Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

looking at it more, I think the Tomix B is the gold rails.  The number plates include the number that is on the KATO announcement.  DE10 1207

Figures that I have the Tomix A.   Well, I need some more KATO DE10...

Das Steinkopf

Here is my photo again of DE10-1756 sitting at Kumamoto Eki after pulling the SL Hitoyoshi in from the yard, the handrails are a copper like colour, this model is one of the ones that are represented in the Tomix A model but not the Kato version. With the handrails portrayed in the Tomix models I suspect that the orange colour was supposed to be emulate copper and yellow for gold, I have no idea as to why they had this variation in such a small fleet as there are four locomotives with the gold handrails and four with the copper coloured handrails.

37851204791_984c949fa2_z_d.jpg

Edited by Das Steinkopf

I know the Kato sound card has been around for sometime now, but is this possible? I mean, from what I see, it is a Tomix N1001 controller with tomix tracks! 

12 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

I know the Kato sound card has been around for sometime now, but is this possible? I mean, from what I see, it is a Tomix N1001 controller with tomix tracks! 

The Kato sound unit has two inputs, one analog jump throttle and one digital serial port for the new bluetooth throttle. There is very little difference between the Kato SX throttle and the Tomix N1001 throttle in therms of output signal. For the sound unit, both are just jump throttles. The rest is handled by the Kato sound unit. You'll have to splice two wires. A Tomix throttle to Kato sound unit jump cable and a Kato sound unit to Tomix feeder traction power feed cable. Both are two wire cables carrying 0-12V DC signals. From the video, it looks like a Kato and a Tomix power feed extension cable was cut up to aquire the 4 connectors with wires needed for the 2 wires (a Tomix plug to Kato in and a Kato out to Tomix socket).

• Thanks 1
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, kvp said:

The Kato sound unit has two inputs, one analog jump throttle and one digital serial port for the new bluetooth throttle. There is very little difference between the Kato SX throttle and the Tomix N1001 throttle in therms of output signal. For the sound unit, both are just jump throttles. The rest is handled by the Kato sound unit. You'll have to splice two wires. A Tomix throttle to Kato sound unit jump cable and a Kato sound unit to Tomix feeder traction power feed cable. Both are two wire cables carrying 0-12V DC signals. From the video, it looks like a Kato and a Tomix power feed extension cable was cut up to aquire the 4 connectors with wires needed for the 2 wires (a Tomix plug to Kato in and a Kato out to Tomix socket).

Interesting... But sorry my close to zero knowledge means I don't really understand the above... Is it possible to connect a Tomix N1001 with the Kato sound box? Would love to have more ideas and confirmations before moving ahead to getting a sound box... Not only is it more fun, it also has the blue tooth function to remote control trains, something which I am finding more and more useful for me especially more so when i'm alone and need to work on the layout yet drive the trains at the same time without having to move around too much... 

58 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Interesting... But sorry my close to zero knowledge means I don't really understand the above... Is it possible to connect a Tomix N1001 with the Kato sound box? Would love to have more ideas and confirmations before moving ahead to getting a sound box... Not only is it more fun, it also has the blue tooth function to remote control trains, something which I am finding more and more useful for me especially more so when i'm alone and need to work on the layout yet drive the trains at the same time without having to move around too much... 

As the video above shows, yes. The track output of the Tomix throttle goes into the jump throttle input of the Kato sound unit and the Kato sound unit track output goes into the Tomix track feeder. Two adapter cables (a Tomix to Kato and a Kato to Tomix) are needed, created from one Kato and one Tomix extension cable.

14 hours ago, kvp said:

As the video above shows, yes. The track output of the Tomix throttle goes into the jump throttle input of the Kato sound unit and the Kato sound unit track output goes into the Tomix track feeder. Two adapter cables (a Tomix to Kato and a Kato to Tomix) are needed, created from one Kato and one Tomix extension cable.

I see... thanks! Does this video demonstrates the connection right? 

3 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

I see... thanks! Does this video demonstrates the connection right? 

More or less yes. For a Tomix throttle and Tomix tracks, you'll have to cut up two extension cables (a Tomix and a Kato) and connect them together mixed, so you get a Tomix to Kato and a Kato to Tomix adapter cable. For a Tomix throttle, you'll better off just using in the Kato sound box external DC power brick as Tomix throttles don't have AC accessory outputs.

The Kato cable and AC adapter in the video works nicely for screw terminal packs though with DC track out and AC accessory out.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, katoftw said:

Turns out one off the coaches in the new Yamaguchi set has poor blurred printing. Replacements are being made.

From my reading of the advisory issued by Kato, it seems that the placement of the coach number is incorrect (too far to the left) rather than blurred printing. 

Good amount of quality releases planned for February.  I'll finally be able to overcome my regret at selling my first blue Azusa, and the replacement with dcc readiness to boot!  Plus the non-air conditioned 58 series is a cool variant I wasn't expecting to see from kato.

Edited by Kiha66

Also good news, kato released the prices for the HO kiha 81/82 release in march/April.  Seems to be in line with previous releases.  I'll certainly be getting some if I have the spending money that month.

• Like 1

I couldn’t resist pre-ordering the HO Kiha 82 4 car set and a couple of Kiha 81s.

It seems they have updated the motor car so it may not be suitable to run in a consist with the older version. Looks like the headlights and head mark light are different colours also to simulate the real thing.

Ami Ami have some reasonable discounts but I couldn’t find the KiHa 80, KiRo 80 or KiShi 80 on their website.

Roll on March/April

• Like 1