Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Looks like another run of Koki 106+107’s are on the way. Does anyone know when the last run was? I’ve been looking at them online and the prices are sky high.

Another run of the 1:80 Hokutosei in 2020, pre-orders at Hobbysearch opened a couple of days ago. Unsurprising given the EF81 is being offered to match, and there are still plenty of EF510s about at very sane prices considering what you get for the money.

Can't commit to a pre-order but hopefully as per last time they'll hang around for a month or two before prices get ridiculous. I have the EF510 and a lonely SuRoHaNe 25-500 in need of some company!

Yeah, although I’d prefer some older coaches, I’m kind of tempted by the 4 car set, just for the scarcity of them.  I’ll probably kick myself if I miss it again.

On 11/30/2019 at 3:26 PM, katoftw said:

First and only run of the Kato 106+107s was 2017.

To be fair, I think they did a follow up run.  I know they had disappeared and were long gone and stupid expensive for a couple months, and then were available again.  I picked up mine in Dec 2017 or early Jan 2018 and noticed they disappeared soon after that, only to reappear everywhere.

Don't know if there was a re-run or what.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chadbag said:

To be fair, I think they did a follow up run.  I know they had disappeared and were long gone and stupid expensive for a couple months, and then were available again.  I picked up mine in Dec 2017 or early Jan 2018 and noticed they disappeared soon after that, only to reappear everywhere.

Don't know if there was a re-run or what.

Dec 2018 2 car 107s re-release

Apr 2018 2 car 106s re-release

Oct 2017 10 car 106+107s new release

To be fair, you can check the Kato website for confirmation.

12 hours ago, katoftw said:

Dec 2018 2 car 107s re-release

Apr 2018 2 car 106s re-release

Oct 2017 10 car 106+107s new release

To be fair, you can check the Kato website for confirmation.

A second run of the same release == is that a re-release?  I am talking about a second run of a popular item.

Yes

New = 1st release

Re = second or third or eleventh etc release

Of any 106 or 107 sets, 2 or 10 cars. The above release dates were their last occassions of release.

Edited by katoftw
12 minutes ago, katoftw said:

I am not talking about a new planned and announced production run.  I am talking about they produce X units and release them, but follow on with another run of Y units soon there after.  It is not an announced new release.  I think that has happened a few times based on comments here but I don't remember for which train(s).  They are popular and start selling out and then a month later another tranche hits the market and all the dealers have stock again.

'Restocking' is a common thing. But a shop can only restock an item if the manufacturer has extras available. Which hasnt been the case for the 106+107 10 car set. If you are referencing other train. I fail to see the relevance.

22 minutes ago, katoftw said:

'Restocking' is a common thing. But a shop can only restock an item if the manufacturer has extras available. Which hasnt been the case for the 106+107 10 car set. If you are referencing other train. I fail to see the relevance.

Never mind then.  I specifically laid out that at the beginning of 2018 I noticed that the 106+107 sets became unavailable everywhere.  A month or two later they became available again for a short while everywhere (per my observations).  There have also been comments that there were releases where KATO went and did another production run and made them available to dealers after seeing that they were popular. This was not a re-release, but extended production to meet demand.  (The comments to this effect were no 106+107 related).   I was surmising that a similar circumstance could explain why the 106+107 sets became available again after a short while of not being available -- KATO released another production run (extended the current production to meet demand).   For some reason you keep insisting that this is impossible because KATO has only "released" it once, when I am not talking about official "releases" or "re-releases".

So you dont really know yourself and making statements that are based on what others have said? But insist my statement was incorrect? Sorry but that is a little unfair.

As for the Kato release over two separate split months. The only model since 2017 that Kato has done that with is the seven stars. So it isnt a regular procedure for Kato. And hence shouldnt be applied to other releases for a guessing game of release dates.

Kato have however, for example the SL Yamaguchi sets released the combined D51+5x coach set one month. Then released the D51 and 5x coach set separately the following month.

Edited by katoftw
10 minutes ago, katoftw said:

So you dont really know yourself and making statements that are based on what others have said. But insist my statement was incorrect?

As for the Kato release over two separate split months. The only model since 2017 that Kato has done that with is the seven stars. So it isnt a regular procedure for Kato. And hence shouldnt be applied to other releases for a guessing game of release dates.

Kato have however, for example the SL Yamaguchi sets released the combined D51+5x coach set one month. Then released the D51 and 5x coach set separately the following month.

If you have some info that I am not aware of. Please provide it so that the correct info is available to all.

I think we are even, unless you work for KATO, as you have no inside knowledge of how they work either.

7 hours ago, katoftw said:

Not sure if anyone else noticed.  But when the release date hit for the freight yard set.  New pics arrived.

https://www.katomodels.com/product/n/freight_depot

Cool thanks.  That looks a lot more interesting.  Once we get the house built and I start the "permanent" layout, maybe I'll see if I can find this in Japan when we are there at a store, or maybe a re-release in the future.  I did not like the mockups but I do like this.  Especially after seeing a bunch of freight yard type stuff while we were in Japan the last time.

I hope Kato see fit to lose that conversion track yard mouth if they sell well. Be good to have a turnout section that matches the track spacing perfectly.

From KATO's schedule page:

※ [Apologies] We have previously announced that part number: 10-1584 / 1585  (651 series) and part number: 10-1159 to 1161 (E233 Series Keihin Tohoku Line) will be released in December. However, due to various circumstances, release is delayed awaiting the following release schedule. Sorry for the inconvenience. (Updated on 12/12)

Amazon says delivery is now expected in February 2020. Seems I'm not getting my 651 for Christmas. :(

Edited by SuperAzusa
Das Steinkopf

May's release poster has been put up with a mixed bag of items which includes some new releases as well as some rereleases, for freight fans there is the EF64-1000, DD51-800, EF65-500P, EF65-0, Yabashi Industries HoKi 9500 8 car set, Ku 5000 in 8 car and single car as well as the Yo 8000. I was almost tempted to get the HoKi 9500's but they're just outside my timeline for my contemporay fleet, mind you if someone comes out with a set of Yabashi Industries HoKi 2000 I will be banging cash down on the table quicker than the blink of an eye.The Kansai region gets a little bit of love with the 117 in JNR livery and JR West Kyoto area livery, there is also the Hankyu 9300 Series, the forever temptation of JR Kyushu is also there with the Sonic 883 Series in Blue, I got to ride one of these between Beppu and Hakata and I will have to try resist myself with this one.

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/201912262146235e04ab9f7a04b/2020-5a.pdf

https://s3-ap-northeast-1.amazonaws.com/kato-model/poster/pdf/201912262147055e04abc929a36/2020-5b.pdf

Edited by Das Steinkopf
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, scotspensioner said:

YouTube member Shigemon has uploaded a  review of the 2020 catalogue along with a comparison of the 2019 volume

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Le sigh. 

I spent so long hoping for a source of HoKi  2500 or 9500 wagons, and now, just weeks after I take delivery of a 16-car coal train from minitown, here it is. 

Ah well. No regrets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2