Kato - New Releases

Darren Jeffries

Don't know if it was posted yet but Roundhouse is releasing an upgrade for the older Super Hitachi in the vein of they did with the Super Azusa, new LED light and better blackening to prevent light spillage. Also a power unit for the four car set so you can run it independently. 

• Like 2

And black and gray front couplers in the new style.  So now I can run my JR West 225s and 221s together as they'll have the same front couplers.

Ami Ami have the Kato USA Broadway Limited on their December Preorders. 

I’m pretty tempted but there’s so much other good stuff coming out at the same time.

Some pictures of the KATO Twilight Mizukaze

Exterior

Interior (looks similar to tomix, according to poster)

Edited by Yavianice
corrected link
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Wow, that interior looks great!  Definitely a train that deserves interior lighting.

It might even be one of interior painting and detailing!!

• Like 1

Definitely!  I fully intended to deck mine out when I finally get my hands on one.  I should start collecting the figures I need now so I'll be all ready.

21 hours ago, gavino200 said:

It might even be one of interior painting and detailing!!

I think a lot of passenger coaches would benefit from this, to be honest. The vast majority of models use the same plastic for floor, tables, chairs, internal partition walls and doors... it feels like you’re lucky if you get something like the headrests in a different color. 

Even the tomix shiki shima, for all the “progressive grade” hype and for all its interior lighting, still has chairs and tables that blend together because they’re the same material. 

• Thanks 1

You would need to pay a good chunk more as that level of detailing would add to costs. Few ever get close enough to look in the windows so I think the manufacturers think this is a secondary mod for the few who want the detail and keep costs low on their end.

it is great to do but it’s tedious work.

jeff

On 8/20/2019 at 3:45 PM, Sheffie said:

I think a lot of passenger coaches would benefit from this, to be honest. The vast majority of models use the same plastic for floor, tables, chairs, internal partition walls and doors... it feels like you’re lucky if you get something like the headrests in a different color. 

Even the tomix shiki shima, for all the “progressive grade” hype and for all its interior lighting, still has chairs and tables that blend together because they’re the same material. 

I couldn't agree more. I'm going to do more of this detailing work as time goes by. I really enjoy it. 

Came across this in the back of the newest edition of RM Models.

Seems the Kato shop now stocking some of the Peco Narrow gauge track and rolling stock has some relevance after all.

BFC70E8A-D334-4636-88C1-866A5C02EFEF.jpeg

• Like 2

The RhB Gourmino restaurant car is excellent news, not only is it filling a gap in the range but it also shows Kato are willing to invest in new tooling. It should sell out in weeks if the price is sensible.

I shall have to pre-order it and the Ge 4/4 II...

3 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

The rerun of the kiha 81 is most welcome, I missed it the first time around.

Bit of a no-brainer considering how quickly it sold through.

Although there seems to be limited Kiha 80 (M) around too.

Happy about the JRF DE10 as my Tomix one has horrible silver wheels and has never been a great runner.

• Like 1
Das Steinkopf

Oh well it looks like I will have a fourth JRF DE10 in my fleet, on the upside the three I currently have are Tomix models so I will finally have a Kato diesel to shunt my Kato rolling stock, it would have been nice if they decided to make a HD300 instead but one can only hope.