diaphragm frame and cut out two noches on the front bottom of the intact cab cars to allow the assemblies to be slid on and off like on some dmus/emus, so they could be converted back and forth easily.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

16k for 2 cars with opened doors... I think i'll pass... are those, reversible? 

It isn't. Those doors are cut from another shell and glued on. Hence my suggestion to do it yourself. To make them detachable one could do what kvp mentioned or even work with magnets(?)

5 hours ago, gavino200 said:

It looks like a well made model. I especially like the specialized interior lighting. But the train, has a bad case of ugly, so I'll pass on this one.

When you start seeing them being shown off here next month, you'll wish you had...   🙂

26 minutes ago, chadbag said:

When you start seeing them being shown off here next month, you'll wish you had...   🙂

I won't. I was tempted by the Shikishima but resisted because I thought the front of the train looked a bit like a tour bus. Irrationally, the ivory box set packaging almost pushed me over the edge. 

This time I feel no conflict at all. None!

Edited by gavino200
1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

I won't. I was tempted by the Shikishima but resisted because I thought the front of the train looked a bit like a tour bus. Irrationally, the ivory box set packaging almost pushed me over the edge. 

This time I feel no conflict at all. None!

Well, when you change your mind, I have an extra Shikishima available as well...

• Haha 2

So dumb question kind of answered by the pics: do the standard Kato light sets fit in the lit lounge and dining cars with no problem? Also glad there's an off switch for the rear headlights, now I only need a decoder for the locomotive.